Bill Murray Appreciation Post

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Has there ever been one yet on the strut?From SXSW...GZA on Bill Murray peer pressure."I started hanging out with Bill Murray. I got so wasted. Then, I started hearin' about the show later on, and I was like, Show? What show?" "It started off with some beers. I actually forget the name of the beer - it was dark, like a Guinness. It had a funny, foreign name. I drank maybe four of those, which was cool. I probably drank two on stage, throughout the show. I had a shot too. After that [first] show, we went across the street to this bar that Bill was in earlier, and he just started drinkin', man. Shots was goin' down, down, down. A couple of more drinks, and boom! You know when it hits you? Then dude starts talkin' about, "Come on, we've gotta go do this other show." I was like "what!" I was messed up. Most people could see, I was out of it. Lesson learned."I can't imagine ordering in a bar being served by Murray and asking for something and getting tequila instead. Would anyone every complain? I highly doubt it.

Has there ever been a really shitty Murray movie? Besides Garfield?The Razor's Edge is under rated. I'm really hoping Ghostbusters III doesn't suck.

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Was thinking that he got no mention in the "I don't know anyone who doesn't like..." thread.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I spent a few summers on Martha's Vineyard and saw Murray once in Oak Bluffs. He had and ice cream cone in his hand and a huge grin and behind him were like 8 or 9 little kids all following him in a row with their own ice cream cones. If that doesn't make you smile nothing will.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    i saw Bill a couple times last year at Austin City Limits. He was rocking out to Beck and Band of Horses.
    he's such an interesting dude...but i definitely didn't want to go up and distract him from the good time he was having. I overheard some dude at the club saying to him "dude...Rushmore basically, like, changed my life."

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Great one.

Bill was Daves first guest on Late Night February 1, 1982

• C A D D Y S H A C K

goat

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Watched this one for the first time recently...

It was interesting, but ultimately so-so.

I'll forever ride for this one though...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    LOVE BILL MURRAY!!
    edith head once posted him announcing a cubs game in a B.M. App Thread. Hilarious!
    such a legend. funny ass mofo. prob my favorite actor/comedy guy ever.
    groundhog day
    what about bob
    scrooged
    ghostbusters
    etc
    etc
    etc

all huge to me when i was a kid.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Lost In Translation is wack

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Man, I really hate to sound like the lone debby downer here, but I honestly don't really get it. Even the coffee and cigarettes thing, I just don't really get it. Although I haven't seen a lot of his 80s stuff though, except for ghostbusters. but that "rant" clip wasn't funny, and that interview wasn't funny to me either.

I did see groundhog day in the 90s but I don't remember anything about it.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    he is my very first crush. my older sister has audio recordings of me crying as toddler because she kept taunting me flicking his face in a magazine. so cruel

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    also i started a bill murray thread a loong time ago posting a clip of him standing in for harry caray during a cubs/expos game. unfortunately, wgn pulled the clip due to copyright infringement. it was laffs for days though!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Stripes was essential memorization in my childhood neighborhood.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Friend of a friend's band, The Like, were playing a house party at SXSW.
    Guess who rolls up to the stage with a tambourine...

Texas, thanks for everything. Sad to leave you, must come bac... on Twitpic

Ha ha ha! Xx on Twitpic

• Funny, a friend just showed me hipster-y picture of Bill Murray hanging out with some friends in Detroit. Seems like he's on the scene these days- getting it in.

• The cinderella story, tears in his eyes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SNL

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    massive cosign, my favorite comedy actor ever, from caddy shack, to stripes to life aquatic.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    His SNL work, Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Scrooged, Groundhog's; no one's f*cking with these.

Then a brief, amazing resurgence with Rushmore and Kingpin.

Then (IMO) he fell victim to indie flick overexposure (Royal Tannenbaums, Lost in Trans, Darjeeling, Coffee and Cigs, Life Aquatic, Broken Flowers, etc.)...

Now I'm sad to say I hardly check for him.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Then (IMO) he fell victim to indie flick overexposure (Royal Tannenbaums, Lost in Trans, Darjeeling, Coffee and Cigs, Life Aquatic, Broken Flowers, etc.)...

bingo

"Appreciation Post"

Hate all you want. Dude had more people laughing in one of his last film appearances (Which was for 3 mins) than most dudes you could post up in the last 5 years.

• Man, I really hate to sound like the lone debby downer here, but I honestly don't really get it. Even the coffee and cigarettes thing, I just don't really get it. Although I haven't seen a lot of his 80s stuff though, except for ghostbusters. but that "rant" clip wasn't funny, and that interview wasn't funny to me either.

I did see groundhog day in the 90s but I don't remember anything about it.

You have just confirmed that you are not funny. Quick, delete your post!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

good god do I love this movie