RIP GURU AKA KEITH ELAM

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn. chillin above the clouds now. guru left a lot for listeners. r.i.p

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's a sad enough day for hip-hop as it is, but that "statement" - supposedly written, let's not forget, by a man who was effectively in a coma for the last months of his life - is an utterly despicable gesture. Are we expected to believe, after what the two of them created, that Guru would dis Premier on his deathbed, whatever their differences were? Likewise, are we expected to believe that he'd waste his last words to the world bigging up Jazzmatazz Vol. 4.?

If there's a street anywhere in the world that this maggot Solar is able to walk down unharmed after this, it'll be a disgrace.

RIP Guru.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Damn. Im really shook beyond words.
    RIP to a legend and one of the best emcee's to ever hold it down.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I know there's been some negativity towards jazzmatazz over the years, but I got all my guru stuff on shuffle, and this just came up. I ride for this song, esp the django flip on the beat, and I also just realized this features Solaar. The REAL solaar.

Obviously, the gangstarr catalog is beyond legendary, but thought I'd post this and give a little shine to dude's earlier solo work and save the solar negativity for "the letter" thread...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    RIP
    damn.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wait. I'm confused. Solar is not Solaar, the French dude?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    nah not the mc. He's the us producer.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    RIP to a legend in the game.

Peace and godspeed to Guru.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Unbelievable. RIP to one of the all time greats. That "letter" is a fucking disgrace, I hope Solar gets what he deserves for doing that instead of respecting his "best friend" and his legacy.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Photobucket

• RIP

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    REST IN PEACE GURU

im in total shock right now!!!!!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Above The Clouds

• I was really hoping not to ever post in this thread but R.I.P.
    Lemonade will always be a popular drink. Thanks Guru.

• I can't believe this.
    Damn man. We rocked together many times. Truly gifted.

The voice is gone

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    tragic
    rest in power indeed.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Tragic indeed. As it was for so many others, Gang Starr's music was a huge--and hugely important--part of my life back when I was at my absolute hungriest for hip-hop. It's hard to believe somebody so influential could pass on like this.

b/w

The newest element of hip-hop should be slapping the shit out of Solar whenever he shows his face in public. That letter is an absolute disgrace.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Above The Clouds

Infinite skills create miracles

R.I.P.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Rest in peace.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I don't even know what to say. I'm keep hoping someone will post that the early reports were wrong. DAMN, no more Gangstarr albums, FUCK!!!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    fuck dude!

over the weekend, this hutch asked me what my tattoo meant - gave her the truth

who's gonna take the helm?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    What a sad and tragic day.

RIP

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    when step in the arena came out i was floored and its all i listened to for month in my walkman on the way to school. definitely sounded very different at that time and premier unleashed a gang of curiousity that fed my hunger for the record search like many of us on here. a sad loss.
    may he rest in peace.

here's a pic i may have posted of him before with my brother in about 2001 at this party down in tribeca at a spot thats no longer there.

blazin y'all and disappearin in a fog....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I spoke a little on my site today about dude... http://bit.ly/mN6m

Mister Cee is murdering New York radio right now too.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    R.I.P. Guru. One of my favorites.

• Wow...this is hard to believe, even though I knew he'd been in poor health. R.I.P.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    This is one that sticks with me a little. I, and I know most of us, have logged A LOT of hours listening to Guru's voice. So sad.

Got to be honest though -- not to focus to on the negative, but I'm a little put off that they're just playing a bunch of BS on Hot97 right now. Missed Mr Cee earlier -- hoping they go in this eve.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Cee went in really hard, not just with his mixing but his real rap too.

• rest in peace, gifted unlimited rhymes universal

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    "Above the Clouds" might just be my favourite hip-hop track ever.

Rest in Peace.