Anybody here join a record club?

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
I did, in the early 70's. Columbia House.I sent in a penny, got 10 albums and an option to buy other albums cheap - including the 'album of the month' which would be sent to you unless you returned a card saying you didn't want it.My older brother explained to me that a 12 year old could not be held responsible for a legal agreement so I didn't have to pay. They continued to send me records for three years. The total amount I sent them was a penny. Anybody else?

Comments

• same deal. but in the 1990's with Columbia House.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    joined a couple in high school w/ a few variations on my name. can't really F*ck up your credit score when you have no credit. i guess those fake names were technically aliases.

getting nostalgic now, particularly those back of the newspaper cut-outs w/ the circle to tape the penny onto.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I gaffled Columbia House a couple of times as well, but when I would forget to decline the monthly selection, I would just write "return to sender" on the box.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    my cassette collection was deep for a fifth grader because of Columbia House. I joined BMG in high school as well. I remember someone telling me that the BMG cds were thinner, like a cheaper version/bad quality and I remember The Wherehouse wouldn't always take BMG cds as trades.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i remember bmg cassettes and cds didnt have bar codes. just the address of bmg. and a lot of their tapes had black cases i remember.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I did this a number of times including a few where I ordered them with a fake name to the empty house across the street from me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Pretty much how I got most of my CDs in elementary and middle school, and also why my dad has way too many ECM records.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Pretty much how I got most of my CDs in elementary and middle school, and also why my dad has way too many ECM records.

i was really stressed that i had paid nothing for my death row records/wu tang collection

i got a letter from BMG like 3 years later and i was like here we go
    i gotta pay up
    they were saying the club was going bankrupt and they thanked me for my loyalty

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I joined either Columbia House or RCA around 1976. Got the ten for a dime (Yes, Neil Young, The Who, Grateful Dead, Airplane etc.) which was fine. The problem came when we left town for the summer and came back to find some Abba records waiting for us and since we hadn't mailed them back in time, we now owed for them. Can't remember what I did with the records but they did NOT stay in my collection.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I joined when I was in the 7th grade. I remember the choices were terrible, not alot of good rap/hip hop but I received a few gems from what I remember. Wasn't surprised when the whole record club thing went under.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I remember in 1984 as a 7 to 8 year old getting "Beat Street", Prince's "Purple Rain", and ZZ Top on cassette. Man, I loved 1984.

We loved this track from "Beat Street"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I remember in 1984 as a 7 to 8 year old getting "Beat Street", Prince's "Purple Rain", and ZZ Top on cassette. Man, I loved 1984.

We loved this track from "Beat Street"

Me and my hommie Terry Fua did a version of this for our sixth grade Xmas talent show. A few girls did a dance routine to "Cool It Now" and that's just about all I remember of it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Me and my hommie Terry Fua did a version of this for our sixth grade Xmas talent show. A few girls did a dance routine to "Cool It Now" and that's just about all I remember of it.

besides this awesome video? Happy Bornday, Waxjunky!!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    same deal. but in the 1990's with Columbia House.

Same thing.

I remember running out of hip hop tapes I wanted to get and ordering some R&B etc. hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed.

Oooohhh... On the TLC did not do it for me.

I also remember my mom taking away the New Jack City soundtrack I had ordered... I can't even think of why. It was before I even opened it. I remember being highly pissed.

A couple later I picked it up on CD, opened it, and listened to it. I remember being highly pissed.

There were some good items I got from Columbia House though. For instance I do believe I still have my BDP Live Hardcore Worldwide tape floating around here somewhere.