unknown african private label garage psych bomb

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I got this impossibly rare locally pressed 45 by Ferry Djimmy from Benin.The condition is great, looks like new but unfortunately, it sounds like shit.Crap recording and horrid pressing in the true French Microgroove tradition make the whole thing damn near unlistenable.I have no real idea about what is possible to do with today's cutting edge audio restoration software but if anyone of you has something they could try and run this through please let me know and I'll send you the AIFF.Have a listen: Ferry Djimmy "chikiri mann"

Comments

• I would say that something like Izotope RX will kill 80-90% of the clicks and pops in automatic mode with nearly no audible loss(lofi as the source is). The rest would be manual work which ist just time consuming.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Unlistenable? Is it the pops and clicks that bug you or just the realtive lo-fidelity? Condition wise this sounds better than most records I get from Britain graded "VG".

I've got a killer but fidelity-impaired 45 from Ethiopia that has always pained me:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The problem is that the recording is not only low-fidelity but also low-volume. For some strange reason, it even sounds better on the mp3 than when I play the record itself. You have to crank up the volume so extreme that even a dust particle would probably cause a click. I'd just like to use it for the Waxidermy mix swap so maybe some digital "filter" that gets rid of the clicks and pops and some eq-ing would do the trick. Is IzotopeRX a plug-in or a standalone program? I guess I should just go ahead and google it.

Thanx for the input!

The Ethiopian 45 is great by the way and I feel your pain.

• if you record in 24-Bit with a decent converter there's no need to go higher than let's say -18 to -12dbfs. So no need to crank up the preamp that high, then do the restoration and eq-ing and raise the volume afterwards as desired in the digital domain.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If you want to pay between $150-$1000, you can have someone with a CEDAR Cambridge system restore it. I don't understand the CEDAR Cambridge process, and only vaguely understand it to be a hardware/software gizmo, but it's what audio forensics types use, both from the music and police worlds. I can recommend a guy in Toronto who's on the low end of the cost spectrum and very good. When I needed to know this stuff for my reissues, the CEDAR Cambridge was the last word in audio restoration. Maybe it's old news now.