How Do You Pronounce "Cymande"?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
in the past 2 weeks i have heard people say the band's name about 6 totally different ways (my brit firned jay maintains it is pronounced "cinnemade" - like cinnamon and lemoade put together). i know its a cheesy timmy diggalot funk question but its bugging me..

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have always said it
    sia-mun-dae

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I always thought it was: Sa-Man-Dee

• Options
    Sih-mahn-dae

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it's Sih Man Day and I'm pretty sure they say it someplace on one of their albums.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They say it on "Promised Heights."

• Talking of Cymande - any London based strutters going to see the reformed group in May? should be pretty cool.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Sih-mahn-dae

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

yes,

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    some folks drop the -ay at the end

havent listened in a while.they were my first forray and first love in the world of raer groove

• (my brit firned jay maintains it is pronounced "cinnemade" - like cinnamon and lemoade put together).

how did he even arrive at this pronounciation...? there's not even an "n" in the first half of the word. wierd.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This thread reminds me that I need a mint Cymande S/T LP. (I have like 6 VG copies of this thing!)

• (my brit firned jay maintains it is pronounced "cinnemade" - like cinnamon and lemoade put together).

how did he even arrive at this pronounciation...? there's not even an "n" in the first half of the word. wierd.

i kept telling him his pronunciation wasn't even possible but he wasn;t having it so i started this thread to sort it out once and for all.

btw, i need promised heights...someone hook me up pls!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    (my brit firned jay maintains it is pronounced "cinnemade" - like cinnamon and lemoade put together).

BRITfriend also probably says "aluminium." So f im!

kinda required to say it like they say it, the band...like you have to call American Movie Dude's Movie "Coh-ven" because "coven sounds too much like oven."

except now, I'm calling them Cinnemade from here on out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    (my brit firned jay maintains it is pronounced "cinnemade" - like cinnamon and lemoade put together).

i kept telling him his pronunciation wasn't even possible but he wasn;t having it so i started this thread to sort it out once and for all.

btw, i need promised heights...someone hook me up pls!

Actually, in German the "m" is pronounced as two consecutive "n"s, just as the "w" is pronounced like two consecutive "v"s. Oddly, in Bavaria the "w" is actually pronounced like two consecutive "u"s.

True story.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts

Actually, in German the "m" is pronounced as two consecutive "n"s

Where in the world did you learn that?

• jmjmjmjmjmjmjmjm 31 Posts

Actually, in German the "m" is pronounced as two consecutive "n"s

Where in the world did you learn that?

He's obviously Gernnan

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    Ach..
    Cymande is easily one of the best groups of all time. That ever made music. Damn right. Say it however you want as long as you play it loudly..but we will laugh at you if you call it Cinnabon.
    Seriously, if anyone finds out any juicy info about the reunion, please speak up when you do. Makes me want to sell my spleen and get a plane ticket. Hoping there will at least be some good footage posted. Someone really should do a documentary...(please).
    Anyone know if there were any solo projects or spin-off groups? I'm assuming no. Wishing yes. I won a copy of their fourth album on ebay..asked if it was original..and they said yes. It was very much not. doodoo.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

yes,

^^^Sweet song, by the way.

Wikipedia says Sah-mahn-day, if you're looking for a way to spell the pronunciation. Why didn't anyone check Wiki first? Whatever.
    The name Cymande is derived from a Calypso word for Dove, which symbolizes peace and love.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymande

• Ach..
    Cymande is easily one of the best groups of all time. That ever made music. Damn right. Say it however you want as long as you play it loudly..but we will laugh at you if you call it Cinnabon.
    Seriously, if anyone finds out any juicy info about the reunion, please speak up when you do. Makes me want to sell my spleen and get a plane ticket. Hoping there will at least be some good footage posted. Someone really should do a documentary...(please).
    Anyone know if there were any solo projects or spin-off groups? I'm assuming no. Wishing yes. I won a copy of their fourth album on ebay..asked if it was original..and they said yes. It was very much not. doodoo.

Theres actually quite a bit of recent footage on youtube of the reformed group playing last year. I have a feeling some of the original members have formed one Cymande, and some other members are now calling themselves Cymande II.

• As heard on "Promised Heights":

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1w5tK2xHWax