Your 45 collection

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
What is the condition of your 45 collection? I would say mine is vg to vg+. All my rare 45's are more vg, because i don't wanna pay mint prices.

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    post pics or yr soft

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    G+ to Mint. In most cases I'm happy to VG down if it means I'll be able to flip a mint copy for top dollar.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The condition of my 45 collection is: seldom played.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if its good and it plays with out skipping or a lot of background noise, Im cool with it...it can look like it was used to play ultimate frisbee on a gravel road, but if it plays nicely, I dont care.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    G+ to Mint

A few have noisy noisy starts, but not for so long that it interferes with the song.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I would say mine is vg to vg+. All my rare 45's are more vg, because i don't wanna pay mint prices.

It seems recently that the price difference between an NM and a VG copy of a sought-after 45 is hardly anything these days.

If a NM copy goes for $500, a VG will sell for $450.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I would say mine is vg to vg+. All my rare 45's are more vg, because i don't wanna pay mint prices.

It seems recently that the price difference between an NM and a VG copy of a sought-after 45 is hardly anything these days.

If a NM copy goes for $500, a VG will sell for $450.

Cosine on this.

• Options
    I love 45s more than any other format.

Mine are between G+ and Minty. I need more of them in my life.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I need more of them in my life.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Love-hate relationship with the 45.

They are so beautiful, but so horrible to flick through. There's so little info on them but the labels are so pretty.

People selfishly write their goddamn boring-ass names on them, and often there's not even a year printed on them.

But when you find the only worthwhile track of an album on 7 you could be tempted into believing there is a God.

European ones with high quality paper pic sleeves are a special favourite.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    I'd say i have maybe 2000 odd 7"s at vg-nm, i have a box of ones below that quality.

Weirdly, since becoming a Microwave dj i will now just wait for a mint or near mint to come up before buying rather than get a vg. Before i used to get so amped up if i found out about a new tune i would just get whatever i could at the time.

• I love 45's -but god people treat them like crap! most of mine look like someone dragged them behind a car - but I have a few minty ones i'm almost afraid to play.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Lotta cue burn in mine. I have to buy some 45s over and over because I wear them out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Love-hatelove relationship with the 45.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i have a couple big ticket minty soul ones
    and very diverse african,latin that are vg for the most part

the only problem is i have a tower of quebec 45'S to listen to
    i've found great stuff but the task is daunting because of the format

45 chud navigating is easier on LP

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    99% reggae/dancehall less than 3 years old.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What is the condition of your 45 collection?

It varies, which is what you would expect when you buy them from different places at different times in any random condition.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    sealed or better

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

any reason(s) in particular why this was big in Europe but doesn't really seem to have ever been a thing in Uhmerrica?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    sealed or better

except for that Charles Sheffield

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    I recently found some dirty DIRTY 45's at a local antique shop, so that probably brought my collection down to a vg.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

If I had more money I could see myself collecting alt. pic sleeves of classiques:

etc

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    For play purposes it has to be VG+ or better but for archival-only purposes the labels just have to be clean. I'll buy cracked or worse schitt if the label is clean.

• Options
    Wow...buying cracked records with good labels? Interesting collectro choices.

If it don't play, I don't pay.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wow...buying cracked records with good labels? Interesting collectro choices.

If it don't play, I don't pay.

A little surface noise doesn't bother me...but only to a point.

If the snaps & pops are singing backup...I'll deal with that.

But if they're singing lead and drowning out the rest of the band...time to use it as a wall ornament. Or just throw the damn thing away.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    sealed or better

except for that Charles Sheffield

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    If you have more then five 45s, then you're probably spanning the condition range already - mine are anywhere from VG through to M-

Like a lot of dudes on here, I'm much more interested in how the record sounds as opposed to how it looks. I have a copy of Barbara Lynn's 'I'm a good woman' that looks absolutely fucked, and plays pretty strong VG+ with one or two pops - and that does me fine.

Also, I prefer big holes to small ones

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Over the last 12 months or so I've been trying to make my 45 collection VG++/Excellent or better. I am in the process of upgrading anything that doesn't make the cut. I am probably 80% there. I will say that buying 45s the 2nd time around to mint up isn't quite as satisfying as finding them originally. It's not easy or cheap with some of the rarer titles which were around VG.

• G+ to mint

I'll buy (and play out) cracked records- if they sound good enough.