1200 repair

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I know this has been asked quite a few times. But, a search isn't bringing up anything. Left channel in my 1200MK2 is totally out. I've opened it up and checked the connections and it all seems to be fine. I'm guessing it has to do with the RCA male parts the plug into the mixer. I've watched videos on repairing the actual wire on YouTube. Not sure I want to go that route. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Call your local electronics repair shop.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    If you were in Australia I could put you in touch with a really cool guy that fixes 1200s and mixers for a number of DJ stores and companies.

But yeah...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Call your local electronics repair shop.

And just get new rca's completely. I've had that problem at least 5 times in the past and that always the solution.

• PepesoLPepesoL 67 Posts
    If you are handy with a soldering iron then I would just replace the rca lead completely .
    Make sure your 1200 is unplugged so you are not drawing anything across the circuit board . Which you should be doing anyway if you are opening it up.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    and if you replace the RCA, you may as well do the internal ground wire mod while you are at it. means you never have to fuck around with those ground cables again.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Do any of you have any links to proper instructions on replacing the RCA altogether? As well as the internal ground wire mod?

I called one place that said it might be $100 for parts and labor to fix it. Not sure if it's worth the price or not.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I did this for a friend a couple weeks ago and this is the guide that I followed.

http://www.djdepot.com/changing_rca_cables_technics_1200.html

Granted...I'm an electrical engineering and pretty handy with a soldering iron, but if you aren't a complete moron, can unscrew some screws, be gentle, and have some patience with a soldering iron, you should be ok.

So you know, the hardest part for me was actually getting the replacement RCA cables through the crimping clip (picture 2 in the guide). I used some fat Hossa cables from Guitar Center, and you can get them through the clip, but you will REALLY have to push hard to get the clip to come back together again.

If you're in the DC area, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    don't do the internal ground mod if you ever plan to use s.erato. it's a mess.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Do any of you have any links to proper instructions on replacing the RCA altogether? As well as the internal ground wire mod?

I called one place that said it might be $100 for parts and labor to fix it. Not sure if it's worth the price or not.

just do a simple patch by soldering on a new rca to the existing cord. going into the body and rewiring it is really difficult.

i replaced my tour turntables' rcas with monster cables and they have a tiny little buzz i cant get rid of.

i did a patch job on the turntable at work and it sounds great. go figure

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    easy fix. i'm about to repair the two from the club. bring it over and i'll show you whatsup...

don't do the internal ground mod if you ever plan to use s.erato. it's a mess.

What happens? Do you get feedback?

just do a simple patch by soldering on a new rca to the existing cord. going into the body and rewiring it is really difficult.

i replaced my tour turntables' rcas with monster cables and they have a tiny little buzz i cant get rid of.

i did a patch job on the turntable at work and it sounds great. go figure

Think I might do this patch thing. Got nothing to lose.

Nevermind. Got it fixed!