Indonesia diggin' - good Indonesian records?

DaptunesDaptunes 55 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Soulstrutter!Anybody who has had the experience of diggin' in Indonesia?Anybody with some solid Indonesian records?Going' there this summer and as we all know a prepared man is worth 2!Also: would there be a good spot for dj'ing (and I was thinking of skipping Bali)?cheers!Dj Daptunes

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i know some of the Pushin On dudes hit Jakarta a while back and had a little luck, havent ever heard of any one pulling records in Bali though.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I've heard the best place to find (clean) Indonesian records is Singapore.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    There are ZERO records in Bali. I was there for over a month in 2008 and it was ridiculously fun, but yeah, absolutely no records. You have to remember that place was super rural up until the late nineties.

Try Yojakarta instead of Jakarta. It's a massive city and might be less picked through than Jakarta.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Panbers.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Panbers.

Which ones are good?

I'm curious but afraid to pull the trigger without some info.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    It's superhard.

Gamelan scene in Bali was all cassette based, there's some dope psych metal on CD in Java, most world music fans are in to things like this http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Pop-Sounds-Sumatra-Vol/dp/B0000ZH0BM dunno if that's your cuppa.

If you got a chance to island hop to Sumatra or Sulawesi, please do.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    There are quite a few record spots in jakarta near the market and you can find some decent stuff for close to nothing, but in general conditions tend to be bad. As for Singapore, it used to be really good apparently, but switched during the last years, no more records.

• indyindy 58 Posts
    Heres a little info, more on the prog tip though

have fun

Playlist : "Psyche van het Folk", Radio Centraal, Antwerpen, Belgium
    Overview Progressive Music from Indonesia (& intro 60's prog in Singapore).
    2 Radioshows.

It took a long time, research etc. before I could make this radioshow. I tried
    to leave out the neo-prog. The connection with Holland makes Indonesian music
    sometimes more easy to trace in Holland than in Indonesia. For some earlier
    examples Feddo Rennier (internet radioshow "Psychedelicatessen", collector,
    Holland) helped me. For later interesting examples it was mostly Surjorimba
    Suroto (responsible for Indonesian Progressive Society & website) who
    helped me building on this radioshow. Some other information was provided by
    Ajie Wartono (staff Indonesian music internet shop Warta Jazz, Indonesia & radio
    program producer "Progressive With SWA", Indonesia). Some other remarks being
    made during preparations are mentioned with name.

RADIOSHOW 1 :
    INTRO :
    EARLY PROGRESSIVE MUSIC FROM SINGAPORE
    60's :
    * October Cherries : same (SING,Baal Rec.) Tr.2, "It's all there" 6 min. -compi tr.3-
    * October Cherries : same (Baal Rec.) Tr.4, "Can I hold your hand" & "Deborah" 6 min. -compi tr.4-
    Cover of this LP : http://progressive.homestead.com/files/octobercherriesLP.jpg
    "The October Cherries are Premier band from Singapore. They begins as Surfers
    and changed their name to the October Cherries, in order to get out of a
    contract with EMI and start their own label, BAAL. This move also helped confuse
    the pirates, who would sometimes have their unauthorized versions of records out
    by lunchtime on the day a new record was released! Sometime they are know as
    Jade and Pepper (Jay and Pete )."
    Jessie Son
    "The have close to 20 Albums to their credit. Due to the severe piracy
    situation that the industry faced, they were forced out of the business in the
    early seventies. This top Asian (Singapore) band tried to go to the UK in the
    late 60s and earlier 70s. Could not get in and were dumped in Belgium. In
    Belgium, France and the Netherlands they made some 45's and even a mega-rare
    Belgian LP, before returning to Singapore. Other than The October Cherries they
    at time know as Jade & Pepper (Jay & Pete from The October Cherries). Funkgus
    being the heavier Porgy Funk group formed around the member of October Cherries
    plus additional musician from UK. I think Mr.Joseph Pereira know them well and
    should published a book about the group."
    Son, Cliff Cliff.Son@snclavalin.com>
    The style of them is very much Beatles inspired. They had produced some great
    tracks. The track "Can I hold your hand" has more rock guitar passages.
    Cover of another single : http://progressive.homestead.com/files/octobercherries.jpg
    * Movement : Movement (SING?,Baal Rec.) Side A,B 6+4=10 min
    Very rare but incredible single. An incredible and beautiful anti-Vietnam War
    beat psych track.

