What the hell did they do to youtube????

FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I go on youtube today and the format is all different, everything is hard to find, you can't find videos. The old style of youtube used to put me up on tons of different music. I don't know how youtube "thought" but it's recommendations on the right were great.I don't keep up on technology to much, anyone know the rational behind this?A quick google search on there blog http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-video-page-launches-for-all-users.html#commentsbasicly had EVERY single comment being negative and not liking it. the internet fucks everything up.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there used to be a handy window on the right with the URL and the embed code of the video you're looking at. that nice little feature is gone as well.

• It looks like a beta-version of a new site. Everyone hates it, switch back please

• tabiratabira 856 Posts

I find my self moaning like an crochety old git about almost every "update" there is internet or software. I agree that the you tube update is crap and I still can't get my head around microsoft open office - writing a bullet-point list or making a diagram has never been harder. A part from virus protection why are there so many updates to such basic programmes?

oh and Windows 7's effect on my life has been net negative for sure.

I've spent countless hours basically just adjusting the preferences so it looks and works like XP did.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    there used to be a handy window on the right with the URL and the embed code of the video you're looking at. that nice little feature is gone as well.

yes it's so insane how they moved those codes to under the video instead that I haven't ate in days.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I like turtles.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    why are there so many updates to such basic programmes?

Why make a tyre that never wears out?

This is how the industry works. They release new software, and withdraw support for the old software, so you have to have it. "Taking advantage of faster and better hardware since the last release" is the justification. Yet I've been in the game a long time, and I've never had to wait as long as I do now to do any actual work.

Looks nice, though.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    anyone else facing problems with this using safari 3 on a macbook? As soon as i fast forward, open another song etc etc my browser crashes. I never had any trouble with safari, do i need to upgrade now only because of youtube??

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts

The embed code is now below the video, and the URL is uh in the place the URL normally is.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

yes it's so insane how they moved those codes to under the video instead that I haven't ate in days.

Ia'mm ssoooo madf I ccan b arellly typppppe ........!!!!!!!!

• Yeah. That happened to me quite alot as well - switched over to firefox to avoid it

uh well it's now an additional keystroke to get the embed code.

from where I stand that's not exactly progress.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Speaking about youtube. Just a couple of things some of you might not know as of yet.

You can right click on the video and it gives you 2 handy options.

1 - Copy embed html - Great to repost the vids[/b]

2 - Stop download - Great for saving bandwidth or don't want a ton of video's to bog down your system when going through a bunch.

Also... For Mac users. In Safari, if you want to download a video. Start the vid and hit Command Option and a. Up will open the activity window and just look for the largest file which should be the video and double click. No addon or 3rd party application needed.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    My only problem with the new layout is that this Google Chrome extension I had--which added a link to every video to immediately download the audio as an mp3 file--no longer works. That's really annoying, and now I'm looking for a replacement.

Other than that I think it's clearly superior to the previous layout, "gerroff me bermuda lawn" excepted.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Do you have to be signed in to see the rating?

Actually, it looks like a lot of the functionality is only available if you sign in now.

uh well it's now an additional keystroke to get the embed code.

from where I stand that's not exactly progress.

Ha ha ... so I take it you're not a fan of pull-down menus? To hell with having a tidy appearance ... let's spread everything around the screen so we can cut down on all of those extra keystrokes! I don't care if only 5% of Youtube users actually use that damned embed code ... I want it spread all over the place, bigger than life!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    You guys are gonna be a barrel of laughs on June 1.

I was thinking the same thing as I was typing. Sometimes the dork gets uncorked.

We could spend some of the downtime between now and June 1 discussing the never boring subject of Facebook layouts.

• does auto complete not work for everyone in the search too?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I like it.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    anyone else noticing that youtube lags a hell of alot more these days?

uh oh...what's going down on June 1????

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I miss the old side videos where it would be related videos or you could do the "more from this user" videos. now its just related videos. i do not like.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

This Thread

haha! right, forgot about the date on that!

yeah, good good. that'll be the Strutnip to end all Strutnip.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So I should start copying and pasting my PMs NOW?????