Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Til the End of the Day>You Really Got Me > All Day & All Of The night

b/w

rep your favorite power chord

I totally agree

b/w

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I like Zep as much as the next guy but this thread has veered off course.

Allow me to put it back on track.

I listened more than half way through this cut and didn't hear any guitar chords (power or otherwise), just single-note pickin.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    liking Led Zeppelin > hating on Led Zeppelin

OR

liking Led Zeppelin < hating on Led Zeppelin

??

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It would be nice to have a thread about rock music that didn't contain the words ' led zeppelin' in it.

And yes, i'm a fan.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like Zep as much as the next guy but this thread has veered off course.

Allow me to put it back on track.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Back to chords:

Classic song, but not power chords.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Link Wray is commonly cited as having introduced power chords with his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble". Wray used a pencil to punch holes into the loudspeaker of his amplifier in order to replicate a distortion effect first improvised at a show in Fredericksburg, Virginia.[6] Wray pioneered electric guitar distortions, like overdrive and fuzz, and was the first guitarist to use power chords to play a song's melody.

Link Wray is commonly cited as having introduced power chords with his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble". Wray used a pencil to punch holes into the loudspeaker of his amplifier in order to replicate a distortion effect first improvised at a show in Fredericksburg, Virginia.[6] Wray pioneered electric guitar distortions, like overdrive and fuzz, and was the first guitarist to use power chords to play a song's melody.

Power chords by definition are the root and fifth of a chord. He's clearly playing three notes of each chord during the main melody.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    so far, You Really Got Me works best with your Avatar O. Does that make it the winner?

I hear you. But if those are power chords, then so are the chords in 'Til the End of the Day. Same chord structure, it's just a matter of how many notes in the chord structure you're playing. Power chords are two. Link Wray was playing three. The Kinks were playing five or six. But they're the same chord.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

Maybe a couple more than two finger chords, but I love this jam

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I can't wait to see what happens when I start posting AC/DC songs.

• the kinks?
    the who?
    the creation?
    the stooges?

read also: wes anderson sdtk staples.

• A classic w/ no thirds in teh rhythm axe...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm almost positive that Soul Strut as a whole is going to tell me to GTFOOHWTBS...and it's not the best song out there, but this song had some hellafied power chords...

y'all ain't ready.....

ok, here it is:

I hear you. But if those are power chords, then so are the chords in 'Til the End of the Day. Same chord structure, it's just a matter of how many notes in the chord structure you're playing. Power chords are two. Link Wray was playing three. The Kinks were playing five or six. But they're the same chord.

And......I think I was wrong. I was thinking about it last night, and I realized that the third note (the D string in an E-A-D or the G in an A-D-G) is actually the root note one octave higher, so while power chords are often played with two notes, the root and the fifth, the addition of the third note only adds another root.

My apologies.