INDONESIA
    1. EARLY PROG TRACKS ON LESS INTERESTING ITEMS
    * The Brims : "Anti Ganja" 4 min
    End 60's / early 70's heavy Freakbeat track. So called anti drugs song. But this
    makes it a fine psychedelic track at the same time. With some crazy orgasmic
    spacey psychedelic effects near the end.
    (* Band Rasela
    I left out because the progressive late 60's tracks aren't really that good).
    * Koes : Plus vol 1, Tr.3, "Kau Tinggalkan Aku" 3 min -compi Tr.1-
    Fine flipped freaky hard rock track, with good electric guitars.
    Cover of this LP : http://progressive.homestead.com/files/koes_web.jpg
    * Freedom : Freedom of Rapsodia, Tr.4, "Freedom" 4 min -compi tr.12- 23
    Good early hard rock track with hard rock vocals, some electric guitars, some
    crazy organ. Other tracks from the album are less interesting.
    * Golden Wing : best of, Tr.2, "Hi Lang" 4 min -compi Tr.13- 27
    Style on this track is very much influenced by (or stolen from) Uriah Heep. Not
    Better than Uriah Heep, but good enough to play.
    * Band Rollies (Remaco Rec.) : "I had to leave you" 8 min (fragm. 400-end) 5 min
    Fine bluesy rock track with Hendrix like heavy electric guitars in 70's style. -
    compi tr.14-
    * Band Rollies Tr. "Let's start again" 4 min -compi7-
    Bluesy rock track with some brass, funky touch & James Brown,and other black
    music influences, with hand percussion & drums. 3 min 36
    * Benjamin & Iringa Band Panja -Nada- : Si Djampang, Tr.B4, "I'm a teacher" 5
    min 41
    Solo project from The Mercey's group. Bluesy rock track with fine organ
    improvisations & electric guitars. Singing is good too. -compi1-
    * Aka : Do what you like (Indra Rec.) Tr.A1, "Do what you like" 4 min -compi2-
    Tough rock music with tough vocals. Great ! With "black music" like heavy rock /
    funk feel. Only some tracks are like this. With a feeling of rebellery in quest
    for more freedom of expression.
    * Aka : Do what you like (Indra Rec.) Tr.B1, "Glennmore" 6 min -compi4-
    Great and highly original drive and combination of organ with electric guitars,
    drums, vocals, in heavy 70's (hard) rock style. Both tracks make this album
    already worth to trace. There are even a couple more good tracks, one ok, one
    other with Hendrix like heavy rock feel.
    * Aka : Crazy Joe : "Crazy Joe" 4 min -compi6-
    Funky "black music" rock track on less interesting album. Very powerful "dirty"
    vocals & sound.
    Cover of this LP : http://progressive.homestead.com/files/akaweb.jpg

2. EARLY PROGRESSIVE ROCK
    (* Godbless (1975) Tr.1, "Huma Di Atas Bukit" 5 min
    Good progressive rock. Fine band : keyboards, drums, keyboards. Vocals are a
    somewhat weak on this track, like in most Indonesian bands, also in production.
    This track has a terrific electric guitar passage of Genesis. A bit oddly
    placed. From a good until very album, which might be still one of the better
    "early" prog albums from Indonesia to trace.
    * Godbless (1975) Tr.4, "Eleanor Rigby" (The Beatles) 5 min 65
    Fine 70's (hard) prog rock version of this Beatles song with electric guitar
    solo's and organ, and with fine metalophone passage.
    * Godbless (1975) Tr.6, "Friday on my mind" (Easy Beat) 7 min 72
    Fine interpreted track with nice Hammond organ. Fine 70's prog rock track. Again
    with some stolen parts of known progressive / symphonic rock bands, nicely
    fitting with the rest. I think the stolen parts were nicely and spontaneously
    placed.
    Tape scan at http://progressive.homestead.com/files/godblessfronttapeweb.jpg
    More Info page at http://www.angelfire.com/rock/indonesia/godbless.html
    and http://www.indonesia-rock.gn.to/mania/godbless.html :
    "God bless formed at Pasar Minggu ,Jakarta in 1971. They are still running until
    today. In 1970's, they made the pre-act for Deep Purple which was coming in
    Indonesia. Their music style have been changed with the change of culture. Their
    first album named "Huma diatas bukit" was released in 1975, It was just
    progressive Rock .Some of the songs were clearly influenced by Genesis' sound.
    In 1980'., they had changed their musical style to American Hard Metal like Van
    Halen. However they stopped their activities after the third Album had been
    distr ibuted in 1990.After that, each members had made performance in each new
    band . In 1997, they re-formed with Album"Apa Kabar". We can still enjoy their
    good Hard Rock & Ballads."
    according to http://indoprog.cjb.net/ :
    "Possibly the most popular rock group in Indonesia, they played progressive
    music during their 1980's Cermin album line-up. Some consider their music as a
    straight rip-off from famous prog groups, though."
    Surjorimba : "Their album Cermin was only released on tape. Although God Bless
    is heavily influenced by Deep Purple, there were some prog songs. In 'Cermin'
    and 'Huma Diatas Bukit', there were some as well. I'm ashamed to say that God
    Bless was never original in making prog songs. They often 'cut and paste' songs
    from Genesis, ELP, Klaatu, etc and claimed as their own."

