Movies about Los Angeles > Movies about New York

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Miami Vice was a total fraud.

You didn't find Gong Li as the uber Cuban/Chinese Narco-trafficker to be believable?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Looking at IMDB movie ranking by users it's correct.

LOL. "and judging by the Youtube talkbacks under Obama's latest press conference clip...."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm not even sure how one can try to answer this film especially since a lot of the films mentioned are not films ABOUT either city but merely take place there. Not exactly the same thing.

Point I was making earlier...

In any case, the greatest film ever set in NY = Godfather.
    Greatest film ever set in LA = Pulp Fiction.

Too subjective...not just taste, but right down to one's relationship with the cities.

I pretty much hate everything about Pulp Fiction, and would even if it were set in my living room. I would have to say Chinatown or MenaceIISociety for LA.

New York is much more difficult. It can run the gamut from Warhol to Scorcese to Lee to Dog Day Afternoon, Ms.45 and Hair.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'll take Pulp Fiction > Miami Vice.

Dealt.

And I never really got into "Chinatown" that much but maybe that's because neo-noir was always more appealing to me on paper vs. the actual executions on it. There are exceptions: I dig "LA Confidential" which I think was just a really well crafted popcorn movie that didn't necessarily seem like one.

Regardless, I'd give "Chinatown" it's due though. I still don't think it's f*cking with "Godfather 1 and 2" however.

You didn't find Gong Li as the uber Cuban/Chinese Narco-trafficker to be believable?

haha. one of many head scratching plot elements.

but really my biggest issue was just how radical a departure it was from the series, i.e. had nothing to do with it. why not just give it a totally different name? oh yeah, because he wanted to trick people into seeing it. yes mad doggie.

Let's also just get this out of the way:

Best disaster films - LA or NY?

I think the Big Apple has to take this one despite the hearty attempt by "2012" to spectacularly fucked up L.A.

In any case, the greatest film ever set in NY = Godfather Half Baked.
    Greatest film ever set in LA = Pulp Fiction Karate Kid.

Debate/discuss.

Harvey, the Karate Kid took place in the Valley. That's a whole 'nother genre/grouping of movies. Not the same at all as the LA joints.

I was clearly joking on those...but seriously IMO, the best movie ever set in LA (actually Malibu) was Big Wednesday.

But that does actually speak to one of my points in joking about Karate Kid, in that LA to me is more a suburban, outdoor place than an urban, underbelly place.

I guess we all have our own perceptions of LA, but I'm serious that I think there's two distinct sub-genres there.

Valley = Bill & Ted's, Fast Times and countless angst-ridden HS suburban 80's dramas/comedies.

LA = Heat, Chinatown, Pulp Fiction, etc.

There's overlap, but I'm just saying.

but really my biggest issue was just how radical a departure it was from the series, i.e. had nothing to do with it. why not just give it a totally different name? oh yeah, because he wanted to trick people into seeing it. yes mad doggie.

Meh, I don't care about it's departure. I just wish Mann had used some more f*cking lights in the film.

I'll take Pulp Fiction > Miami Vice.

Dealt.

And I never really got into "Chinatown" that much but maybe that's because neo-noir was always more appealing to me on paper vs. the actual executions on it. There are exceptions: I dig "LA Confidential" which I think was just a really well crafted popcorn movie that didn't necessarily seem like one.

Regardless, I'd give "Chinatown" it's due though. I still don't think it's f*cking with "Godfather 1 and 2" however.

SMH. are you comparing PF with the Miami Vice *series*? Apples and oranges.

Meh, I don't care about it's departure. I just wish Mann had used some more f*cking lights in the film.

I realize my gripe with that film is sorta personal, i.e. I am fan of the series, and, having been burned by Collateral and Ali, only went to see MV because I expected a return to his Mann's old self....only to find it had nothing to do with the series.

I agree it was very dark.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As big as Shaft and Superfly are to the Blaxploitation genre the reall meat of the genre is in Cali. But im not sure if they were filmed in LA so i dont know if one could factor that shit in.

and I ride hard for FOXES.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is just embarrassing, dude.

As big as Shaft and Superfly are to the Blaxploitation genre the reall meat of the genre is in Cali. But im not sure if they were filmed in LA so i dont know if one could factor that shit in.

and I ride hard for FOXES.

the Mack was set in Oakland; not sure where it was actually filmed.

apparently you're threatened by pink shirts. I'm secure enough to see beyond the costumes. it's one of the most entertaining cop shows ever. Tubbs was one of my favorite TV characters ever. rent the series; it's out on DVD.

of course I can't expect you to focus on the actual point I was making, which was that Mann traded on the name of a pretty ground-breaking show to sell an unrelated run-of-the-mill shoot 'em up. I found that to be sorta cynical.

toodles.

NO. A Mann interpolation is even worse....

The OG is groundbraking TV - str8 up and down.

That Bruce Willis villian episode where Crocket rides to In The Air Tonight changed the game.

But uh..F*ck Miami rite now.

That Bruce Willis villian episode where Crocket rides to In The Air Tonight changed the game.

LOLOLOLOL

BATMONTALK

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Couple more votes for LA/Cali:

Point Break

Swingers

hate now.

Swingers

recently revisited. did it hold up? of course not; I was a college freshman when I first saw it. that said, it still has some very classic LA scenery/atmosphere.

and the 101 Coffee Shop (scene of the last scene with Vince Vaughn and the baby and mother) is still one of my favorite breakfast spots in HWood.

LOLOLOLOL

BATMONTALK

Miami Vice was the first show to really work their steez like a music video.

It was a str8 up embrace of the MTV Generation style of viewing.

LOLOLOLOL

BATMONTALK

among other innovations. like I said the current crop of cop shows (and certainly the 90's ones) owe a huge debt to MV.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Let's talk real.

Escape from New York SHITS over Escape from L.A. a million times over.

And where is the strut on early Hip Hop films? Breakin' VS Wild Style. Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo VS Beat Street.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

LOLOLOLOL

BATMONTALK

That schitt was pretty incredible.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Swingers

recently revisited. did it hold up?

Hold up to what? It sucked to begin with.

Escape from New York SHITS over Escape from L.A. a million times over.

I can't imagine any sane individual arguing with this.

The first was a classique, the 2nd an embarrassment

Swingers

recently revisited. did it hold up?

Hold up to what? It sucked to begin with.

okay I admit it was always sorta sucky. when I was a kid it had at least a few funny moments. but yeah, it's no good. that said, it does have some LA atmospherics down pretty good.

Swingers is fun for what it is. Stop the hatt.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Rumble In The Bronx is filmed in Vancouver.

The amount of movies filmed in Toronto & Vancouver which are suppose to take place in NYC (Or any other American city) is a pretty big list.

Yep...Especially in the mid-to-late 70s: Tax shelter related.

These types of coastal debates are skewed from the get-go since everyone has their own regional biases, no matter how good or bad a movie/rapper/whatever is.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    To Live and Die in L.A. >>>>>>>>> Heat

dealth.

also, Miami Vice, while a fun popcorn movie, is hardly an unacknowledged "classique" ...
    ... I mean, Colin Farrell's laughable performance alone holds that movie down from any classic status.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

crazy! i was on the verge of writing the exact same shit. to live and die in L.A. is a great 80's movie.

Agreed