Face Tats: Yay or Nay??

2»

Comments

• To each their own.

word.
    but one thing that really bugs me, and i run into this alot, is people who have full sleeve / neck tatoos and then get defensive when you ask them about it?
    If you didnt want to dispay it or didnt anticipate having to explain it for the rest of your life, then yeah...it was a bad life choice.

Why do I need to talk to some (invariably untattooed) asshole about my tattoos?

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

this is like one of those magic eye optical illusions - her nose appears way bigger on the crisis side.

I thought that was a chick but the hair line is like, receding. Feminine guy?

I assumed it was a guy which was why the sculptured eyebrows were a bit surprising (given his otherwise "tough" appearance).

good point. i was too mesmerised by the nose shift.

• Options
    You don't. But don't get all "why me?" about it either when it keeps happening.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i went to college with this dude. he lived in the dorms freshman year and had no tattoos. he returned sophmore year with full sleeves.

tattoos are NOT GANGSTER. if you really do dirt, why would you want anyone to pay that much attention to you.

• STEEL PULSE SUPERFAN!

forget the tatts... look at the boy george eyebrows

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    There used to be a guy in NYC who looked normal in regular light but he had a skull tattooed on his face in glow-in-the-dark ink. In a club with black light he looked pretty over the top.

It was kind of cool, except for having a radioactive face.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    To each their own.

word.
    but one thing that really bugs me, and i run into this alot, is people who have full sleeve / neck tatoos and then get defensive when you ask them about it?
    If you didnt want to dispay it or didnt anticipate having to explain it for the rest of your life, then yeah...it was a bad life choice.

Why do I need to talk to some (invariably untattooed) asshole about my tattoos?

Well, they're essentially a public display of art if they're visible. Kind of like when people ask about a particular t-shirt design you may be wearing.

So you probably have people that are either curious about the motivation behind the artwork, or the people who are curious what will become of all these highly tatted people once the fad subsides.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

once the fad subsides.

a fad that had lasted thousands of years and is found in almost every culture on the planet.

some fad.

muppet.

• As they say, the only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't give a shit that you don't have tattoos.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "Well, they're essentially a public display of art if they're visible. Kind of like when people ask about a particular t-shirt design you may be wearing."

Yes....and regardless of age, so many heavily tattoo'd people seem to react to tattoo questions about them like an insolent 13 year old teenager when you enquire about whatever band T-shirt they are wearing. Guess what....your tattoos, unlike your personal thoughts, are displyed for the workd to see.
    You obviously wanted to make a statement with your tattoo so dont get all bent when people ask you about that statement.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You obviously wanted to make a statement with your tattoo

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

So are boob jobs...but that don't stop me from asking!

• You obviously wanted to make a statement with your tattoo

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

Wow...I was going to say that a woman's breasts are on display (to a certain extent), but you wouldn't go up and talk to her about them. But I guess you would.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

Wow...I was going to say that a woman's breasts are on display (to a certain extent), but you wouldn't go up and talk to her about them. But I guess you would.

Ross, you sound married.

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

I guess im saying, barring a few specific instances (non-elective reconstructive surgery, etc), that people who ELECTIVELY choose to alter thier physical appearence (tats, peircings, boob jobs, liberty spike hairdo, etc) in such a way that obvioulsy brings attention, should be prepared regarding enquiries. ESPECIALLY, as the title of this thread indicates, someone who gets a face or neck tattoo.

once the fad subsides.

a fad that had lasted thousands of years and is found in almost every culture on the planet.

some fad.

muppet.

And the current proliferation isn't a fad? Right.

Forever and always people have been tatting up their faces. Back in the 50s, the same proportion of people had tats on their faces.

No.

Or their asses.

No.

Or their ankles.

No.

You know exactly what I mean.

Muppet dick.

Absolutely incorrect

They're for me, not you

Ross, you sound married.

Haha...

I'm sure the novelty of explanation wears off after a while, but it's new for each person who sees it. So I would think that something that is clearly made as a statement (reference face tat guy/chick earlier in the thread) should engender a certain expectation of inquiry from the general public. Whether or not one agrees with it is another thing, but it's just going to happen.

I'm also going to take a stab that faux's "for himself" tattoo, combined with him being a lawyer, is probably not something earth shattering/highly visible.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    FUCK NAY

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

I like boob jobs, they pay well.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think I posted this story last time this topic came up, but it is something which sticks with me. My old friend Adam (I have lost contact with him) came from a family which was pretty into the whole biker gang scene here, his uncle was one of the head guys. Anyway, Adam's Mom sent him off to stay at his Uncle's place for the weekend once when he was 13. She was not impressed when he returned with a fully tattooed face of their gang symbols. He was then removed from high school because of these tattoos. Totally killed his future prospects. Later (when he was in his late 20s & gang related tattoo removal became subsidised by the govt) he had to go through the pain of having them lasered off his face, he was in serious pain while that treatment was going down. Irony is that he was never really into the gang thing, it was just an epic party that weekend which changed his life. His Mom was pissed off & I don't think she has spoken to her brother since. I am glad I didn't get sent to my Uncle's place to stay back then, I don't think I could teach music at a high school with hells angels tatts on my face I wonder what Adam is up to these days with no facial tattoos......

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I know that guy, lol.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

I know that guy, lol.

He looks awfully sensitive.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I know that guy, lol.

He looks awfully sensitive.

Yeah, he gets punchy.

• I was confused as to where his shape-up ended and his tattoos began. But for face tats, I only say yay for her.

http://www.hlisted.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/danger.jpg

She may be crazy, but dagummit she's a fine lady.

• I'm thinking about getting a tattoo.

• Options
    ^^
    nooooooo. she looks weird. I mean, I'd blap...but still.