3.(CONTINUED INDOFUSION PROGRESSIVE ROCK (OLD & NEW)
    * Guruh Gipsy : "Indonesia Makarddika" 16 min (CD2-Tr.5) -Indoprog-
    Incredible music. One of the few must haves from Indonesia. The best keyboards,
    electric guitar & fine arrangements.
    Remark : Keenan Nasution, the drummer and vocalist of Guruh Gipsy's first
    solo album contained also a fine progressive track. (His vocals can be heard on
    the 1st track in GG). This solo album mainly was pop, but this one prog rock
    song is really interesting, also for its organ & keyboards, some electric
    guitar, drums. I will play this in the second radioshow. Keenan Nasution, along
    with his younger brothers Odink and Debby, plus Fariz RM formed Gank Pegangsaan,
    a release which I will get later, and will get attention in a later occasion too.
    * Guruh Gipsy (1975) : Tr.3, "Barong Larung" 7 min -Indoprogrock-
    Incredible combination of prog rock with electronic keyboards, gamelan. A
    monster track.
    * Guruh Gipsy (1975) : Tr.5, "Geger Gelgel", 12 min 12
    Gamelan with progressive rock. With complete female backing choir, keyboards,
    drums, electric guitars,.. Each of these I played are monster tracks. One of the
    top items ever.
    * Guruh Gipsy : "Chopin Larung" 7 min (CD2-Tr.1) -Indoprog-
    Track with lots of piano, Indonesian themes.
    Remark : Bassist Chrisye (his voice was on GG's "Chopin Larung") made an
    album afterwards with Jockie, the keyboardist of God Bless. This album was made
    before the legendary 'Badai Pasti Berlalu' (1978) - both musicians were
    considered as the brainchild of the revolution in Indonesia's pop music-. It was
    released on CD around 1998. Jurang Pemisah means "Valley Separation". I had one
    track on the compilation, rock with fine neo-Genesis prog keyboards but decided
    not to include it, because of time limitations, although it has really great
    keyboards.
    Info on Guruh Gipsy at http://www.angelfire.com/rock/indonesia/guruh.html
    and at http://www.indonesia-rock.gn.to/mania/guruh.html : "This band was
    organized with the above members and the some additional members such as female
    back vocal and Gamelan player. Their cassette, tape was sold with the
    booklet(about 30pages).The purpose was the introduction of the Balinese music .
    The idea was originated by GURUH SOEKARNO. Their sound was mixture between the
    traditional Balinese music and the progressive rock featuring some keyboards.
    Especially, "INDONESIAN MAHAMADDEKA", the first song of the Album ,is very
    amazing .the first part is the typical progressive rock sound like ELP. The
    second part is the very original sound which mixed progressive rock by mini moog
    with the Balinese music by Gamelan. After that ,the last part is also
    magnificent sound like the Italian prog.
    I must say again "THIS ALBUM is MASTER PIECE OF ASIAN PROGRESSIVE ROCK.". "
    Contact : drummer/vocalist at [email]keenan@centrin.net.id[/email]
    Collector's item. Only released on tape so far. Son of president did this huge
    project. Gamelan music with rock, Nice influences, electronica, traditional
    sounds,.. unique. It will be reissued soon by Musica Studio, a local label. The
    remastering process is supposed to have been going on for a while now in
    Australia. But I don't know whether the reissue will be distributed only
    domestically or internationally as well once it gets released. I will try to
    find out about it when I hear more news. I heard their item lately. It is
    incredibly good, very progressive and with lots of fusion ideas (*****). Highly
    recommended ! according to http://indoprog.cjb.net/ : Probably the most
    successful Indonesian progressive act of the 70's, they combined Balinese music
    (including gamelan and choir) and orchestral elements with their own views of
    progressive music. Influenced by the greats of prog rock, such as Yes, Genesis,
    and ELP. Quite well-known within the international circle of underground
    progressive music movement. Their self-titled album was released in 1977. Guruh
    Soekarnoputra was obviously the band's main creative force (and yes, he's the
    youngest brother of the present Vice President Megawati Soekarnoputri), but the
    rest of the band line-up contained talented and well-known musicians.
    Suryo : "GURUH GIPSY "s/t" 1975 : This album was the finest in Indonesian
    progrock history and the pioneer in our modern music history. Guruh Soekarno
    Putra (the son of our first president, Soekarno) wrote all the songs and since
    then has been a master of arts (music, traditional dance, painting). He wrote
    many successful songs with Chrisye mainly as his main performer. Their
    partnership lasts until today.
    Gipsy Band was a revolutionary youngsters back then. They used to play ELP and
    Genesis covers. They even played several gigs in Ney York a few years before GG.
    Guruh asked Gipsy Band for collaboration and make a 'new sound in the Indonesian
    pop music'. GG's line up was: Keenan Nasution (dr/ lead vocal on Indonesia
    Maharddika), Chrisye (b/ lead vocal on Chopin Larung), Odink Nasution (g/ v
    Keenan's younger brother), Abadi Soesman (mini-moog), Ronny Harahap
    (keys,organ). Guest star I Gusti Kompiang Raka (Balinese gamelan). He also
    toured with Discus on ProgDay."
    Guru Gipsy is one of my top 10 albums of all times.
    * Discus : 1st (Mellow Rec.) Tr.1, "Lamentation & Fantasia Gamelantronique" 9
    min
    2 songs from Discus 1st create a similar interesting situation as on Guruh
    Gipsy's album. This is progressive rock with gamelan & jazz passages &
    influences.
    * Discus : 1st (Mellow Rec.) Tr.9, "Contrasts" 13 min
    Another such track. The rest of the album is less innovating.
    See review & links at http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOREVIEWS.html
    * Karimata with Bob James : "Paddy Field" (CD1-Tr.7) 8 min -Indo prog fusion-
    This track is definitely more Indonesian in style (with choirs, gamelan, flute),
    with additional piano, drums, some electric guitar & fusion guitar. Very good. I
    will call it fusion prog.
    Comes close in style to the best tracks of Discus 1st.
    "The band was a fusion jazz band and their last album was called Jezz, 1991. In
    their final effort they blend fusion/ GRP-jazz with ethnic music. Difficult to
    explain which ethnic music, as they combined several in one song. FYI, there are
    hundreds of tribes in Indonesia and each have unique ethnic music. They invited
    GRP musicians such as Lee Ritenour, Bob James, Phil Perry, Ernie Watts to
    contribute their talent. The members were Aminoto Kosin (keyboard, now a
    symphony conductor),Erwin Gutawa (bass, no w a symphony conductor, also former
    bandmates of Fariz RM on TRANSS),Candra Darusman (keys and vocal, now active in
    Music Copyrights organization), Denny TR (guitar, now active as a session
    guitarist). As for drums they had 3 different drummers: Uce Hariono(now joined
    Denny TR session band), Aldy (no info) and Budy Haryono (now active in GIGI,
    also a rock band).
    4. INDO FUSION (-referring to India-)
    * CD1-Tr.5, Tohpati : "Mahabarata" 5 min -(Indian) jazzfusion progrock-
    Tr.5, Indian Jazz Fusion with funky bass and good drummer, fine electric
    guitarist. With female backing vocals.)

