MODERN SOUL (RR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Are people still buying the stuff that commands 200 dollars just cuz it's kinda groovy and has horrible cover art? Has the market declined cuz Guzzo is no longer talking about Jehri Curls?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    no. dam-funk is making shit hotter than ever.

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    no. dam-funk is making shit hotter than ever.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    There is a distinct difference between "Boogie" and "Modern soul" although most of this music can just be called "80's R&B"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The genre lacks a trusted taste-maker telling us what's really good and making definitive lists. Guzzo looked like he was up to the challenge for a while but he fell off it seems.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dam Funk is more of a proponent of Electro-boogie than Modern soul

As for Taste-makers, there are certainly some great mixes out and lots of reputable/established dealers...but yeah, no Keb Darge of Modern...or is there?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Keb Darge of Modern
    AKA Jheri Curl Jesus

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This is a moder soul mix Keb Darge made for me / my radio show a few years ago.

Any exclusive from his collection.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iaz55k

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    There is a distinct difference between "Boogie" and "Modern soul" although most of this music can just be called "80's R&B"

OK, I can see that. But still

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    It's fun to play because ladies love dancing to it (one more great reason to not play current top 40 during your dj gig) and I've been having a great time digging for it because it's not usually as dried up as say, early 70's funk. Downloading this Keb Darge mix. Thanks!

Here's a link to my modern soul/funk mix:

http://zachendrix.podomatic.com/entry/2009-12-31T23_00_32-08_00

• The genre lacks a trusted taste-maker telling us what's really good and making definitive lists. Guzzo looked like he was up to the challenge for a while but he fell off it seems.

dunno who made it, but, I have been refering to This list in my journey through discarded 80's goodness. It's really more of a general 80's dance list, but I found it quite helpful in identifying names and tracks to look out for.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    The genre lacks a trusted taste-maker telling us what's really good and making definitive lists. Guzzo looked like he was up to the challenge for a while but he fell off it seems.

Hamburger.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I was gonna say, Kon plays great stuff.

peace,xavier

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Dam Funk is more of a proponent of Electro-boogie than Modern soul

As for Taste-makers, there are certainly some great mixes out and lots of reputable/established dealers...but yeah, no Keb Darge of Modern...or is there?

lol. I think Keb Darge may be the Keb Darge of modern soul, at least with respect to the records on the funkier side of the spectrum (Ellipsis, TOS, etc.)

Also, the modern soul LP crowd is definitely distinct from the modern 45 crowd.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    DJ Poke is the don of Modern Soul (non boogie related) in the U.K.

He's dealt and spun records (Northern & Modern Soul) since the early 80s, has a few exclusive tracks that nobody else has at all. He sells rare bits to people like Keb Darge, Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn, who are legends in their own right on the Northern/Modern scene.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Richard Searling

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Searling is more famous than Poke, but Poke is one of the main supplier's to all the big named U.K. soul DJs of those mega rare tunes.

So we can safely say these are the main taste makers of the U.K. 'Modern Soul' scene.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Is Richard back on the radio somewhere? I've followed his stuff off and on for ~25 years. Won a few of his competitions and he put me on to the Valentine Brothers in the days when t3h interweb was a cwazy dream.

Spurs fan too, but I won't hold that against him.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Not aware if Richard is doing radio again, maybe internet radio perhaps!

I always thought he was a Northern boy, or does he just have strange taste in football teams supporting Tottenham from London....hahaha