How picky are you about condition?

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Just curious... I've never been one to fuss about condition much, I've been satisfied to pick up cheaper copies as long as the crackle isn't too prominent.But lately I've been getting pickier. Today I bought a really clean copy of the United States of America album, and damn does it sound good. As I'm getting older and receiving paychecks instead of student loans, I could definitely see myself caring more about condition without necessarily going the audiophile route. Even if it does mean spending more money/buying fewer records.How's about you?

Comments

• It depends what I need it for. If it's for DJing with then as long as its audiable its fine for me. But for my radio show or mixes it's got ot be clean. I'm not as concerned about covers but I won't pay a high price for crappy condition.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive gotten pickier and pickier over the years, but i will still take a cheap whomped copy if its the only one ive ever found - then hope to upgrade later.

it might be a natural part of collecting over a long time, as you start seeing better copies or weird variations to what you already have, and the OCD kicks in...

the mystery part is feeling compelled to buy a cheap low grade copy of something ive already got multiples of - do i just want to give it a home or something? yikes.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    For me, it always depends on availability.
    If it's a record I want and can't find a good and affordable copy,
    I'll grab whatever copy I find, since it's not beaten to death, and will try to upgrade it later.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Not really picky, and realistically can't afford to be.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i quite like a bit of background noise on an old record for some reason, so i am not that picky at all, except when it comes to drum breaks, if I buy a record specifically for a drum, then i want it to be as clean as possible .

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    All I know is I can't deal with cue-bruned 45s anymore.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SEALED OR DEATH

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    It depends what I need it for. If it's for DJing with then as long as its audiable its fine for me. But for my radio show or mixes it's got ot be clean. I'm not as concerned about covers but I won't pay a high price for crappy condition.
    I'm pretty much on the same boat. When I buy records to DJ they can be VG to VG+, as long as there isn't much background noise and no clicks and pops, I'm fine with it. Covers can't be too messed up, it can look really worn but won't buy records with torn or water damaged covers.

Although, this applies to records that are somewhat expensive in really good condition, if it's a cheap record I'll often wait for a better one to show up.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    VG DOWNER FOR LIFE...

...at least when it comes to 45s. I have some 45s that look WHOOOPED! but play great. Increasingly picky about lp condition these days though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    VG DOWNER FOR LIFE...

...at least when it comes to 45s. I have some 45s that look WHOOOPED! but play great. Increasingly picky about lp condition these days though.

Yeah, I mostly buy LPs but if you want minty 45s, you'll probably have to wait a LONG time... Or pay a grip.

• VG+ and over. Unless it's cheap. Or free. Or, if I know the record, the good track(s) are clean.
    I actually have a cracked record in my collection.. The inside tracks still play.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In the last few years, I've gone over to the VG+ or better camp. I don't know what changed but a little bit of background crackle just bugs the crap out of me in ways that it never did before. I've been pretty lucky though - even in my cheap-ass buying days, it's not like I was picking up a lot of rinked records. I haven't had to "mint up" on more than a few titles.

I used to roll with this approach:
    I'll grab whatever copy I find, since it's not beaten to death, and will try to upgrade it later.

But the way I see it, I'd rather get it right the first time. Otherwise, even I upgrade, I'm left with a crappier second copy that I need to get rid of.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

This, when it comes to rarer stuff, especially if it's from a country that usually yields hammered records. I'm currently debating on dropping $100 for a Chilean record "in good conditions."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm more diggy than picky.