"Critical Beatdown" Appreciation

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Hey,I gotta big up "Critical Beatdown" by The Ultramagnetic MCs as one of the hardest, funkiest, and innovative hip-hop LPs ever made. I'm currently listening to it in my truck, and after 22 years, it's still as funky as ever. Kool Keith, Ced-Gee, DJ Moe-Love, and TR-Love did their thing on that joint. The only negative about it is that they didn't include the original version of "Funky" on the LP (I'm was mad that "Get Into It" was left off "Long Live the Kane" too), but otherwise, it's pure brilliance. Ced-Gee changed my whole approach to drum programming and sampling breaks in my production work. Let's pay homage to a bonafied hip-hop classic!!! Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    right from the cover, you know something just aint quite right with Keith...

during the four horsemen days i ended up driving from nyc to philly in a minivan with them. an illuminating experience on how deeply they were into their thing. they played egotrippin at least 8 times along with some 4 horsemen tracks. party people in the place to be for real.
    them ego trippin drums are hard as hell

its cool reading about how ced gee was captain programmer back in the day and instrumental in a lot of people starting off with production

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this is my shit. locked. like a chain to a link.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    bess balee dat

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    To this day,"Delta Force One" is one of the illest songs I've ever heard.Album is beyond classic.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I still play this on the reg. and yeah it still shits on most of the stuff out there.

I also like the fact they had the balls to drop a subliminal diss to run dmc...

anyone know what was up with that? any cool story behind it?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    beyond classic.

• Boxin you ducks

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    has been on my 4GB ipod for at least the last 3 or 4 years

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I also like the fact they had the balls to drop a subliminal diss to run dmc...

dissed Rakim too

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My #1 Hip Hop Album.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    "a Coke MC or Pepsi I'll sip up
    Drop your face and bring the other lip up"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    while kind of aged...

fuck that, this is my SHEEEITT!!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Read the liner notes in the Jungle Brothers 'Done By The Forces Of Nature' - they thank 'past' and 'present' acts for inspiration. When they mention 'future', there is only one word: Ultramagnetic

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I need to listen to this! Anybody got the mp's uploaded?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The only negative about it is that they didn't include the original version of "Funky" on the LP

Yeah that was a big letdown IMO. I didnt cop the OG 12" when it dropped. And was excited to see it on the album. Yet it was The Remix version which doesnt hold much weight.

Crtitical Beatdown pretty much drew the line in the sand where there is Rap for regular folks and Rap for the real heads. Making Run Dmc and them sound like mainstream stuff.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

You're kidding right? Just buy the CD off Amazon, you get all the remixes and b-sides too...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

You're kidding right? Just buy the CD off Amazon, you get all the remixes and b-sides too...

The Deluxe version is great but its missing MC's Ultra Part 2 and the B-Boy Bonus Break, b-side to Travelling At The Speed Of Thought.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

[bored at the office]I WANT IT NOW![/bored at the office] I actually found a link already.