LONDON: What's good?

undocumentundocument 70 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Strut:I've lucked into a trip to London with the missus for a whole week starting Saturday. Since it wasn't exactly planned (on my end, at least) I've got no idea what to expect/do/eat/etc. and the "Take it to the Brits.com" thread isn't really the best resource for this kind of info. We got some real live Britons on the board (plus many international-saavy others), so if you could help out this kid from the colonies on what's good, I'd be much obliged.Anyone live or vacation in/near London? What's the best spots on limited pounds? Thanks and God save the queen.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's a big place, mate. In broad outline, what do you want to do? Where are you staying?

BTW there's a chance of snow on the way...

• Don't, whatever you do, try and go record shopping. London's been dry for these last few months, and the people working in the stores have somehow managed to become even bigger arseholes.

Most of the art galleries do free entry in London. if you're going to be on the millenium bridge as pictured, the other end of it has the Tate Modern gallery which is always worth a visit.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Don't, whatever you do, try and go record shopping. London's been dry for these last few months, and the people working in the stores have somehow managed to become even bigger arseholes.

The concept of London being "dry" is pretty mind blowing to me. Granted I haven't been there since 1995 but I have done a lot of record shopping there over the years and lived there in 1985-86. I'll never forget the first time I went shopping in London in 1982, my jaw dropped at was available. Granted most of the records were out my price range but it was great to see stuff I'd only read about in magazines at that point.
    The last time I went in '95 I brought a bag of traders which definitely helped ease the sticker shock.

• Sorry, i should have made myself clear. Dry as in - way overpriced common records - would you pay ?40 for MPB4's Cicatrizes? But, this has always been the case to an extent. I'm just mad that i've not found anything good down there the last few times i went.

If you know a few good dealers then its still great, but shop wise, not so much anymore. The trade stores have stopped buying stock from their dealers, loads of stores have closed & stock is becoming stale in the shops still left open.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I heard for 78 quid you can stay right in Henry VIII's bed at Hampton Court Palace. Run through Hampton Court Maze nakid at night and eat crisps and drink Lucozade in the Queen Mary's Bedchamber.

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts

notting hill/portabello rd. area has got some good record shops. its an interesting neighborhood anyway so worth a trip out there.
    for clubbing.. madam jojos in soho, or plastic people in shoreditch, although i heard plastic people were having problems with their licence or somethin.. anyone know what the story with that is?

• plastic people in shoreditch, although i heard plastic people were having problems with their licence or somethin.. anyone know what the story with that is?
    Police found traces of cocaine in the women's toilets & DJ Booth & Fights weren't subdued quickly enough by bouncers, this lead to complaints. There is a hearing with Hackney council on 8th April about it. If you've ever been to PP, then sign this petition.

If you're on Old Street for PP, then go to Life. Owned by a japanese dude (i think called Kato) who has some great records, but shows them by appointment only (he had an OG of Kitty Winter Gipsy Nova nicked from him - ouch!).

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    yeah, already did the petition. sounds like BS to me tho. you can find traces of coke in any club, and the crowd in pp didnt strike me as a violent bunch..

• alanmckalanmck 12 Posts
    There are still several shops in Soho, based around/ on Berwick Street - Sister Ray, Vinyl Junkies, Revival Records, and the Music & Tape Exchange. Sounds of the Universe (consistently one of th best shops in London, IMO, responsible for all those Soul Jazz Studio 1/ Black Jazz/ etc comps) is round the corner on Broadwick Street, and JBs(decent second hand place, but not too cheap) is just the other side of Oxford Street on Hanway Street. Excellent bar two doors down from that as well, Bradleys (Spanish Bar), which has probably the best jukebox in London (still on 45s, supplied from JBs...)

I think Notting Hill is your best bet though - you've got Rough Trade (now with a second hand basement), Minus Zero/Stand Out (which are closing down soon, so have massive discounts on stuff (lots of 60s/70s rock etc, less in the way of good jazz/ soul/ hiphop etc) and Intoxica (very pricey but you'll see record there that you won't see anywhere else) plus a couple of others

hope that helps.

happy travels.

• Great replies, thanks a lot.

It's a big place, mate. In broad outline, what do you want to do? Where are you staying?

BTW there's a chance of snow on the way...

We are staying in the South East London area, across the river from Big Ben, if I'm not mistaken. Anything good nearby (apart from major historical landmarks)?

Great recommendations on the record shops...I'll try to hit some of the more available ones, although since this was short notice I don't really have a lot of cash saved up for that.
    So we've got records handled, more or less. What about food? What's the spots that are tops for dining? My girl is interested in Indian food, whereas I could eat (or at least try) just about anything. What's the must-haves in London, as far as eating?

I heard for 78 quid you can stay right in Henry VIII's bed at Hampton Court Palace. Run through Hampton Court Maze nakid at night and eat crisps and drink Lucozade in the Queen Mary's Bedchamber.

Great advice, DOR. I will try this.

• For Indian food, Brick Lane is where you need to be. I've also heard lots of good things about Vibe Bar on Brick Lane for music.

• London has seen better days when it comes to records...

Sounds of the Universe (consistently one of th best shops in London, IMO, responsible for all those Soul Jazz Studio 1/ Black Jazz/ etc comps)

nice shop but its mostly all reissues and the vintage stuff is badly overpriced and often in horrible shape. They wanted 40 quid for a warped copy of sonny stitt "tornado" last time i was there, and that was the best deal in the shop.

berwick street used to be the spot, but it is totally dired up.

Rough Trade

total crapola. 15 quid grover washington jr's for days. not sure how this place manages to stay in business, their rent must be steep.

Intoxica

this is what we call a "record museum". guy has titles you want but at prices that will make you roll your eyes in disgust. F*ck him and his prices.

the only place in london worth going to imho are the tape and record exchanges in notting hill and camden town. the guys that run it can be pricks and you're not allowed to listen to anything but the stock is constantly turning over, the prices are fair and drop weekly on unsold items. these are the only guys in london doing it right anymore on a retail level.

• also, stay away from those gross thai vegetarian buffets... for cheap eats make your way to the food stalls in camden market around 5ish, when all the food is half price.

• FMF, i remember arguing a while back against your view point with regards to London shops, but recently i've come to agree with it to a degree!

The only reason i can think for Rough Trade staying in business is because of the success of their label. Likewise with SOTU, but to a lesser extent because their store is actually half decent.

One further recommendation is Honest Jons, right at the end of Portobello Road. If you're in need of cheap (for the UK) new releases, they are where you need to go. In all honesty though, i don't check their store unless i'm really close - their online service is great.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Is Gerald Jazzman still in Camden market?

• glad i could convince you i guess, too bad it brings me no joy to be right in this instance.

i don;t buy reissues and comps so that whole scene is just off my radar but the vintage situation is off-the-hook bad considering what a giant and culture-filled city london is.

can it be that rents are just too high to make a "good record shop" (good prices/good selection/good service) a viable option? mind you, good customer service costs nothing and some of the biggest dickheads in that city seem to be working behind the counter of record shops....

• Is Gerald Jazzman still in Camden market?

he hasn;t had a stall or shop in ages. i think it is by appointment only and even then his prices are exorbitance (as bad as intoxica)

• some of the biggest dickheads in that city seem to be working behind the counter of record shops....
    So, so true. I was lectured by one of the hipster drones who works at Revival Records last time i was down there about record grading because i asked for a little discount on the basis of a few scratches on a record.
    If you want a good experience record shopping in London, go to Ifmusic's new spot and get chatting to Aaron Jerome & Jean Claude if either of them are there.