RADIOSHOW 2

5. INDOFUSION (-referring to Indonesia-)
    * SimakDialog : Trance/mission (Musikriza,2002) : Track 1, "This Spirit" 10 min
    Fine fusion jazz with a certain progressive rock touch, played with piano,
    Rhodes, electric and acoustic guitar, jazz drumming and percussion, fretless
    bass. This is my favourite track of the album. It's an enjoyable album, with
    relaxed instrumental music with a highly original exotic touch in the fusing

rhythm section.
    (* SimakDialog : Trance/mission (Musikriza,2002) : Track 2, "Throwing Worlds" 13 min )
    Another wonderful & nicely fitting track. Perfect combination of an original
    Jazz Fusion form with some progressive music touch, performed by a perfectly
    balanced group & a warm sound. Here with some more relaxed easy jazz / exotic
    rhythms). Sadly left out for time limitation reasons.
    See review & links at http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOREVIEWS.html

6. (CONTINUED) SYMPHONIC / PROG ROCK
    70's styles :
    * Symphony : "1/32" -symphonic- (CD1,Tr.9) 8 min 18
    Fine 70's styled piano/keyboards dominated symphonic music based upon classical
    melodic themes. Progressive band includes drums, and some bass guitar.
    "Symphony was formed in 1981-1982 and disbanded around 1992-1993. They only
    released 3 albums : 1. Trapesium 1982 (the song 1/32 was from this album): Fariz
    RM (vox, bass), Herman Gelly (keys, back vox), Jimmy Paais (guitars) and Ekky
    Soekarno (drums). All songs written by Fariz RM. 2. Metal 1984: the same line up
    plus Tony Wenas (keys and vox) 3. Normal (1991) forgot the exact year. The line
    up was Fariz, Jimmy and Herman. Fariz took both bass and drums.
    Actually this band was more a pop-new wave band. By the time they exist, new
    wave music (like Police) and new romantics (Duran-duran, etc) were top artists.
    The sound Symphony played was more in the 80's sound. You know, the sound of
    drums, keys, guitars and bass. However, there were prog spirit here and there.
    Although not exclusively on all tracks. 1/32 was their most prog tune. There
    were others, but it'll be more convenient to called these prog-pop or prog new
    wave or prog ska. After 1991, all members resigned except Fariz and he tried to
    rebuild the band. Among the line up was Adi Adrian (I included his one solo
    track, Satrya) and Budhy Haryono (he played drums on Karimata). But this line up
    never released an album, neither played on stage.All 3 albums were never got
    released on CD." Surjorimba
    * Keenan Nasution : "Negeriku Cintaku" 9 min (CD1,Tr.6) -symph prog-
    Symphonic music a bit in post Nice, Latte e Miele style, very classical
    inspired, with lots of keyboards and a bit nervous drumming. Especially the
    keyboards are interesting. The singing in the second part is ok. At the last
    part of it we hear some electric guitar as extra melodic layer, changing the
    sound a bit more towards some kind of progressive rock.
    "Di Batas Angan" 1980 "The drummer and vocalist of Guruh Gipsy's 1st solo album.
    His vocals can be heard on the 1st track in GG. This solo album mainly was pop,
    but there was one prog rock song. Keenan Nasution, along with his younger
    brothers Odink and Debby, plus Fariz RM formed GANK PEGANGSAAN. Di Batas Angan
    means 'The Edge of Dream". The song Negeriku Cintaku means "My Country, My Loved
    One"." Suryo
    * PS. Fariz RM's music might have fit well here, but I was a bit limited in
    time. The style of this album is a fusion of styles, with jazzy fusion
    improvisations, funky bass, symphonic keyboards, with more pop singing.
    FARIZ RM "Panggung Perak" 1981 : "This album was Fariz's 3rd or 4th album I
    forgot. His masterpiece actually was his 1st one, the album Sakura (1980). He
