Ice-makers YAY or NAY

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I've lived without an icemaker for 20 years. I don't need perfect cresent shaped ice unlimited. I tried it once and kept blocking the flow of drink. You need to understand the feel of cubes. If I have people over and we all have drinks. Every ice cube is different. Sometimes you get some nice shavings too. I might only have two ice trays and we use them all for the first round. People need to wait for the new trays to freeze before the next round. The shit.Bullshit.

Comments

• absolutely, 100% nay. those ice cube makers produce ice that has a strange freon taste and smell.

old fashioned ice tray or bag o ice from the shop in the freezer.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    absolutely, 100% nay. those ice cube makers produce ice that has a strange freon taste and smell.

Maybe on old refrigerators without water filters, or when people don't use much ice and leave it in the tray for too long.

I say YAY. Unlimited ice is the way to go. I never have to buy a bag of ice when I went to take a cooler of beer with me. The whole thing is too convenient. Plus my fridge crushes ice too. Crushed ice FTW.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    man my ice maker keeps breaking and i keep fixing it and it will work for a month or 2 and then break again and its starting to PISS ME OFF. I like ice and I like having it READILY AVAILABLE to me at ALL TIMES, goddamit.

I wonder if I can buy a replacement unit.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The motors usually go out on ice makers because the gears run constantly checking to see if the tray is full. A repairman will usually charge $75-100 with parts and labor to replace them I believe.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I wonder if I can buy a replacement unit.

Fukk that. I hired a kid from an Old Navy factory to deliver mine.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    do any make really good crushed ice
    like caipirinha good

if so
    Musteth COP!

• i got a refrigerator with an ice maker for the first time in my life a little over a year ago. it was a revelation, like when i first moved into a house with a shower when i was 20. after 31 years without an ice maker and one year with, i say yay. still not into dishwashers, though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    like when i first moved into a house with a shower when i was 20 [/b]

WOW. Well, now at least I understand the dislike for Facebook. That must be on some Buck Rogers in the 25th century shit for you.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    like when i first moved into a house with a shower when i was 20 [/b]

WOW. Well, now at least I understand the dislike for Facebook. That must be on some Buck Rogers in the 25th century shit for you.

Poke

• like when i first moved into a house with a shower when i was 20 [/b]

ha! that's not quite it. i just don't like facebook.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    in my freezer i keep a tupperware container that fits about three trays of cubes and i just keep it filled.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    in my freezer i keep a plastic tub that fits about 8 trays of cubes and i just keep it half filled.

• my in laws with too much money were bragging about how dope their icemaker is. saying, "you see it doesnt lets the ice melt, so it keeps making new ice so you never get stuck with OLD ice"

everyone drank so heavily over thanksgiving weekend that we ended up breaking the ice maker by the time we left.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Never had an Ice-maker, don't need one. Bags of ice all day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    We have one here at work which is cool.

At home i got rid of the cheap plastic ice trays and went to Ebay to cop some OG 'metal' joints.

Those vintage joints were the shit, but they eventually broke.

I've replaced those w/ the next level/alcoholics supergame steez.........

2" Ice Sphere keeps your shit colder than cubes. More surface area. Japanese tech.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Terrible thing to have on your refrigerator, they always break, the ice tastes like shit and after a few months it's full of bacteria.

I know more than one person who had damage to their house when the ice maker broke and leaked water when they weren't there, and these were on expensive units.

• 2" Ice Sphere keeps your shit colder than cubes. More surface area. Japanese tech.

oh shit

• 2" Ice Sphere keeps your shit colder than cubes. More surface area. Japanese tech.

less surface area

2" Ice Sphere keeps your shit colder than cubes. More surface area. Japanese tech.

less surface area

my bad....

Making spherical balls of ice is critical to a good whiskey or scotch on the rocks, because the minimized surface-area to volume ratio means it cools your drink without diluting it as quickly as regular ice cubes. For example, a 15mL sphere takes up 4.6 in2, while a cube of the same volume takes 5.7 in2. So you get 25% slower melting ice, which might not seem like a lot, but I?ve heard makes all the difference.[/b]

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Ha Suntory time?

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    We just got a new refrigerator that has an ice maker (wasn't really a selling point but we weren't averse to it either.) But to install it I have to drill a hole in the floor, run a water line to a pipe in the crawlspace which I must disassemble and hook the water line to. I have been putting this off and in the mean time ice trays work fine. Thought I would read this thread and finally get inspired to do it, but typically half the posts here are anti-ice maker. Way to go Soulstrut, you ornery bastards!

• or nothin!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

less surface area

my bad....

Making spherical balls of ice is critical to a good whiskey or scotch on the rocks, because the minimized surface-area to volume ratio means it cools your drink without diluting it as quickly as regular ice cubes. For example, a 15mL sphere takes up 4.6 in2, while a cube of the same volume takes 5.7 in2. So you get 25% slower melting ice, which might not seem like a lot, but I?ve heard makes all the difference.[/b]

Real talk. There's a cocktail specialty spot in Boston that puts one huge chunk of ice in your drink for this exact reason. They also only use this special ice that has no air bubbles so the density is increased. Serious business.

• i just moved to the heights, houston, tx.

i lived in my previous apt for over a decade, it had central a/c and a dishwasher, no icemaker thou.

my new crib has window units, and no dishwasher, but it i got an ice maker!

i would gladly go back to using trays if i could have my dishwasher back

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    fridge is the most energy guzzling appliance in the house. ice makers decrease fridge efficiency significantly.

my severe alcoholic uncle rocks the lil sphere joints that batmon posted up, except its an enclosed full tray of em. he loves his whisky, so that must be the move

Shit is the size of a handball

• fridge is the most energy guzzling appliance in the house. ice makers decrease fridge efficiency significantly.

ya know i have been kinda paranoid that the fridge wasnt cold enough.
    i wonder if i turned the ice maker off if it would get colder.

• i forgot to say, my old apt was all bills paid.
    i kept the thermostat on 65 all the time.

i have a rude awakening coming this summer LOL

i dont think i can get used to sleeping with the window unit on either.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts