Travel Strut: Washington DC 4/17-4/21

ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I?m accompanying my better half to a conference in Washington DC from Saturday to Wednesday (17th ? 21st). I haven?t been to DC since I was a kid, so I?ll have plenty to see to fill up my days. My question for the strut is about eats and the mellower side of nightlife. I?m staying near U Street, so Ben?s Chili Bowl and Som Records are already on my list. If anyone has any recommendations for good food, your favorite Ethiopian spot, record stores, good watering holes, or live music happening, please to let me know. All I?ve found so far is Peter Brotzmann/Hamid Drake at Twins on Monday night.I know there have been hundreds of threads on this, but I?ve had no luck with the search function.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Go to Dukem for Ethiopian food. They also have bands on Saturdays.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Dukem looks good - thanks Fatback.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    there's a lot of partying going on tonight. my boys are playing 18th street lounge tonight [in dupont] - lots of funk/soul/disco/etc. go there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

This is Big

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

This is Big

[ayo]

• if you missed ESL last night, Sunday nights there are the shit. multiple rooms of music (best deep house night in one room, latin / midtempo / afro stuff in another, and Dubfire playing out on the deck).

I prefer Etete to Dukem for Ethiopian. Can't go wrong with either though.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Thanks for the reponses and suggestions, folks. We'll definitely be at the Kings go Forth/Sir Joe show. Would like to visit ESL tonight but I'm not sure it's in the cards (dinner with the wife's old friends-related).