Old punk records you like

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• unpopular opinion: this is my favorite Ramones album -

• maybe not old..... but it definitely feels sounds like it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    unpopular opinion: this is my favorite Ramones album -

Much as I love the Ramones, this (as with virtually all of their output) is bubblegum powerpop. California Sun is not the same as California Uber Alles, you know?

Please define punk.
    In my PMG it is not confined to that period to mid 77. It goes way beyond that.

Not attempting to speak for the nation here, but on this side of the water punk has certain required and defining ElementsTM beyond you-sound-poor clothing, silly names and a the inspiration of parental disgust.

1) a political/social stance, either in commentary, observation or advocation
    2) a reflection of youthful rebellion/nihilism/concerns/whatever
    3) an element of d.i.y. ethic, not accepting the tired and worn-out old music biz routes
    4) a desire to branch out artistically (maaan) into the next evolutionary space, and to hell with the consequences of that

being a large part of it, IMO.

In those respects, I will ride most for

Oh, and

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Co-sign on the Nomeansno and Gorilla Biscuits. Here's some 7"s i was going through the other day.
    Excuse the shitty pic.

• minimini 879 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    This 7" was always a personal favorite:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• Minor threat eps , Crass , Husker Du Land Speed Record, and Dead Kennedys California Uber Alles

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Please define punk.

Not attempting to speak for the nation here, but on this side of the water punk has certain required and defining ElementsTM beyond you-sound-poor clothing, silly names and a the inspiration of parental disgust.

3) an element of d.i.y. ethic, not accepting the tired and worn-out old music biz routes
    4) a desire to branch out artistically (maaan) into the next evolutionary space, and to hell with the consequences of that

lol ... I fell asleep half way through this.

if there's any "rule" to punk, it's that boring parameters like these are, as you Brits would say, "bollocks."

... especially hilarious after you basically dismissed the Ramones as not "punk."

the fucking RAMONES, for christsakes.

GTFOOHWTBS

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    some that I always go back to:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    some that I always go back to:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Please define punk.

lol ... I fell asleep half way through this.

if there's any "rule" to punk, it's that boring parameters like these are, as you Brits would say, "bollocks."

... especially hilarious after you basically dismissed the Ramones as not "punk."

the fucking RAMONES, for christsakes.

GTFOOHWTBS

LOL, we have an Atlantic divide on punk. Who knew?

My Ramones albums get filed with Blondie, Kiss and the Carpenters.
    Discharge and the like under the A is for Angry section.

Go figure.

• dunno if this qualifies as Punk, but it has Johnny Rotten in it. Been lovin this track ever since I heard it on Sopranos.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Stooges are closer to punk than the Ramones, IMPKopfG. But like the kids helicopter outside Tesco's, I cannot ride. When I want my veins to bulge I go for some Slayer.

"Proper" punk sound for me should be built on a drunken rhythm section, obnoxious frontman with art-college girlfriend sartorial musings.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts