Witch - Lazy Bones reissue

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I really dig this album and would like it on vinyl - but the reissue is damn pricey (43 bucks from DG).Are Now Again going to release a Witch anthology on vinyl? If so I'd rather wait for that...

Comments

• Now Again are doin' the cd's, Shadoks is doin' the vinyl

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Are Now Again going to release a Witch anthology on vinyl? If so I'd rather wait for that...

Is this part of the the anthology? Anything other than the two LPs?

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts

Haha. Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Witch has five Lps in all, and I believe that Now Again is doing an anthology that will be on CD and vinyl.

Look for more Zamrock heat from them, too. I think they will be doing a Rikki Ililonga anthology also. I have his 'Zambia' Lp and it's sick.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Now Again are doin' the cd's, Shadoks is doin' the vinyl

I know nothing about the company but what's the deal with pressing 300 copies of this and charging that price? Shouldn't they be able to move 1000? Isn't afrorock hip in '10?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    copped both last week, well done as per usual with shadoks vinyl, but yes: BRUTAL pricing. agreed, why so limited????

wow they had 5 albums?!? holy cow.

copped both last week, well done as per usual with shadoks vinyl, but yes: BRUTAL pricing. agreed, why so limited????

It seems like the Zambian rock scene was pretty deep, but the mortality rate for the OG vinyl (and the musicians themselves) was frightfully high. Finding originals is next to impossible and even if you do the vinyl is often the worst of the worst.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    The other albums are ok. Some of the later albums sound like disco, but there is a dope blues-ish type lp by Witch that's yet to be released. I think Shadoks has it coming shortly as I saw it on a coming soon list from Thomas

I've been fortunate enough to audition the master tapes and I can say that the Shadoks release isn't a bad pressing. It's lost a little in transition, but the Lazy Bones Shadoks put out came from a NM copy, so the sound isn't far off. They didn't need to use a lot of noise suppression or reduction etc...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

That's part of the Shadoks appeal. When you buy Shadoks, there's a decent chance you're making an investment. Speed, Glue Shinki sells for $450 on Shadoks now. Beauregard Ajax is around $150 again. Simla Beat goes for $150, Victoria $150 etc... WITCH "Lazy Bones" (black vinyl) was selling $250 until Shadoks re-pressed it as a 2nd pressing on Blue vinyl, as they did with AMANAZ (which IMO is better then Witch) on yellow vinyl. Granted not all release go up in value, but they've created a boutique label and it seems to be keeping them in business.

That's part of the Shadoks appeal. When you buy Shadoks, there's a decent chance you're making an investment. Speed, Glue Shinki sells for $450 on Shadoks now. Beauregard Ajax is around $150 again. Simla Beat goes for $150, Victoria $150 etc... WITCH "Lazy Bones" (black vinyl) was selling $250 until Shadoks re-pressed it as a 2nd pressing on Blue vinyl, as they did with AMANAZ (which IMO is better then Witch) on yellow vinyl. Granted not all release go up in value, but they've created a boutique label and it seems to be keeping them in business.

Hey, every record label should do what works for them. Me personally though, I'd prefer to just be able to buy a reasonably priced reissue and not necessarily a Future Collectors Item. But I guess that's the way you stay in business selling reissues of obscure albums to the collectro market.

I seriously doubt Shadoks makes much, if any, money. I think it's more of a labor of love.

What irks me about them is that many of their early releases (until the recent ones) have fairly poor sound quality. Also, several of them are boots when licensing the material would have been easy (BLO, for example).

I seriously doubt Shadoks makes much, if any, money. I think it's more of a labor of love.

What irks me about them is that many of their early releases (until the recent ones) have fairly poor sound quality. Also, several of them are boots when licensing the material would have been easy (BLO, for example).

Yeah, when I say "works" and "stay in business" I mean "break even", basically.

But that's kind of weak - when you pay extra for a reissue you expect sound quality and legality (well, at least I do).

• What irks me about them is that many of their early releases (until the recent ones) have fairly poor sound quality. Also, several of them are boots when licensing the material would have been easy (BLO, for example).

True. i hope they don't screw up their O Bando & O Terco reissues, but i've heard they've hit a brick wall with those in terms of licensing them. $45 is actually a pretty decent price for Shadoks reissues, in continental Europe some shops charge up to ?45 for their in print releases.