OSIBISA SELF-TITLED LP

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Listening to it for the first time. I know it's AFRO-FUNK-COMMON-DIGGERS 101, but i've passed on them til now. Just found a RJd2 break. Get the F*ck on my level. On some Cymande/Mandrill steez. I can dig it.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    My two favorite songs on that album have the same chord changes, "Akiyo Bia" (sp?) and "Phallus C."

I used to have one of their other Decca albums, but didn't like it, so I flipped it. Forget the title, since all their albums had identical Roger Dean artwork. I think it was Woyaya - blue-ish cover, the inner gatefold had composite photos of the band live (?).

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The first album and Woyaya[/b] are my favorite albums by them, I haven't heard Heads[/b] in ages but didn't like it for years. Maybe it's time to play again.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Get the F*ck on my level.

ummm... i was on that level when i first started buying records. osibisa records are everywhere

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    "Spirits Up Above" is a dope song, too. They're not all that funky or anything, but the music is great. Co-sign on Phallus-C. I wish I was home so I could throw it on right now. Their albums do pop up A LOT...and they have more albums than most people think. First two are my faves, but the others are worth a listen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't find it on youtube, but my favorite by Osibisa is Adwoa off of the Happy Children album.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    When I first started diggin' I thought their stuff was rare but later on I realized how easy it was to find all of their albums. I still listen to their s/t every now and then.

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    I wouldn't mind seeing live footage of that earlier stuff. I get the impression that they put on a pretty serious show. They were popular enough that I imagine some concerts got filmed...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Trash

Please do not compare to legitimately great bands like Mandrill and Cymande

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Get the F*ck on my level.

ummm... i was on that level when i first started buying records. osibisa records are everywhere

^^^^SUPREME DIGGING TALENT

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Trash

Please do not compare to legitimately great bands like Mandrill and Cymande

but their Raghupati Raghava Rajaram is pretty good.

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    They aren't funky like Mandrill and Cymande. Nope. I personally wouldn't make the comparison that was made earlier in the thread. I definitely like both of those bands a **LOT** more than Osibisa, but calling them "Trash" is harsh, so I can't agree with that either. I like a lot of African music, even if it's not funky.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Trash

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Ive always found them a very tepid affair.

The only thing Ive ever kept of theirs is "black ant" 45.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    I heart soulstrut

• they are pretty crumby

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've always had a soft spot for Spirits Up Above off Woyaya. Sort of a messy cross between a school brass band production and an unfocused jamming session but it works for me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    There's goodness on all their LPs. S/t has three and Woyaya 5 tracks to treasureTM for a start.

Some of you dudes must have cloth ears.

Completists also need the Modern Africa library on Bruton with contributions from Tontoh and Osei.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Woyaya is great, but head for the raer and grab this:

Produced by Robert Bailey, Osibisa's first keyboard-player, and really, really good.

Speaking of Osibisa, I heard their live-album is nice, but I've never seen it. Any good?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "music for gong gong" is my shit!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    a british group (take that ish to the brits yo!!!). the keys player plays regularly with some friends groups. they are still a great live band. common as muck around here, you'll find their records nestling in every charity shop for a pound. and you can do a lot worse for the money.

i don't think you can compare with mandrill, perhaps more with cymande. but considering their records are 10 times the price..