    played all the instruments here, as he always did in all of his solo albums
    until 1982. The title track here might not be his most prog song, but overall it
    is interesting to hear several movements. Beginning with his mother's speech
    talking about a young man (actually it was Fariz) who was very talented,
    ambitious, gifted, loved by friends and very idealist to make innovative music.
    However he was disappointed with his fellow 'modern music pioneers' that fell
    into the luxury of the famous (Chrisye, Jockie, Keenan, etc). Fariz is still
    active and planning to make a big aniversary of his career around July/ Aug this
    year. 'Panggung Perak' means 'Silver Stage'" Suryo
    The style of this album is a fusion of styles, with jazzy fusion improvisations,
    funky bass, symphonic keyboards, with more pop singing. Some of the recordings
    be used in a future radioshow.
    * I also had a fine track by Chrisye, bassist from Guruh Gipsy who made an album
    afterwards with Jockie, the keyboardist of God Bless. This track had rock with
    fine neo-Genesis prog keyboards but I was a bit limited in time to play all.

with ABBHAMA :
    * Abbhama : Alam Raya (1978) Tr.2, "Asmara" 3 min 30
    Nice prog pop & prog rock. With nice fusion guitar. With Hammond organ. A bit
    symphonic in its arrangements. With very sweet but good what only seemed to be
    female pop vocals. On the release are a few lesser tracks only. In general the
    item is really fine and absolutely worth to trace.
    * Abbhama : Alam Raya (1978) Tr.6 : "Terlena" 4 min 34
    This track is a bit in Errata Corridge like mood with dreamy soft progressive
    rock instrumentation. Somewhat sweeter as the other tracks, more pastoral,
    more acoustic symphonic, with flute and electric fingerpicking and keyboards.
    * Abbhama : Alam Raya (1978) Tr.8, "Malam" 5 min 39
    Very Debussy, ... inspired progressive rock, with what seemed to be female
    vocals (-this was Iwan Madjid who later formed Wow !"-) & backing vocals. With
    lots of duo piano. Very symphonic. Very nice and interesting. Very 70's as well.
    * Abbhama : Alam Raya (1978) Tr.10, "Ibu" 5 min 44
    Classical arranged, very filmic track. Highly unusual for an Indonesian band I
    guess. This last part is in a more 70's (French / Italian ?) movie-style (like
    Saint-Preux, with soft rock band and classical hobo..). The first part before
    this, "Indonesia" is left out for time limitations.
    Cover scan of CD : http://progressive.homestead.com/files/abbhama_web.jpg
    Info at http://www.angelfire.com/rock/indonesia/abbhama.html
    or http://www.indonesia-rock.gn.to/mania/abbhama.html : "The band is not popular
    in Indonesian people as well as Japanese like other Indonesian progressive rock
    bands. I also could chancily know the name for the first time when I were
    talking with one of Indonesian progressive rock mania. They released only one
    album named "ALAM RAYA" in 1978 within my knowledge. Their sound is surely in
    the category of progressive rock and it seems to be relical and introspective.
    It can be said that their sound is closely to French or Italian progressive
    rock. However their play style seems to be influent with ELP, especially
    keyboard work, because only English progressive rock materials were distributed
    against Indonesian Music market on these days. All songs was written by IWAN,
    (piano, vocals) and some songs were inspired from Buch and Debussy. After
    disbanded, IWAN and DARWIN formed the new band "WOW" that also released at least
    3 albums at least from 1983 until 1990 in Indonesia."
    It's an interesting album with a Latte e Miele / Errata Corridge / Zauber and
    such kind of styles sound.

with GIANT STEP :
    * Giant Step : Giant on the move (197?) Tr.1, "Farewell Today" 8 min
    Beautiful keyboards with fine progressive rock. One of the best Indonesian
    progressive rock items I know of. Recommended. Good heavy and progressive rock
    band sound.
    * Giant Step : Giant on the move (197?) Tr.3, "Liar" 6 min
    Mostly arrangements of keyboards combined with electric guitars and drums. With
    many complex rhythm changes. Very interesting and original sound. Yes, this
    absolutely is an album worth to trace. Songs are sung in English.
    * Giant Step : Giant on the move (197?) Tr.4, "A Fortunate Paradise" 5 min
    Starts as harder rock, but then has also nice classical piano passage, later on
    with addition of organ and the full (progressive rock) band.
    * Giant Step : Giant on the move (197?) Tr.6, "Decisions" 8 min 27 71
    This track is with more progressive rock improvisation, and even some Tullish
    flute. The vocals and the song is beautiful too. Fine electronic keyboards &
    Hammond organ, electric guitars, drumming and even vocals. My favourite track.
    It was really very difficult to leave out any tracks from this essential album.
    (* Giant Step : Giant on the move (197?) Tr.7, "Waiste Time" 9 min
    Again an excellent instrumental track. With harder & quieter passages. I left it
    out for time limitation reasons.)
    According to http://indoprog.cjb.net/ :
    "One of legendary Indonesian progressive rock acts of the 70's, their music
    showed influences of the greats of prog rock, but still managed to deliver
    originality. They started in early 70's, went through a series of line-up
    changes with the "keepers of the flame" being Benny Soebardja and Albert
    Warnerin, and managed to release several albums before finally breaking up in
    1986. Their best prog albums (as recommended by Denny Sakrie of M97FM) are Giant
    On The Move (produced by Nova Record Bandung), Kukuh Nan Teguh (Nova Record
    Bandung), and Persada Tercinta (Irama Tara Record)."
    It's one of the best progressive rock bands I heard from Indonesia. They sung in
    English. Interesting keyboards and perfect band sound. Hopefully this will get a
    reissue one day.

7. HARD ROCK
    * Gong 2000 : Prahara (Metrotama Rec.) Tr.1, "Lidah Petaka" 5 min -prog rockpop-
    Prog rock possibly influenced by hard rock & pop music. Not incredible. Goes a
    bit towards an ordinary straight (hard) rock style (MOAR). This is the only
    track from this album which I can still appreciate for various parts of the
    rhythms are based on the gamelan or gamelan like rhythms. Some parts of this
    track are interesting, some are better hard rock styled. An interesting track
    for various elements in it. 76
    Suryo : "Their album was only released as a cassette. 3 members of God Bless
    made this band, with some additionals. The music was pure rock, like Deep
    Purple. They formed this band when God Bless turned to a more Van Halen style
    (circa 1989)."
    Their later surely is not that interesting to collect. Cover of a compilation
    tape at http://progressive.homestead.com/files/gong2000web.jpg

