1st Vinyl You Ever Bought

DJxREMARKABLEDJxREMARKABLE 53 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
not sure if there's a thread like this already but I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you remember the very first vinyl you bought. Please post the following info...1) name of the record2) year you bought your 1st record3) store you bought it from (include city and state)4) optional: why you decided to buy vinyl that dayi'll start...1) KRS-1 - Step Into My Wold2) 19983) Rasputin (Campbell, CA)4) couldnt find the cd single so i bought it on vinyl. i didnt even own a turntable at the time but promised myself that i would buy myself tables one day and become a dope Hip Hop DJ haha. buying my 1st vinyl felt like smoking weed for the 1st time...it felt good...but i didnt know i'd get addictedyour turn. let's keep this going...

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    - Venus/Hot Sand 45 - Shocking Blue
    - Some record store in the Cape Cod Mall.
    - I was seven and already way into records. I had an older brother and sister and I played theirs, but they didn't have this and I wanted to hear it. I bought it for Venus, but I ended up liking Hot Sand better.

RIP Mariska Veres:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    1) AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    2) 1979
    3) Tower Records (Tacoma,WA)
    4) Why? Because AC/DC are one of the best rock groups ever and this album is incredible.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    1)Big Daddy Kane - Ain't No Half Steppin' (45)
    2)1988
    3)Tower Records (Mountain View,CA)
    4)I was 11 years old,Pops was a DJ,I was tired of learning with his collection of high energy records...hip hop was da hot ish...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    saved up allowance money:

1)The Police - Ghost in the Machine

2)Summer of 1983

3)Towers (not the record store, something more akin to K-Mart or Woolworth) Thorncliffe Park, Toronto

4)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    1) Handsome Boy Modeling School So How's Your Girl...
    2) 1999
    3) Tower Records, Stockton, CA
    4) Vinyl is cool

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    With my own money:
    -Kool G. Rap-Road to the Riches
    -Orpheus (Washington, DC)
    -"Road to the Riches" was my favorite song at the time, and it was cheap because it was a promo copy.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    1-Kinks-Give the People what they want

2-1981-10 years old

3-Sound Shop, Hickory Ridge Mall, Memphis TN

4-at the time the 2 biggest songs on Rock radio in Memphis were Kinks "Destoyer" and Joan Jett "I Love Rock n Roll"...and I loved both songs. To this day I cannot tell you why I chose the Kinks LP over Joan. I remember having to make up my mind in the store. Still have it, and listen to it from time to time.

you make the choice

• Survivor- Eye of Tiger

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    1st 45: Four Seasons "Sherry" TSS(Times Square Store) Brooklyn, NY

1st LP: Blue Cheer "Vincebus Eruptum" Red's Toy Store, Utica Ave. Brooklyn, NY

• early 80's
    dunno
    Norman slays

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Musical Youth "Youth of Today" LP, 1982 -Record Bar -East Point Mall ` Baltimore, Maryland
    It was a friday and my mom just got paid. We heard the song about a week earlier and loved it. At the time we would take the bus home when she got off work and the mall was near our transfer. I was 7 years old.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    - War: "Galaxy" (Picture sleeve 7")

- 2002 (I think)

- Thrift Town, Albuquerque, NM

- My friend that I came up with told me to buy it. He said, "Here. Your first b-boy break!"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    1.) The Originals - KISS
    2.) 1976
    3.) DJS Sound City (Seattle, Wa.)
    4.) They were my favorite band and this contained 3 records in total instead of just one.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    1) Madonna - Cherrish 7"
    2) 1989
    3) Grace Bros, Penrith
    4) Before you clon, it was a gift for this girl I had a crush on in grade 6! Yes, I was in year 6 too.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

1. White Lines PT2- Grandmaster Melle Mel and the Furious Five
    2. Fairfield Heights St Vinnies (thrift store)
    3. 1991 (12yrs old)
    4 Why? Cus I had just started getting into Hip Hop and got indoctrinated by old school dudes that Hip Hop ppl MUST buy their music on vinyl.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    1) Jackson Five - Looking Through The Windows album
    2) 1972 - first non-kiddie LP I owned
    3) bought for me on my fifth birthday (along w/a GE portable record player) in Chicago, IL, couldn't tell you where my parents bought it from
    4) this was the early seventies, it's not like I had the choice between that and a CD and a download. (LOL!)

not sure if there's a thread like this already but I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you remember the very first vinyl you bought. Please post the following info...

1) name of the record
    2) year you bought your 1st record
    3) store you bought it from (include city and state)
    4) optional: why you decided to buy vinyl that day

i'll start...

1) KRS-1 - Step Into My Wold
    2) 1998
    3) Rasputin (Campbell, CA)
    4) couldnt find the cd single so i bought it on vinyl. i didnt even own a turntable at the time but promised myself that i would buy myself tables one day and become a dope Hip Hop DJ haha. buying my 1st vinyl felt like smoking weed for the 1st time...it felt good...but i didnt know i'd get addicted

your turn. let's keep this going...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    1) Led Zeppelin 4
    2) 1977
    3) Hi Fi Records - Sao Paulo, Brazil
    4) Had money from my first salary

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ) Led Zeppelin 4
    2) 1977[/b]
    3) Hi Fi Records - Sao Paulo, Brazil
    4) Had money from my first salary
    I forgot how old you were Chris!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    1) looptroop - heads or tails ep
    2) 1998
    3) skivb?rsen - v?ster?s, sweden
    4) my dad's friend had mixed it and played it for me on cdr before it came out, i had just begun to get into hiphop a couple of years earlier and i thought looptroop were the coolest cause they were "vinylists" and talking about "real hiphop" etc. i was 12 years old.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    1) Elton John "Bennie & The Jets"
    2) Probably like 1978 or 1979.
    3) Probably Sam Goody or Coconuts or Strawberry's
    4) Because it was my favorite song and I would play it all the time on my Scooby Doo fold & play turntable.

• 1.Beatles White album and 2nd greatest hits (blue): 2 for 1.
    3.M**K C**e, some kid I knew
    4. He sold me his parents records real cheap for weed money. Sucker.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    1. DJ Funk - Ghetto House Anthems
    2. 1997
    3. Record Collector, Iowa City, IA
    4. Bought it for the track XTC (or what is now called Run), still love that track

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Its hard to remember exactly, because a lot of my first records were inherited.

I'm going to go with

1. NTM - La Fieve
    2. 2003
    3. Unknown record store, Nice, France
    4. That song represented the time in my life when I first fell in love with hip hop.

In 1997 at age 13, I was lucky enough to spend my first year of high school at an international school in Paris. I was exposed to so many people from all around the world who were into many different things, one of them being hip hop. I?d stay up every night and tape rap songs off the radio. This new music was amazing and the French stuff at the time had its own special flavour that I became addicted to.

By the time I returned to France for a holiday in 2003, I had just begun flirting with a record addiction. I saw this gem in a record shop in Nice and picked it up immediately.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

1) on the slightly embarrassing tip:

2) im thinking maybe 1978? i was 8 i think.

3) probably Cavages, in some mall, some suburb of buffalo NY

4) i wanted to be like my older brothers and start getting records of my own (that weren't the thrashed 60's hand me down childrens records or the random early 70s pop 45s my older siblings had bought years back and had abandoned). but i had no idea what to buy, so i bought a record my brothers already had! but i learned a lesson about condition that day, as from that day on i had to guard my copy from being switched off with their "partied on" copy.

i didnt buy much else till about 1982, when i started liking the clash, devo, talking heads, bob marley, and wall of voodoo. but i do recall around 1981 i bought the entire doors catalogue second hand from my older cousin at $3 per minty LP.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    1) DJ Shadow "In/Flux" blue sleeve
    2) 1996
    3) JJ Belgium
    4) bought it together with the Endtroducing CD

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wow... you guys are old!!

1) DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World 12"
    2) 1997
    3) Newbury Comics in Hyannis, MA
    4) My skater homie had just bought turntables and I thought DJing looked cool

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    1) Nirvana - Nevermind or The Coup - Takin These 12" (can't remember which was first, but they were copped during the same time period).
    2) 1997
    3) Tower Records, Emeryville
    4) Something attracted me to the large format covers.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    1. Aceyalone - Book of Human Language (I think)

2. 1999

3. Stress in Bergen, Norway

4. I had just got me some cheap as chips turntables (Gli, the fake brand with the Pioneer innards) in a package deal from some shifty magazine on a visit in America. My brother and a friend of the family gave me a bunch of random hip-hop stuff, so that started it off, but I think the Book of Human Language was the first vinyl I bought by my own with my own money. I remember playing "Wall and Windows" over and over again.

Still wish I'd picked up the instrumental LP as well.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    1. The prodigy - experience

2. mid 90s

3. Bremen, Germany

4. Didn?t even own a record player, but thought it?s just a lot cooler. Really liked jungle & DnB as well, which was all about records and dubplates then.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    not sure if there's a thread like this already but I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you remember the very first vinyl you bought. Please post the following info...

1) name of the record Was a few things at once - some MoWax records (Krush) and maybe a jungle record by Source Direct because the guy in the shop blagged me with the "you need this in your life" schpiel.[/b]

2) year you bought your 1st record I'm guessing around 1994-95[/b]

3) store you bought it from (include city and state) Massive Records... semi-famous dance music record shop in Oxford (England), one of those too-cool-for-school places that makes you feel intimidated and un-hip if you have to ask questions/want to listen to something first/weren't on pills the night before/not talking with a lit fag hanging out the corner of your mouth[/b]

4) optional: why you decided to buy vinyl that day I'd come to the conclusion that if I didn't want to do heroine with my friends, I needed something else to spend my criminally gotten gains on. Records saved my life mang![/b]