Brainfreeze, Product Placement, or Hard Sell

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Brainfreeze, Product Placement, or Hard Sell. I was watching the Hard Sell the other night and thinking to myself why don't more dj's put together routines like this. I was really into Brainfreeze and Product Placement but i fell Shadow and Cut Chemist put alot more work into the Hard Sell. P.S. i know it kinda late for this thread but it was on my mind.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    Brainfreeze, Product Placement, or Hard Sell. I was watching the Hard Sell the other night and thinking to myself why don't more dj's put together routines like this. I was really into Brainfreeze and Product Placement but i fell Shadow and Cut Chemist put alot more work into the Hard Sell. P.S. i know it kinda late for this thread but it was on my mind.

Although I gotta say, If it wasn't for brainfreeze, My 45 collection would be garbage. Never really got into 45 collecting till then.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I thought "hard sell" was lame.

I liked the other two though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Set 1 of Brainfreeze and Set 1 of Product Placement are my favs.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I listened to Brainfreeze couple weeks ago and it didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. The majority of it is a good listen and I know it was pretty unique at the time, but some parts sound very dated now. Some of the scratching sections are not very listenable.

• Product Placement > Brainfreeze

Okay I haven't heard Hard Sell but I will just assume it is not better than Product Placement?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    brainfreeze!
    i wasnt into product placement, but i might need to go back an revisit it, i have only heard the hard sell and it was a little boring, maybe i need to watch the dvd.
    and i remember from being a lurker how much brainfreeze used to get bashed, but i still think it was a great mix and definitely a game changer

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you still need future-glasses to see 'hard sell'

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Set 1 of Brainfreeze and Set 1 of Product Placement are my favs.

I went and saw the Hard Sell live,. It was a great show, but the music was as others have said - a bit boring. As a result, I did not purchase.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The Hard Sell is mostly impressive from a technical standpoint. I listened to it yesterday and I especially like when they recreate famous beats with the loop pedals. Some of it is more experimental and not really my cup of tea.

I agree with C7 - parts of Brainfreeze sound really dated. Part 1 of Product Placement is probably the best of the bunch. Really like that intro - "Shadow, shadow - I'm a sampling maaaan".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Brainfreeze was cool and damn that was forever ago. Dudes - it sounds dated because it IS.

Product Placement remains unfuckwithable in every way shape and form. Show me anyone who has come anywhere near that since.

The Hard Sell did not turn out well, but I would hate for that to be the end of what was otherwise a really dope idea.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

The Hard Sell did not turn out well, but I would hate for that to be the end of what was otherwise a really dope idea.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Brainfreeze was cool and damn that was forever ago. Dudes - it sounds dated because it IS.

For me personally, it still sounds good except for the more "turntablist" parts. They didn't sound that good to me when BF came out either but now I just feel their unnecessary.

For me though, neither Endtroducing nor, say, the Lesson track on the J5 EP sound "dated". They sound like they were made when they were, but still good to me.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Hardsell live was quite a facemelt... i like um all.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    The Hard Sell Party at the Hollywood Bowl was a blast and a Major achievement for those dudes. They had f*cking Kim Fowley close the show talking about Cocaine and how everybody needs to get the F*ck out. Hard Sell did not translate as well on CD, definitely better appreciated live.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Anyone have the cut chemist mix tape from the mid/late 90s that had sections of brainfreeze on it? It was orange in color. I have it somewhere. It blew my little-dude mind back in the day. I remember thinking more than couple sections of brainfreeze were replicated from that mix-tape.

• Enjoyed the all the mixes but always thought they were just a promo document of what they were accomplishing live. This thread seems more dated than the music.
    Why isn't any one talking about this mix:
    http://www.djshadow.com/radio#
    Dante's UP ON A DOWNER mix is what i think of when i hear the words private press.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    hey guys waht's up?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    This thread seems more dated than the music.