Face-melting Bollywood SYNTH

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited February 2019 in Music Talk

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I smell fake-find, ala "Revenge of Mr. Mopoji".

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Only a few hundred copies of the LP were ever pressed, and only a handful seem to have survived.

any strutter with a OG copy?

• IF there was a record, which i doubt, it's virtually impossible that it would have had that cover design and sound like that.

And take that from a dude who was been on three digging trips to india that has taken me across the entire sub continent.

IF there was a record, which i doubt, it's virtually impossible that it would have had that cover design and sound like that.

And take that from a dude who was been on three digging trips to india that has taken me across the entire sub continent.

That's def not the OG artwork. It was designed by this dude.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Well maybe it is real...

I find it hard to believe it was recorded in India, though.

Well maybe it is real...

Nice edit.

b/w

I mean, I'm not complaining about the new cover art (it actually works very nicely with the music), but the OG cover ain't too shabby either!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Well maybe it is real...

Nice edit.

b/w

I mean, I'm not complaining about the new cover art (it actually works very nicely with the music), but the OG cover ain't too shabby either!

Haha! Nailed.

Honestly, when I started typing it didn't occur to me that it may have been recorded somewhere else. Then I thought of a Pandit Dinesh disco record I have that he recorded in England with members of Osibisa.

That dude would have been the only guy in India with those synths, though. I've never heard anything else from that time with those sounds. Does it say where it was recorded?

IF there was a record, which i doubt, it's virtually impossible that it would have had that cover design and sound like that.

sure, all fine. however, does anyone have an actual copy of the OG to confirm information - however it looks like (certainly not with the "new" artwork).

and take that from a dude who - among other great things - spent 6 months in India and 2 in Pakistan

BTW: I don't know why they didn't rock the OG cover. It's a shitload better than the new one they came up with.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's sort of hilarious how dudes are like I SPENT A FEW MONTHS IN INDIA THIS ONE TIME AND I DIDN'T SEE THIS SO IT CAN'T BE REAL.

It's sort of hilarious how dudes are like I SPENT A FEW MONTHS IN INDIA THIS ONE TIME AND I DIDN'T SEE THIS SO IT CAN'T BE REAL.

I AM MASTER OF SUBCONTINENT!

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Original artwork is fire. The music is pretty close to unlistenable.

BTW someone has this photo set up on Flickr. If this is fake, awesome job.

• This is cool, thanks for sharing.

BTW someone has this photo set up on Flickr. If this is fake, awesome job.

Still looks fake to me.

No, seriously though, color me amazed now.

BTW, does anyone know what the deal is with this?

http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_detailed.php?item=53174

I NEED OG YES PLEASE

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I'm feelin Raga Madhuvanti

• No jackass that's not what I said.

I was saying that I have hit one stops, stores, homes etc. And had never seen it. Months digging and travelling there to find records and it wasn't on my radar with that cover it was first posted with.

You eBay diggers carry on now. I still stand bhind what I said which was IF it is real, it didn't come out with that cover.

I AM MASTER OF SUBCONTINENT!

^^^^
    envy

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    The music is pretty close to unlistenable.

The music is pretty close to unlistenable.

I've got an LP rip somewhere, the 303/808 combo is entertaining but every song is dominated by a loud, endless, and IMHO annoying keyboard solo.

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts

Jupiter 8! and is that a 606?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

and take that from a dude who - among other great things - spent 6 months in India and 2 in Pakistan

Dude, you're like, practically native.

Dude, you're like, practically native.

dude, you?re like, so funny.
    Ultimate fail on my side: irony does not work online. Sorry, will try to do better in the future!

However, not exactly my favourite type of music on this record, but it?s certainly a great and interesting find.

• reminds me a bit of this (same era, different continent):

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Piece about it in the paper today.

Charanjit Singh doubtless stood out as unusual in the Hindi film industry of the 1960s and 70s. Veteran of countless Bollywood soundtrack orchestras, Singh was the sort to turn up at session with the latest new synthesiser, acquired at great expense from London or Singapore. He was not, however, widely regarded among his country folk as someone "pushing things forward". His band, the Charanjit Singh Orchestra, made their rupees touring weddings, performing the hits of the day, and while he played on many popular Bollywood recordings, Charanjit Singh was never a household name.

In 1982, though, Singh did something unusual. Inspired by the sound of disco imports from the west making waves among Bombay's hipster cognoscenti, he went into the studio with some new kit ? a Roland Jupiter-8 keyboard, a Roland TR-808 drum machine and a Roland TB-303 ? and decided to make a record that combined western dance music with the droning ragas of Indian classical music. Recorded in two days, Ten Ragas To A Disco Beat garnered some interest, excerpts finding their way on to national radio, but it was a commercial flop and was soon forgotten.

In 2002, record collector Edo Bouman came across Ten Ragas in a a shop in Delhi. "Back at my hotel I played it on my portable player, and I was blown away. It sounded like acid house, or like an ultra-minimal Kraftwerk." But it was the date on the record that shocked Bouman. Released 1982, it predated the first acid house record ? often regarded as Phuture's Acid Trax ? by five years. Bouman tracked down Singh to Mumbai. "He was most friendly and surprised I knew the album. I remember asking him how he got to this acid-like sound, but he didn't quite get my point. He didn't realise how stunningly modern it was."

Eight years later, Bouman is reissuing the record on his label, Bombay Connection. Even today, it sounds like some strange kink in the dance music continuum, but Bouman is amused at speculation Ten Ragas is a hoax, cooked up by some Aphex Twin-style techno joker (the label has released Singh's conventional soundtrack work before, and besides, one can't imagine a respectable Bollywood reissue label pulling such a prank).

Now in his 70s, Singh is, as Bouman puts it, "more a musician than a talker," but he understands Ten Ragas might have been something accidentally, unusually prescient. "He made close to 10 albums, but they all were cover albums," says Bouman. "He told me, 'Frankly, this was the best thing I did. Other albums are all film songs I just played. But this was my own composition. Do something all of your own, and you can make something truly different.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/10/charanjit-singh-acid-house

Thanks for posting that!