I have a friend who may have to take a drug test

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
The last time this friend used anything that might turn up was Saturday 4/3/10. (Chocolate truffles made with THC butter.) He may have to take a urine screen that will test for THC in three to four weeks. Do we think he'll be OK or are there some steps he should take to speed up the removal of THC from his system?

Comments

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts
    Lots and lots of water!

I had a "friend" who was in the same predicament. My advice would be to grab an empty milk jug and keep filling it with water,drink, and repeat as often as you can. I,...I mean.. "my friend" did this after smoking 3 days before a test and passed.

...and obviously don't smoke any until that point.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Yep, water and lots of it.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    water and this

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I heard some tests actually look for common products and multiple inconclusive tests are considered suspect and moved to a more precise type of test (i.e., sending to an actual lab vs. those home pregnancy type jawns).

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    papaya enzymes
    activated charcoal supplements
    be prepared to go number 2 often.

yes drink water but dont grossly overdo it you could lose too much sodium and thats dangerous, drink a lot but not more than a 1/2 gallon a day.

more than that is unhealthy

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If he's going to chug gallons of water he may want to take some mineral supplements. The excess water will leach minerals out of his system, which is not good, and I think that a severe lack of minerals is a tip that the person has been flushing out their body.

• have someone (non-smoker) that vaguely resembles you take your Identification and take the test for you.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    papaya enzymes
    activated charcoal supplements
    be prepared to go number 2 often.

yes drink water but dont grossly overdo it you could lose too much sodium and thats dangerous, drink a lot but not more than a 1/2 gallon a day.

more than that is unhealthy

Interesting. I drink about I gallon a day. About 15 tall glasses throughout. I started because my physical therapist advised me to increase my water intake to see if it helped with my lower back pain. It did. In fact my water intake increase combined with daily hamstring stretches have nearly healed my chronic back problems. And I've tried EVERYTHING else.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    THC isn't very water soluble, so drinking an excess of water probably won't do much of anything, AFAIK. It mostly locates into fatty or lipophilic areas of the body like the hair or your fat (this is why it's so good at crossing the blood-brain barrier). Your best bet might be to increase the amount of times you defecate during the day, so start getting more fibre into your diet. Exercise might speed up the removal of fat from your body as well.

Either way, those are just generally good things for your body, anyway.

• I did a test for applying for a medical experiment a couple of weeks ago, smoked a month before, and a lil bit about three weeks before the test.
    It came out negative, and with the timeframe your friend is looking at, I really wouldn't worry too much.
    But, better safe than sorry I guess. Apart from what has been said already, a bottle or two of cranberry juice is always good for de-toxing the system.

THC isn't very water soluble

Nonetheless, you piss it out.

THC isn't very water soluble

Nonetheless, you piss it out.

Right, but the water is not going to cause the THC to be removed from your body any faster, or at least in any relevant way.

EDIT: Unless you mean that you could dilute your urine, or give a "mostly water" sample. Most labs check for things like that, though, and may make you take the test over if they see a suspiciously low level of solutes in your urine.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Drink as much water per day that you can, I mean HE can and then drink more water. Don't smoke, eat, or make mad passionate love to any weed and everything should be fine. If not:

"Don't be mad U.P.S. is hiring." - Biggie

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Tell your friend to have some balls and tell them he'll save them the money on the test and admit that he smokes on weekends.....they'll either appreciate his honesty and let him slide or he'll get dumped from a job that doesn't sound like something very enjoyable.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Tell your friend to have some balls and tell them he'll save them the money on the test and admit that he smokes on weekends.....they'll either appreciate his honesty and let him slide or he'll get dumped from a job that doesn't sound like something very enjoyable.

I have always wondered at what point a company crosses the line into your own personal life. Under the influence whilst working is never a good idea and that I can understand. But what the hell is it their business what you do in your own time?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

I have always wondered at what point a company crosses the line into your own personal life. Under the influence whilst working is never a good idea and that I can understand. But what the hell is it their business what you do in your own time?

"But I got high before I came to work!!!"

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I did a test for applying for a medical experiment a couple of weeks ago, smoked a month before, and a lil bit about three weeks before the test.
    It came out negative, and with the timeframe your friend is looking at, I really wouldn't worry too much.
    But, better safe than sorry I guess. Apart from what has been said already, a bottle or two of cranberry juice is always good for de-toxing the system.

exactly. if you're boy has 3 to 4 weeks, i wouldn't trip too much. thc stays in the system for up to 28 days and if all he had was a little weed butter and doesn't really smoke it a lot otherwise, he shouldn't worry. just drink the water, maybe some cranberry juice and exorcise....

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i wouldn't think that being forthright and honest would help his cause. it didn't help mine when i said i tried it at a party a few weeks before i knew i was being tested and that's why i failed. nope. didn't get that job.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Money > Drugs

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Money > Drugs
    this is my favorite The Dream album.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

If it's THAT important, just have "him" drink lots and sweat lots and "he" should be fine. Otherwise, just be honest. I can't believe that employers in the year 2010 would be that naive to think that that some of their workers don't smoke or enjoy some libation after hours. Hell, half of the people at my work are proud alcoholics and the only couple of people who have gotten fired or denied employment via a drug test (for drivers of large trucks as per the California DOT) were coke users. Unless "he" works for some corporate stiff job in the Bible Belt or something, "he" shouldn't worry.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Tell your friend to reconsider his lifestyle and to stop doing illegal drugs.

• maybe some cranberry juice and exorcise[/b]....

I think for some companies insurance comes into play, i.e. they're rates are lower if their workforce is 'drug free'.

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    I had to take a drug test to get my job, and I suspect it is required so often is for insurance purposes more than anything else. I am supposedy subject to random tests but it is obvious they won't bother.

Sorry to harp on it, but seriously people: water and cranberry juice isn't going to do anything at all. THC deposits in the fatty parts of your body and water simply isn't going to affect that. The only thing you're going to do is dilute your urine.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The last time this friend used anything that might turn up was Saturday 4/3/10. (Chocolate truffles made with THC butter.) He may have to take a urine screen that will test for THC in three to four weeks. Do we think he'll be OK or are there some steps he should take to speed up the removal of THC from his system?

How much did he use leading up to the last time? If had been months, and the truffle was the only recent isolated incident, all traces of THC should be gone without having to do anything above and beyond normal behavior (such as drinking gallons of water per day) in about 7 days.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    drinking lots of water wont achieve much, if it is only a urine test and he hasnt taken anything for more than 5-6 weeks he will be fine. If he is at all concerned eat lots of garlic and onion.

• trick your friend into thinking that drinking his own pee will clean out his system. report back if successful.