8. INCREDIBLY FUSING & ARRANGED PROGRESSIVE SYMPHONIC ROCK WITH METAL,.. INFLUENCES
    * In Memoriam : "Overture" (demo) 13 min (CD2-Tr.6) -heavy symphonic prog - 90
    Played with metal guitar now and then, but actually symphonic progressive in
    content with a metal edge, and with addition of a jazzy tune two times, with
    even the adaptation of a folk tune. It's heavy (metal) music with various
    changes. With some funky bass passages, and a few times gothic, then improvising
    fast symphonic fusion piano. Interesting music.
    According to http://indoprog.cjb.net/ : "Practically unheard before the
    Indonesia Progressive Festival 2001, they became an overnight success, co-
    headlining the festival with relatively more well-known Discus,
    Pendulum and Smesta. Reports from witnesses said that these guys combine a lot
    of contrasting genres, much like what Mr. Bungle have done." Ajie Wartono :
    "This a unique band, more experimental and eclectic, their performance always
    was a theatrical performance. They have released their first album.."
    (producer of band is [email]andyjulias@yahoo.com[/email] (chairman of IPS-Indonesian
    Progressive Society)) "Indonesian new band, with demo. The official album is in
    over designing stage. Not sure the release date.
    The music is a mix of gothic, symphonic, dark, sometimes with rap vocals. Their
    official album was produced by Andy Julias, the Society's chairman" Suryo S.

* Discus : "..tot licht!" (Intrepid Music)(2003) Tr.1, "System Manipulation" 10 min 100
    After a second listen I preferred to include (in stead of the Indian Fusion
    track I choose first to start the show) this complex and loaded track,
    varying from metal, fusion jazz, Rock In Opposition, classical contemporarily
    music elements, Indonesian ethnical elements, to symphonic rock with post
    (heavy) rock touches, towards pleasant jazz with soulful female vocals, jazz
    improvisations, an ethnical folk passage, jazzrock, and so on. Really impressive
    when played loud enough !
    * Discus : "..tot licht!" (Intrepid Music)(2003) Tr.6, "Anne" 20 min 33 120
    Complex and somewhat loaded and dark, arranged and composed music with
    symphonic, progressive rock, fusion, RIO, Indonesian music, metal/hard rock,
    contemporary classical music, some jazzy improvisations, and various other
    influences. Music is paradoxally with the title (from darkness to light") darker
    as before and almost too loaded with ideas. Better is compared to earlier
    release is that each track is actually heavy symphonic rock. After some listens
    one can get used to the compactness of the music and of the incredible variety.
    On this track there's also an incredible and original combination of a jazzy
    improvisation (female vocals & later sax) with some Indonesian ethno folk vocal
    element ! In general this can be called a symphonic track. With electric violin
    improvisations too, and much more.. At the end the female vocals become heavy
    rock. Great ending ! Most impressive when played loud and on best equipment.
    The band is skilful, and the female voice is talented, ranged a variety of
    styles (music,soul,rock,jazz) with a stunning intensity at the end of this
    track. The mixing of styles here is ever surprising, inventive.
    (* Discus : "..tot licht!" (Intrepid Music)(2003) Tr.4, "Verso Kartini" 13 min
    Another fine track which has been left out for time limitations. )
    Full review at http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOREVIEWS.html
    * Kelal : 1000 thoughts of violence (2003) Tr.2, "Vox diaboli" 5 min
    * Kelal : 1000 thoughts of violence (2003) Tr.3, "In Continuum" 6 min
    * Kelal : 1000 thoughts of violence (2003) Tr 8, "Default" 5 min
    * Kelal : 1000 thoughts of violence (2003) Tr 9, "Beyond numerical reasons" 12 min 28 150
    From powerful & aggressive dark Metal mixed with progressive rock, heavy metal,
    classic hard heavy metal inf luences, to quieter thought over passages and very
    surprising rhythms and fine mixes in a perfect production. "Vox Diaboli" is a
    mostly up tempo track which seemed to be the most powerful track at first
    skipping. Track three is actually symphonic / progressive rock with some metal
    touch. I choose also track 8, because of it's song structure and unexpected
    unusual (and modern) rhythms. Last 12 minute track is also special, without much
    metal left, with even a progressive fusion rock touch and coloured voice
    arrangements. Modern, original. This release is a possibility to invite
    progressive rock listeners to take the challenge to open up their perspectives.
    All adaptations that occur here are very interesting. The drummer
    is very skilful. The first dark metal drummer I know that really adapts all
    kinds of other rhythms very skilful, and in an original way. Talented group.
    Full review at http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOREVIEWS.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information on progressive music in Singapore & Malaysia :
    http://progressive.homestead.com/MALAYSIA.html
    Information on progressive music in Indonesia :
    http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOPROGRESSIVE.html
    Reviews of new progressive music in Indonesia :
    http://progressive.homestead.com/INDOREVIEWS.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other playlists : http://psychevanhetfolk.homestead.com/2003.html
    General index page : www.radiocentraal.be/psychevanhetfolk
    More detailed index page : http://psychevanhetfolk.homestead.com/index.html

Receive weekly this playlist before the radioshow
    with new reviews and additional comments :
    Ontvang wekelijks playlist reeds lang voor de radio-uitzending :
    Subscribe / schrijf u in : [email]psychevanhetfolk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com[/email]

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    If you're in Jakarta Jl Surabaya is pretty good, it has a wide variety and you can pick most things up for about 15,000rp ($1.50) if you haggle. most of the records there however are slightly to very and audibly warped. there's also a spot called Taman Puring (sp?), there wasn't much there last time i went but i did manage to pull a joerg ben record in vg+ as well as some african stuff (which i though a bit odd). can't give ya any info on the indo stuff as i haven't dipped into it yet. if yer in this neck of the world drop a pm and i'll be happy to give ya any advice etc.

easy.

