1)saint-preux
    2)1998
    3)church basement
    4)Seemed like psych and was on gamma..
    then i heard the clef sample....;)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

2)1979

3)some mom and pop store in Palmerston North NZ

4)My dad played bass guitar in a band, i knew about KISS and was all fired up. I was 6, i remember saving my pocket money, going to the store, getting the record home, putting the poster on the wall and being Ace Frehley beacuse i nicked my mums lipstick.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Adam and the Ants--Kings of the Wild Frontier
    Peaches(?) Northwoods Mall
    Charleston, SC

1) Elton John "Bennie & The Jets"
    2) Probably like 1978 or 1979.
    3) Probably Sam Goody or Coconuts or Strawberry's
    4) Because it was my favorite song and I would play it all the time on my Scooby Doo fold & play turntable.

I loved that song too, but way before I bought my own records. Played Mom's copy over and over and pretended to play piano with it. My 3yo son loves that song too.

We listened to Sweetheart of the Rodeo on the way home yesterday and I later heard him out in yard singing "Ooh--ee ride me high. Tomorrow's the day my bride's gonna come..." Kids are great and music unlocks something really beautiful in their minds.

• 1) beatles - white album
    2) 1972
    3) record shop @ viktualienmarkt, munich, germany
    4) my mother finally gave me the other 50% of the DM 12 (i was 5 and saved my pocket-money for months)

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I grew up on records. Sesame Street and all that. I think the first one I bought was Future Shock or the Buffalo Gals Maxi single. When? Ealy 80's. Where? The mall. Remember when the mall had records? Those were the days.

• 1) Damnation A.D. (although I think they were just "Damnation then): S/T 7"
    2) 1993
    3) Washington, DC. Outiside a show at the Safari Club (I think it was an Integrity show?)
    4) I copped that and the Battery: Only the Diehard Remain CD. Both had just dropped and the bands were pedaling them outside, Percee P stylee.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    1) josh - endtroducing
    2) 1998
    3) electric fetus - duluth MN
    4) i had been planning on getting into djing and already had some records my bro had given me cuz he worked at the shop + dads collection of CHUD and eventually bought tables aroud 2000....

1) on the slightly embarrassing tip:

2) im thinking maybe 1978? i was 8 i think.

3) probably Cavages, in some mall, some suburb of buffalo NY

4) i wanted to be like my older brothers and start getting records of my own (that weren't the thrashed 60's hand me down childrens records or the random early 70s pop 45s my older siblings had bought years back and had abandoned). but i had no idea what to buy, so i bought a record my brothers already had! but i learned a lesson about condition that day, as from that day on i had to guard my copy from being switched off with their "partied on" copy.

i didnt buy much else till about 1982, when i started liking the clash, devo, talking heads, bob marley, and wall of voodoo. but i do recall around 1981 i bought the entire doors catalogue second hand from my older cousin at $3 per minty LP.

Dreamer is a great song. There's much more embarrassing stuff on here.

The first record my wife bought was Breakfast in America.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I had previously received records as gifts (Queen - The Game being the first), and I had joined Columbia House (ACDC's - Back in Black came in that initial batch), but the first record I recall buying on my own was:

The Kinks - Give the People What They Want

Picked it up at the Army PX in Panama while I was spending a month down there with my grandma circa 1982.

And I clearly remember when Destroyer and I Love Rock n Roll were simultaneously the 2 biggest rock songs anywhere...most notably at Skate Town in Gretna, Louisiana.

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    1) Hotel California - The Eagles 7"
    2) 1986 (I was 10 years old)
    3) Maxis, Muiden, Netherlands
    4) The first time I realised I could use my pocket money to buy records.

Eat that!

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    redman- muddy waters lp
    97 i think
    comet records
    they didnt have the cd

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    jive bunny and the mastermixers
    1989 / 1990
    i was 9 or 10 years old
    woolworths
    what can i say, i thought it was the shit.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    1-
    2- 1975, I was 5 years old
    3- Sam Goody, Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, NY
    4- It was that or 8-Track!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Just remembered that another reason I started buying vinyl was that I thought the re-sale value would be lower . Up until then, everytime I was skint and needed some quick cash, I was going out and pawning my CD collection, and then 're-acquiring' a new collection from HMV courtesy of the five fingered discount. Records seemed like something I'd be less likely to be able to sell on a whim for a good return.

• Hugh Masakela "The Promise of a Future"
    Last Vestige Records, Albany, NY
    Spring, 1999- 19 years old
    My grandmother game me a turntable... At $4, it was cheaper than a CD

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    1. DJ Rectangle Ultimate Battle Weapon Vol 1. & Protect Your Neck Promo copy
    2. One World Style Records, El Paso, TX
    3. August 1998
    4. It was the end of the summer of my first job where I saved up money for my first pair of turntables and mixer. I went home and scratched for hours over wutang.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Purchased: Summer of 1976 or 1977, not sure exactly

Store: Newbury's five and dime (across from the old outdoor Lloyd center mall), in the basement in the record racks. I think i paid 50 cents.

Why: Record was blowing up the radio. Had to have it.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

1) See above
    2) 198? (og 45 rpm pressing)
    3) SoundWarehouse Lakewood, CO
    4) I was 9 or 10 and i really dug that guitar.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    1- 3- Sam Goody, Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, NY

Growing up in Brooklyn a trip out to Green Acres was almost like a vacation.

A few miles east in Massapequa was a small Amusement Park/Zoo on Sunrise Highway.

Only when I got older did I realize what a dump both places really were.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

1) Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me 7"
    2) 1983
    3) Strawberry's
    4) I don't remember what happened exactly, but I remember bringing it home and playing the instrumental side first and thinking that the record was defective. My parents had bought a handful of records for my sister and I (Thriller, Sesame Street Disco, the "Annie" Soundtrack) prior to that, but mostly I was messing with tapes.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    2. 1983
    3. Most likely Caldor (I find myself wanting to type "Caldors")
    4. I was 9. Look at that record cover. Explanation not necessary. I do remember my mother having a good laugh reading through the lyrics. Considering that she is, to this day, a strong Roman Catholic, I have to give her credit for not breaking that record over her knee.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    ) Led Zeppelin 4
    2) 1977[/b]
    3) Hi Fi Records - Sao Paulo, Brazil
    4) Had money from my first salary
    I forgot how old you were Chris!

Oooops!

I'm not Chris.
    I'm Edson.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    it does get a little bit blurry, but when trying to recall, i think the first record buy was actually for a friend of mine back in the public school era.. purchased an album with eddie grant, only song i remember from it was walk down to electric avenue something, anyway, eddie had a hit with that song, and i bought it at a local shop, as a present for my friends birthday, the date, prolly.. early 80s, maybe 82 83ish ?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    1. I got a few in the same first purchase--Herbie Hancock's Thrust, Crusaders' At Their Best, Billie Holiday's Body & Soul, and something else I'm forgetting now.
    2. April/May, 2005, at the end of my freshmen year in college
    3. Some guy on Thayer St., Providence, Rhode Island
    4. I had been playing records on a radio show, but didn't have my own turntable or records yet. I figured a few 50cent records would be a good place to start up a collection, and I'd pick up a turntable soon. I was mostly copping for Thrust, since I was listening to that every day at that point..the other two were just lagniappe. Picked up a friend's hand-me-down turntable a couple weeks later and placed both feet into the black hole of crustiness.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    1) Yes - Fragile
    2) 1975
    3) Peaches Records and Tapes - Atlanta, GA
    4) My friend Kent Fields, who played bass and had knowledge way superior to mine, said I should get it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    (I find myself wanting to type "Caldors")

NEW LEVELS OF ILL.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    ...KISS....
    ..They were my favorite band.....

I totally agree! My older brother was a KISS FANATIC so I, luckily, had all their schitt within reach. Even the toys, dolls, games, shrinky dinks, etc. Still love'em.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Thriller
    1983, I was 7
    Leopold Records
    I think it was the idea of the cover and the inner sleeve. I inherited my folks' rock and jazz records but with current/popular music I usually would buy tapes.

The first record I kind of consciously purchased as a teenager would be either KMD "Peachfuzz" or Gang Starr "Just To Get A Rep" 12s which I bought the same day, at Leopolds. Quiet as kept I think I bought an Enigma record too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Craziest shit to me is that I absolutely loved Kiss, but it's not because I liked their music, which I found a little too scary or something when I was a kid. But maybe I loved them cause they seemed like real-live super heroes or something. I do remember that all us kids used to "choose" which Kiss member we would be. I always chose Peter Kriss for some reason. Seems really lame in retrospect hahah... At least I wasn't the f*cking Starchild.