Movies about Los Angeles > Movies about New York

Comments

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Nobody mentioned After Hours or King of Comedy yet? Both are minor classics in my book.
    What about Mikey & Nicky vs. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie? Tough call there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

someone who thinks Mann's Miami Vice film is an under-recognized classic.

!!!!!!
    Thank You!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Sorry dude, I totally dig what you're saying, and being an LA native I'd love to side with you. But check the arguments there. There are just some things that are too classic. I love the LA films you've listed below, but you almost prove your NY list just ethers your LA list...

Collectively, I think movies about LA are better than movies about NY. Discuss.

Good movies about LA (in which LA plays a prominent role or is critical to the movie)

- LA Confidential
    - Heat
    - Chinatown
    - Boyz in the Hood
    - Training Day
    - L.A. Story
    - Magnolia
    - Beverly Hills Cop

Good movies about LA

- Taxi Driver
    - Manhattan[/b]
    - Escape from New York
    - Do the Right Thing[/b]
    - Wall Street[/b]
    - The Godfather[/b]
    - French Connection
    - Big
    - Saturday Night Fever[/b]

BTW, it took a lot of self-conrol to not bold "Big" as well. Josh Baskin = thug life.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

someone who thinks Mann's Miami Vice film is an under-recognized classic.

!!!!!!
    Thank You!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Sucks. Real talk.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sucks. Real talk.

What?

This movie is great.

BAN

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Miami Vice was a great popcorn flick -- corny at times but solid.

And lest us not forget Spike Lee's venturing into genre land with Inside Man. 25th Hour anyone?

Didn't Quentin Tarantino direct a couple movies about L.A.?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Sucks. Real talk.

What?

This movie is great.

BAN

I pretty much can't stand Cassavetes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I guess it's a thin line between movies about a city and movies set in a city...while Scorcese is a New York director through and through, could King of Comedy have been set in another major city and still worked? I am asking in seriousness. I love that movie and have never looked at it that way til now.

I would ask the same of Magnolia.

Never mind the situations, but is it that the characters in these two movies are personifications of those cities and can only be from there?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't think King of Comedy could have been set any where else, just because at that point in time the late-night talk shows was one of the few places where a career in comedy could be launched, and folks from all over the place flocked to them like magnets. It was before cable TV really took off and wasn't it also before stand-up comedy clubs came in vogue?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rumble In The Bronx is filmed in Vancouver.

Nothin is fuskin w/ THE WARRIORS.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I'm glad SOMEBODY said it.

And yeah, LA movies are dope but come on nothing is f*cking with that real NY shit on the movie tip.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    I don't think King of Comedy could have been set any where else, just because at that point in time the late-night talk shows was one of the few places where a career in comedy could be launched, and folks from all over the place flocked to them like magnets. It was before cable TV really took off and wasn't it also before stand-up comedy clubs came in vogue?

Not to mention, I think, how important the idea of isolation and loneliness in the urban setting is so central to the film. I think that, in the mind of a lot of people in North America, New York probably epitomizes the hostile big city, thus making it pretty much the perfect setting. In that sense, it could have been set somewhere other than NYC, but I don't think that it would have had as much resonance.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I'm glad SOMEBODY said it.

And yeah, LA movies are dope but come on nothing is f*cking with that real NY shit on the movie tip.

Shit that comes to mind

Panic In Needle Park
    Downtown 81
    Annie Hall
    The Wiz
    King Kong OG version
    Glitter...

LA Flicks that come to mind

Two Days In The Valley
    Cool Blue

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Annie Hall goes the extra mile by going to LA just to clown it.

I actually have to side with NYC on this one...

Once Upon a Time in America
    A Bronx Tale
    The Wanderers
    Gangs of New York

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

As for being the "pinnacle of the crime thriller genre," that statement is laughably false.

See Huston's "Asphalt Jungle" or Kubrick's "The Killing" for examples of crime
    thrillers that schitt on "Heat" from dizzying heights.

I am certainly no expert on the genre, and my statement was overly hyperbolic for sure. It's just weird how polarizing any discussion about "Heat" is - I know there's other SS threads devoted on the subject on why it's great/why it sucks -- so won't get into that here.

Y'all dudes just hate the genius that is Michael Mann.

I don't hate it--I just think it drags on for about an hour longer than necessary. I'm mystified by people who ride so hard for it.

And this is coming form someone who thinks Mann's Miami Vice film is an under-recognized classic.

Miami Vice was a total fraud. I'm a fan of the series. (Yes it's silly. But it's great in its own way and is a fun whos-who of later Hollywood stars in their early years. And later cop shows from the 90's to the present nearly ALL owe a debt to this series).

But the movie had nothing whatsoever to do with the series. The characters had the same names. That was it. No matching backstories; no matching character traits, nothing. They were cops in Miami with the same names. That's it. I was basically tricked into seeing a movie totally unrelated to the series that happened to have the same name. And it wasn't even that great as a stand-alone cop movie (not horrible, but unremarkable IMO).

