Death Wish (for NY)

Death Wish 2 (for LA)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    No love for "Kiss Me Deadly"?

I thought it was so very LA.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    A couple more:

NY:

This is like a triple bill plucked straight from my darkest nightmares.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Fingers

YES

Hell yes.

"Double suck!"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Repo Man!

Hustler White!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    Jackie Brown

How about Gregg Araki? (now I am veering off topic) - I know his films are not all about LA, but he seems like such an LA director to me.

And co-sign on Kiss Me Deadly... I would add Witness to Murder to that, too.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned After Hours, one of my absolute favorite NYC movies. It captures the vibe of downtown in the 80's perfectly IMO.

Also, Ghostbusters.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hmmm. Speaking of New York flicks. Year of the Dragon is on. Was this any good? I can't remember.

It's ambitious, I'll say that much. Just not that well-executed. The movie is sort of required "to be hated" within progressive Asian American circles though I always felt it was rather overly maligned as irredeemably anti-Asian. I think it actually has a lot more nuance. That said, the Asian reporter was lame as hell. But John Lone up in the Golden Triangle, negotiating heroin deals?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I might need to revisit it (only saw the movie when I was a young teen) but the fact that L.A. Story is included in the list pretty much deads the argument. Maybe throw The Player on there instead?

New York forever.

L.A. Story has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I was surprised to see it on the list too, but glad to see someone else likes it.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Book amazing, movie not so much.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Hmmm. Speaking of New York flicks. Year of the Dragon is on. Was this any good? I can't remember.

It's ambitious, I'll say that much. Just not that well-executed. The movie is sort of required "to be hated" within progressive Asian American circles though I always felt it was rather overly maligned as irredeemably anti-Asian. I think it actually has a lot more nuance. That said, the Asian reporter was lame as hell. But John Lone up in the Golden Triangle, negotiating heroin deals?

Ended up watching it. I hear what ur saying. And totally agree on the reporter. Awful acting. But there were some great parts to this movie. I have to admit I enjoyed watching a young Mickey Rourke in full swagger mode.

6.5 outta 10

Though, I might rate it a 7.5 with a better actress in that role.

Book amazing, movie not so much.

Plus, this is shot in Toronto

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    NY for the genre films...

Basket Case
    Driller Killer
    Liquid Sky
    King of New York
    Street Trash
    Superfly
    Inferno
    Warriorz
    Escape from NY
    Ghostbusters

Yes. Three things drew me to New York as a little girl in that I-am-scared-of-the-rollercoaster-but-it-is-so-beautiful-and-dangerous-I-must-get-on-the-ride way: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Daddy Was a Number Runner and Fame.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned After Hours, one of my absolute favorite NYC movies. It captures the vibe of downtown in the 80's perfectly IMO.

After Hours seems to get more love on this site than King of Comedy, which puzzles me. I love both movies, but KoC is just next-level.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

!!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Yes. Three things drew me to New York as a little girl in that I-am-scared-of-the-rollercoaster-but-it-is-so-beautiful-and-dangerous-I-must-get-on-the-ride way: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Daddy Was a Number Runner and Fame.
    yes, fame is greatness. pretty much the only movie that sums up my highschool going exp.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

yes, fame is greatness. pretty much the only movie that sums up my highschool going exp.

U were a Dancer?!!!?!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    The opinions being presented here are record breaking. Sorry, I really try and not get perturbed with people's opinions/tastes, but Pulp Fiction, Swingers and When Harry Met Sally and American Psycho bad ? Jesus. Not just "wasn't for me, but I can see why people like it" but flat out bad ??

I can see why some people might not like American Psycho as a film altogether, but it's like Gangs of New York to me...you're watching it for one character, really. You can't front on that movie for his album covering monologues alone.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Repo Man is one of my all-times.

The Conversation is great (why are we talking about it here BTW?).

This movie was horrible:

U were a Dancer?!!!?!

Naw, they probably just broke out and danced in the Cafeteria. Didn't you???

The opinions being presented here are record breaking. Sorry, I really try and not get perturbed with people's opinions/tastes, but Pulp Fiction, Swingers and When Harry Met Sally and American Psycho bad ? Jesus. Not just "wasn't for me, but I can see why people like it" but flat out bad ??

I can see why some people might not like American Psycho as a film altogether, but it's like Gangs of New York to me...you're watching it for one character, really. You can't front on that movie for his album covering monologues alone.

I harvey's defense he didnt say bad he said not amazing. diff.

but in the context of movie ABOUT NYC, there's a bundle of NYC type yuppie club and restaurant looks that are important to that flick.

U were a Dancer?!!!?!

Naw, they probably just broke out and danced in the Cafeteria. Didn't you???

Electric Boogie - thats it though...