Web Hosting Help

lazolalazola 23 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
just wanted to see if any strutters had any recommendations for web hosts. My blog partner and I are looking to move to a new server due to current complications with a 3rd party, and we're inundated with the ever expansive array of hosts and server folks as were searching around the interwebs. We're not looking for much, though customer service, server reliability, and price range are obvious preferences. Also looking for a 'simple' package, it would be nice to find unlimited bandwidth and at least 50 + gigs disc space (though preferably unlimited), but we don't need too much past that. Got anyone you guys might recommend? Or anyone to steer clear of?Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I'm interested in this as well. I've got a podcast I've been doing for 3+ years on hold because of some greasy 3rd party moves. It's time to take full ownership and I'd love some direction on this.

Thanks in advance.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Have so far had a great experience with Liquidweb. Our website went down today, Liquidweb was already on the problem when I called, had it fixed in five minutes.

• lazolalazola 23 Posts
    Have so far had a great experience with Liquidweb. Our website went down today, Liquidweb was already on the problem when I called, had it fixed in five minutes.

That's what I would like to have, our current guys take forever to get back to us. Is the limited bandwidth ever a problem?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I use godaddy. don't know if it's good or bad because it's all I had but at least you can get someone on the phone 24 hours a day.

Anybody have info or experience w/ dedicated streaming servers for internet rdio? I'm kinda lost.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've been with lunarpages for just over five years and never had any issues with them. They're pretty relaxed regarding bandwith in general (I got my first semi warning from them last month when I was using over 5% of the server), reasonably priced and have always helped out whenever I've hassled them with random tech questions.

• lazolalazola 23 Posts
    Thanks! Great recommendations. I've heard good things of lunarpages so I'll keep that in mind. Go Daddy seems to have great prices and all, but user reviews suggest customer service is non-existent or at least somewhat difficult. That doesn't seem to be your consensus though, so maybe I just saw a few bad review in a row.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Thanks! Great recommendations. I've heard good things of lunarpages so I'll keep that in mind. Go Daddy seems to have great prices and all, but user reviews suggest customer service is non-existent or at least somewhat difficult. That doesn't seem to be your consensus though, so maybe I just saw a few bad review in a row.

I've been re-designing/managing a small record label site hosted on Go Daddy. The one time I needed to call in for help I got someone on the line right away who was friendly and knowledgeable. I don't love their layout but once you know where everything is it works fine.

I use MySQL/PHP for the label data and I installed a Wordpress blog for the front page (which also is built with MySQL/PHP). Installation for both went relatively smoothly. No complaints.

I use Angelfire for my band's website but I'll likely switch over to Go Daddy soon (Angelfire doesn't offer MySQL/PHP).

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Media Temple.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Media Temple.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Surpass has been good, but I don't have anything high demand.

• Options
    Here's a "legal" question:

Webhosts (the 2 I spoke to) will not let me have a blog that would contain a mix that is downloadable due to copyright laws.

What should I do?

Here's a "legal" question:

Webhosts (the 2 I spoke to) will not let me have a blog that would contain a mix that is downloadable due to copyright laws.

What should I do?

If you discuss it with them they obviously can't tell you it's ok, duh.

• Options
    Right. Thanks for that.

Now if I DON'T discuss it, and I go through all the trouble setting shit up, they could take it all down (potentially) a few days or weeks in.

I'd like to hear from a dude (or dudes) with actual experience on how to proceed.

I'm noy trying to make money, just want to post mixes fo people to dl for free.

Right. Thanks for that.

Now if I DON'T discuss it, and I go through all the trouble setting shit up, they could take it all down (potentially) a few days or weeks in.

I'd like to hear from a dude (or dudes) with actual experience on how to proceed.

I'm noy trying to make money, just want to post mixes fo people to dl for free.

Ha, no problem.

But seriously, I wouldn't expect an established company to say "Yeah great!" if you are asking them to do something that is illegal.

You may want to scribble down some of your favorite music blogs' URLs, pull up a whois, and see who hosts their sites.