Heat has some iconic LA shots; the best I've seen in a movie. Chinatown and LA Confidential capture the 20's LA noir thing very well, but Heat is the modern equivalent. Training Day was sorta silly as a movie, but also had some great LA shots.

Mann has been sliding downhill since the Heat era, like big-time. Last of the Mohicans, Heat and Insider >> Ali >> Collateral >> Vice = Public Enemies...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I might need to revisit it (only saw the movie when I was a young teen) but the fact that L.A. Story is included in the list pretty much deads the argument.

You NEED to revisit it!! LA Story is one of my favorite comedies of all time, but then again I don't fit the typical Soulstrut hipster model towards entertainment... i.e. I can laugh at dumb things.

so which Fuqua was better -- LA or NY?

I just saw BK's Finest and thought it was pretty bad. Both Training Day and BK's were over-the-top in their action scenes and in the total improbability of their plots, but at least TD had the cool LA locations and a more focused story (TD focused on the relationship btwn Denzel and Hawke, vs. BK's Finest which was a rudderless amalgam of Hawke/Gere/Snipes/Cheadle and a million other semi-unrelated/related clusterfucking story lines going on).

Fanboys of the Wire (myself included) will appreciate Omar and Wee-Bey appearances in BK's Finest, but TD had Dre and Snoop, so advantage TD...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

The amount of movies filmed in Toronto & Vancouver which are suppose to take place in NYC (Or any other American city) is a pretty big list.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not even sure how one can try to answer this film especially since a lot of the films mentioned are not films ABOUT either city but merely take place there. Not exactly the same thing.

And if we're going on that criteria, I think films where NY is an inherent part of the film's identity and character are likely to trump LA if only because the cinematic vision of LA so easily veers into the superficial (because people think of LA as superficial).

In any case, the greatest film ever set in NY = Godfather.
    Greatest film ever set in LA = Pulp Fiction.

Debate/discuss.

The amount of movies filmed in Toronto & Vancouver which are suppose to take place in NYC (Or any other American city) is a pretty big list.

The R in the B example is esp funny though because there are some embarrassing/obvious shots with snow-covered mountains in the background, etc.

very probably.

please be serious? you rate PF over Chinatown? (Im not even saying Chinatown is GOAT LA movie, just the first obv-better-than-PF flick that comes to mind....

As for being the "pinnacle of the crime thriller genre," that statement is laughably false.

See Huston's "Asphalt Jungle" or Kubrick's "The Killing" for examples of crime
    thrillers that schitt on "Heat" from dizzying heights.

I am certainly no expert on the genre, and my statement was overly hyperbolic for sure. It's just weird how polarizing any discussion about "Heat" is - I know there's other SS threads devoted on the subject on why it's great/why it sucks -- so won't get into that here.

Y'all dudes just hate the genius that is Michael Mann.

I don't hate it--I just think it drags on for about an hour longer than necessary. I'm mystified by people who ride so hard for it.

And this is coming form someone who thinks Mann's Miami Vice film is an under-recognized classic.

Miami Vice was a total fraud. I'm a fan of the series. (Yes it's silly. But it's great in its own way and is a fun whos-who of later Hollywood stars in their early years. And later cop shows from the 90's to the present nearly ALL owe a debt to this series).

But the movie had nothing whatsoever to do with the series. The characters had the same names. That was it. No matching backstories; no matching character traits, nothing. They were cops in Miami with the same names. That's it. I was basically tricked into seeing a movie totally unrelated to the series that happened to have the same name. And it wasn't even that great as a stand-alone cop movie (not horrible, but unremarkable IMO).

I don't think I would have cared for it if it resembled the TV series, which I find unwatchable.

I'm not even sure how one can try to answer this film especially since a lot of the films mentioned are not films ABOUT either city but merely take place there. Not exactly the same thing.

And if we're going on that criteria, I think films where NY is an inherent part of the film's identity and character are likely to trump LA if only because the cinematic vision of LA so easily veers into the superficial (because people think of LA as superficial).

Debate/discuss.

Pulp Fiction, while influential, isn't actually that good.

In any case, the greatest film ever set in NY = Godfather Half Baked.
    Greatest film ever set in LA = Pulp Fiction Karate Kid.

Debate/discuss.

Debate/discuss.

Harvey, the Karate Kid took place in the Valley. That's a whole 'nother genre/grouping of movies. Not the same at all as the LA joints.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Debate/discuss.

I never thought that Pulp Fiction was distinctly LA.

b/w

Plaese to rep your local Gimp experience.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

very probably.

please be serious? you rate PF over Chinatown? (Im not even saying Chinatown is GOAT LA movie, just the first obv-better-than-PF flick that comes to mind....

Looking at IMDB movie ranking by users it's correct.

Not that I agree. Just saying.

Debate/discuss.

Harvey, the Karate Kid took place in the Valley. That's a whole 'nother genre/grouping of movies. Not the same at all as the LA joints.

I was clearly joking on those...but seriously IMO, the best movie ever set in LA (actually Malibu) was Big Wednesday.

But that does actually speak to one of my points in joking about Karate Kid, in that LA to me is more a suburban, outdoor place than an urban, underbelly place.