which 45 label design would you prefer

2»

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    What box set is this for Frank? Psychedelic aliens?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    A combination of the two, with the guy throwing the rock at the bird.

• Options
    lol!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    are they printing the labels 2 spot colors or doing it CMYK? i think CMYK has become so cheap and plate registration is almost non-existent anymore that most place are just printing everything 4 color. if that's the case you could do something way more elaborate.

if youre using spot colors, i'd stick with just the logo at the top. simple and classy

• Options
    Frank, do one where the bird shits on the guy.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    are they printing the labels 2 spot colors or doing it CMYK? i think CMYK has become so cheap and plate registration is almost non-existent anymore that most place are just printing everything 4 color. if that's the case you could do something way more elaborate.

if youre using spot colors, i'd stick with just the logo at the top. simple and classy

My guess is they all do CMYK these days...
    I would have prefered silkscreen printing so you can use dark paper and print with silver or other brighter colors.

These tweo were just rough ideas to figure out which way to go but I think we'll do both since it's going to be a box set of 4 45s. 2 different color combos each.

• 1st is better but not feeling either

• Either could be cool-

But I like the bird a bit better.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i like the font on the first and i like the first better
    but i think it could be better

to be fair, in my mind i'm thinking some ill retro feeling font or simple retro design with that feeling of all the crazy covers you post. these two are both a little too fresh and too clean clean

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I honestly like the grasscutter idea (non cooked though). Also I think a simple font would be best... A bite of the "alabarika store" label font would be a good choice IMO. But if it comes down to these two...the bird is the word.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    the bird is the word.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    there should be a little silhouette of you in your chair in your backyard photo, with the guns and dogs. where is that pic? i know i saved it but cant find it now.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think the plainness of the 2nd one is what's ill. It just looks like an old 70's label.

I would never ever ever think something that looked like that was pre-90s... its a very digital-design-era look.

The bird looks cool.

• The first one for sure, the second one looks 90s. Print spot colours onto coloured labels (one colour black is best, CMYK is horrible for 7 inch label design. stick with the bird logo and a simple old school font (nothing designy or funky) the guys below are the the place for good old school labels. Do one design in black and change the title and colour of the label stock for each 45 and they will look authentic. its so easy to get it wrong with cmyk and make it look cheesy, like alot of euronewfunk releases.

http://www.hamlettprinting.com/

30 second Photoshop mock-up with not the right font but you get the idea.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    The first one for sure, the second one looks 90s. Print spot colours onto coloured labels (one colour black is best, CMYK is horrible for 7 inch label design. stick with the bird logo and a simple old school font (nothing designy or funky) the guys below are the the place for good old school labels. Do one design in black and change the title and colour of the label stock for each 45 and they will look authentic. its so easy to get it wrong with cmyk and make it look cheesy, like alot of euronewfunk releases.

Seriously, that's the way to go, IF you have to go with using one of the two suggested.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The first one for sure, the second one looks 90s. Print spot colours onto coloured labels (one colour black is best, CMYK is horrible for 7 inch label design. stick with the bird logo and a simple old school font (nothing designy or funky) the guys below are the the place for good old school labels. Do one design in black and change the title and colour of the label stock for each 45 and they will look authentic. its so easy to get it wrong with cmyk and make it look cheesy, like alot of euronewfunk releases.

Fryer, I don't even know how to thank you for all of this information!
    This is much more than what I had hoped for and I'm stunned that there is a place that still does silkscreening on record labels. This is incredible!

Thank you!

Frank

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    soulstrut ftw

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Well, I'm just saying, I'm totally going to draw the dude throwing the rock in on those labels when I buy the set. And someday when I'm dead and gone, Future Timmy Digalot is going to wonder what the hell was going through my head when I did it.

• the 2nd one, it reminds me of a Solid State 45 label

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I think I'm going with silver on maroon... one of my fave combinations.

Thanx again for the great input everybody!
    As you noticed, I changed the font like some of you suggested.
    Another great team effort!

Thanx!

Frank

• i like both just press some heat on them

• I think I'm going with silver on maroon... one of my fave combinations.

Thanx again for the great input everybody!
    As you noticed, I changed the font like some of you suggested.
    Another great team effort!

Thanx!

Frank

Silver does like really nice on a dark color for a 7 inch. that's what I did for mine.