Illmatic vs 36 Chambers

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Didnt IIlmatic get the Deluxe treatment recently?

ugh..not properly. had a couple modern day remixes on disc 2.

i dont see how people can call 36 aged badly but call illmatic better aged.

Because it still sounds great.

36 Chambers now sounds like a rough draft of ideas that were much better executed on later solo albums.

I will ride for OB4CL, Liquid Swords and Ironman as having all aged well.

In 2010, you gotta disown any attachments to ever genuinely liking the Wu or you might as well be in the front row at a Limp Against the Machine concert. You didn't know?

I don't believe anyone has said anything like that in this thread.

Although I am not surprised that a bra who bumps the Chili Peppers in his jeep would be so sensitive as to imagine such accusations.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In 2010, you gotta disown any attachments to ever genuinely liking the Wu or you might as well be in the front row at a Limp Against the Machine concert. You didn't know?

I don't believe anyone has said anything like that in this thread.

Although I am not surprised that a bra who bumps the Chili Peppers in his jeep would be so sensitive as to imagine such accusations.

Well when you don't explain your crazy ideas, we are forced to guess where you are coming from. And yeah, what a shot you have levelled at me...I liked the Chili Peppers for a bit roughly 20 years ago. I was obviously a rare bird with that one. How dare me!

36 Chambers now sounds like a rough draft of ideas that were much better executed on later solo albums.

I will ride for OB4CL, Liquid Swords and Ironman as having all aged well.

Okay, so there is your explanation. It sounds like a rough draft? Well IMO it's exactly that "rough draft" aspect i.e. rawness of the album that made it/makes it so good...and still the best Wu album IMO by far.

And you think Liquid Swords has aged well???

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Yup and Linx. Im not fuskin w/ IRON MAN though.

BAN

Still probably the best album with his name on it.

BAN

Still probably the best album with his name on it.

D.E.L.E.T.E.

Supreme Cliente makes Iron Man sound like Method Man's underbaked debut.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Crazy... Ironman is all times bro. "Wildflower" is GOAT status

Camay?

Camay?

Bartender, Chevalier Chateau at table three?

Camay?

EXACTLY

What is wrong with this track, other than your man Cap's use of the word "celibant"?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I do agree w/ u in regards to Supreme Clientele.

Camay?

EXACTLY

What is wrong with this track, other than your man Cap's use of the word "celibant"?

We don't have to go there.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    liquid swords has def aged ... not so well. gza is kind of a corny simile machine

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    cuban linx aged best of all, in the first wave of wu albums

there are some corny moments on the first wu album -- rae was best at keeping shit sounding interesting

if you like wu tang for their PASTICHE OF COMICS AND SAMURAI MOVIE MYTHOLOGY then f.u., imo --

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    No one's mentioning Ol' Dirty's first album. I know it's extremely dated but it was so damn entertaining. I still pull that one out from time to time and listen straight through.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    so as its now illmatic v's Wu Tang's extended mid 90's catalog, I am going to say OBFCL and be done with it

liquid swords has def aged ... not so well. gza is kind of a corny simile machine

I maintain that that is a good album.

GZA, however, has not aged well at all.

No one's mentioning Ol' Dirty's first album.

Because it's not a good album.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    best track is that skit where he goes "remember when we used to do this shit as kids ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhehfehoOOAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

if you like wu tang for their PASTICHE OF COMICS AND SAMURAI MOVIE MYTHOLOGY then f.u., imo --

Its silly to isolate that part of their game. I know your too young to remember how influential Shaw Bros/Kung Fu on Channel 5 on the weekends for NYC cats.And eben before then all the 40-Duece Karate flicks in NYC. That shit runs parallel w/ Hip Hop. From UTFO's Mixmaster Ice w/ the Ninja mask to the Fu-Snickens, its not a joke.

For them to take all that shit and blend it w/ some Gods steez was way more interesting than the entire field at the time.

Of course you shouldnt judge them by that, but to penalize them 'cause fans have focused on that vs the music, is suspect IMO.

The Comic/Super-hero thang really didnt come hard until Liquid Swords.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    No one's mentioning Ol' Dirty's first album.

Because it's not a good album.

And here you come. Surprise, surprise!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Its silly to isolate that part of their game. I know your too young to remember how influential Shaw Bros/Kung Fu on Channel 5 on the weekends for NYC cats.And eben before then all the 40-Duece Karate flicks in NYC. That shit runs parallel w/ Hip Hop. From UTFO's Mixmaster Ice w/ the Ninja mask to the Fu-Snickens, its not a joke.

For them to take all that shit and blend it w/ some Gods steez was way more interesting than the entire field at the time.

Of course you shouldnt judge them by that, but to penalize them 'cause fans have focused on that vs the music, is suspect IMO.

The Comic/Super-hero thang really didnt come hard until Liquid Swords.
    this is fair.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    To be real about it, Nas & Wu albums both get worse as time goes on. Neither will ever recapture their prime years. People keep hoping Nas will bring it back and he probably won't and Ghostface is about the only one worth checking for. We all have our favorites, for one reason or another, but outside of "36 Chambers", "Cuban Linx", "Liquid Swords", "Illmatic" & "It was Written" the rest of their catalogs are pretty much forgettable. Except Ghost, he seems to be the only consistent one, period.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I might be alone on this but, as much as I liked Ironman, I prefer Supreme Clientele much MUCH more.

Okay, as you were...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think yr alone there, i pretty much agree

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I might be alone on this but, as much as I liked Ironman, I prefer Supreme Clientele much MUCH more.

Okay, as you were...

I'm with you on that bruh!
    It was an overall better album. From production to quality, just overall BETTER.

Return To The 36 Chambers > Ironman

Nas I Am > Ironman

superhero to superhero schtick -

MF Doom Operation Doomsday > Ironman

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I might be alone on this but fuck it, I liked "Return to the 36 Chambers". I mean, it's Ol' Dirty, for those that didn't fusk with it I hope yall weren't expecting a lyrical master piece. It was just an entertaining album with some good ol' grimy beats that really knocked in the right system. Yes, you could tell some of it was "Enter the Wu.." rejects but it was still a good listen.

OK now, Faux Rillz, you may bash.