California Funk (Jazzman comp)

Comments

• this is great. thank you!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

HOLEEEE SHEEET!!

This half-wit with an mp3 player is insanely grateful! I can stop being friends with OM now! Kidding N****n

• I'm sure i haven't earned the right to hear that track but i listened anyway. Nice.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

HOLEEEE SHEEET!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dante = teh man.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Dante = teh man.

Seriously thanks, dude.

b/w

The intro reminds me of this local Oakland gem:

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    This is the best thing I've heard in years. Thanks.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

this is great. thank you!!!

Shame this isn't on the comp! Great track.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

dante mucho gracious para compartir

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    So I bought this comp today and I must say that while there is some good music on here, please let all future regional US soul or funk comps be curated/compiled/researched by Americans. There is so much easily corrected misinformation in the notes, it started to make me feel weird. Cursory examples: "Free And Easy" by Apple & Three Oranges never came out on Sagittarius, and the LA Bare Faxx definitely had more than one 45!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    So I bought this comp today and I must say that while there is some good music on here, please let all future regional US soul or funk comps be curated/compiled/researched by Americans. There is so much easily corrected misinformation in the notes, it started to make me feel weird. Cursory examples: "Free And Easy" by Apple & Three Oranges never came out on Sagittarius, and the LA Bare Faxx definitely had more than one 45!

I'm amazed that you won't consulted....were any other Cali residents involved that could have brought game?

• should have hollered at the sunshine state

• that scorpio and his men track really is all that. i woke up with the melody in my head the past few days. i figured when james and ferrari were talking it up so much that it would never live up to the hype but there it is... thanks again, the world is a better place because you posted that.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Oh shit--I can't believe I just now saw this. Thanks a ton for putting this up, dude.

I heard this record the first time--the first time--I came to Danny's. I know everyone's got a hundred stories like this, but when I stepped from the well-lit bar area up into the roiling pre-E2 blackout of the main room just as that intro hit at full volume, both my lungs straight went for the jailbreak. That shit rocked me back.

And memory tends to play tricks, but hearing this now, after so much time, it's every bit as heavy as I remember. That vocal--so slight, but so powerful, so bottom-dollar: "In your heart / why can't you forgive?" There's no escape from stuff like that, no mask against it. I somehow had forgotten all about that snaky, Judas-kiss hi-hat, though. Cot-damn, how it comes back.

Anyway, again, my serious thanks.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah for real thanks on posting that up

not sure if its the second coming of christ that people made it out to be, but its some top shelf shit without a doubt. i probly just gotta play it on some real speakers

funny that people didnt want to share the mp3. unless they were about to do something with it, let that shit breathe in the open air! thanks d

btw whats the bside like?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

btw whats the bside like?

Very different in style, but also excellent. I think it's called "Movie Town" or something like that.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Ferrari, you should email this thread to the guy who turned down your $100 mp3 offer.

b/w

I was about to listen to this at work on my crappy desk speakers, but from everything people have written that just didn't seem right. will wait til later.

freal. ima get over some stuff thats preoccupying my mind, connect it to some massive speakers and truly embrace it

thanks aaron

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    so bottom-dollar
    For strictly preview purposes, I only recorded half the song. I'm sure you figured that out.
    The flip is called "Movietown Sound" and I swear the break was sampled by Dilla for a track on Donuts.

LOL...i was wondering about that ending

lets get a preview of that bside, brovaaaaaa

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    not sure if its the second coming of christ that people made it out to be, but its some top shelf shit without a doubt. i probly just gotta play it on some real speakers
    Yeah, I mean, I don't want to give folks the wrong idea or set up unrealisitc expectations, but you know how it goes: It's a really great song that I heard for the very first time on a great system in a packed room whose vibe complmented the record's perfectly. Everyone has their own inner circle of episodes like this (someone needs to do a Records You First Heard Under Optimal Conditions thread), and this is one of mine. Your listening experience will of course vary.

Plus, about an hour after I heard this record for the very first time, I heard the Sidney Owens for the very first time, as the last song of my first night. And I know you can feel me on that, tripledouble.

I initially misremembered the artist on this one, though (I blame that cold gin, world to Paul Stanley), and for like twelve months the only thing my googling turned up were all these transcripts of that Simpsons episode with Hank Scorpio ("Scorpio and his men turn to Marge and say..."). Oof.

Also, internet farts may have since rendered this no longer the case, but the enterprising soulstrutter used to be be able to hear "Movietown Sound" in its entirety somewhere in the bowels of Finewine's online archive.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so bottom-dollar
    For strictly preview purposes, I only recorded half the song. I'm sure you figured that out.

Translation: "$50 for the other half"

No, seriously, thanks for even the preview. Song sounds awesome.

Plus, about an hour after I heard this record for the very first time, I heard the Sidney Owens for the very first time, as the last song of my first night. And I know you can feel me on that, tripledouble.

deffffinitely. that sounds like a bad ass set

• awwww shit@!!!!

hope a strutteur gets it

• yep. that's a damn fine song. thanks for posting. and i'm glad to know that it was only half the track. if that was the whole, i'd have to admit it may suck to dance to with all the breakdown.

that said

i'd be very happy to own half the song

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Damn, only seen this now, at $2,025 with just over 4 hours left , would expect it to rise. I foolishly hoped/expected for a minute when I clicked on the sound clip that it would be the full track. Still great to hear some of the other side as well but I don't think my appetite could be any more whetted than it is now.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    hope a strutteur gets it