• DaptunesDaptunes 55 Posts
    Thanx for the info!
    If I wouldn't be doing my thing on Urgent.fm I'd shout to the world that Radio Centraal is !!
    Is there a podcast of the show?

Also heard that Singapore used to be good (and if you see the ebay sellers from singapore I'd say I believe it). Let's find out what Jakarta or Sumatra have for me!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Panbers.

Which ones are good?

I'm curious but afraid to pull the trigger without some info.

I've only had one and it was super beat, don't remember the name. Just throwing it out there as I know they have a bunch of records.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

The list of guys who went diggin at that jakarta market some weeks before i went there was pretty impressive, and you wouldnt think that there could possibly be ANY good record left with this list, but apparently they get new stock every other day. No real highlights for me, but stuff like Superfly, Dj Rogers, Mandrill, Andy Bey, some less desireable folk stuff for like 1 euro each.

• jmjmjmjmjmjmjmjm 31 Posts
    Spent a week over in Jakarta last summer & did a quick 20 minute mix of the better stuff I found. Nothing too rare there, I think. Theres one Panbers track @ 10:00 from their 13A album.

Look forward to hearing the comp.

Here be the link:
    http://soundcloud.com/jeremymurphy/btc

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Upping this for a friend who's headed to Jakarta on short notice for work, leaves in a couple days.

He's into records, but also interested in hearing from anyone who's been there re: general travel advice including but not limited to can't-miss food/drink, eye-popping sights, etc. Thanks for any info!

• onetet said:
    Upping this for a friend who's headed to Jakarta on short notice for work, leaves in a couple days.

He's into records, but also interested in hearing from anyone who's been there re: general travel advice including but not limited to can't-miss food/drink, eye-popping sights, etc. Thanks for any info!
    i'll tell him what a dude who lives there told me (his words not mine - he could be wrong):
    ...well it's a matter of luck, the country is almost emptied out by foreign collectors (who pay crazy high prices thereby destroying the market for the locals). some you can still find at jl. surabaya in jakarta but if you're white-skinned expect the prices to go into the hundreds of dollars per record...
    of course if you know someone down there then it helps alot. But if you do find some decently price vinyl here are somethings to look for:
    Panbers - Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
    stuff by AKA, especially Shake Me, Crazy Joe, & Do What You Like
    Yap Brother & His Orchestra
    The Rollies - Bad News, Soul Underground, and some others.
    + the stuff said in the thread.

• for anyone curious:
    http://www.npr.org/2010/12/02/131726892/the-lo-fi-legacy-of-indonesia
    Egon shares and talks about some of the Indonesian tracks that didn't make it. Good stuff.

• Thanks for posting that, I'd started to think that comp had fallen by the wayside. I've been in Jakarta for about 18 months now and have only started picking up local bits and pieces as of late (shameful, I know). For a while I was convinced that there were no good indigenous records but for every dangdut turd there's something killer. Koes Plus, Group 4 Nada and Two Faces are unfuckwithable to me right now. This in particular has been a find that I'm beyond delighted with.

• can't see the picture...

As for the Indonsian diggin', well, I met a couple of really interesting collectors (amongst others an in Bandung located dutch punk hip hop head and collector of under the radar indonesian classical/traditional music called Madrotter http://madrotter.blogspot.com/ - who hooked me up with my copy of the Enteng and his Comets).

I met Benny Soebardja (of Sharkmove and Giantstep) and experienced the launch of his "Shark on the Move" project (in a superfancy 4 star hotellounge): Sharkmove tunes played with his son - a now rising star on the Indonesian rock firmament (and reunited him with his very first and long lost '45).

I visited my very first untouched stock of a record factory/studio filled with '60ies and '70ies releases - unfortunately their output wasn't that super (if you'd be looking for anything with funky or weird stuff on it - got some good ones though...) - best of all I stumbled upon it...

All in all most collectors/dealers know the price and what is wanted, not too many real crazy releases (but Madrotter is still unearthing wicked stuff...), but anything besides diggin' was wicked too! Cheers for all the tips here too!

• Any pictures to share?