AppleCare on eBay.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Anybody buy it from eBay and if so, can you recommend a reputable seller?From the research I've done (Google!) it appears that you can get a LEGIT deal at a killer price, but as with everything else, there are some shady dealers out there. I'm a few weeks away from my first year of owning it, so I have to act fast. There are some decent deals between $150 and $220 on eBay right now, which is awesome considering it's $350 from Apple.eBay put out this warning which is an excellent resource, but I'm hoping for some firsthand Strutter experience.Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Bump for the daytime posters.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i bought mine from apple using the 'student' discount. i think it was $160 or so with free shipping for the macbook applecare. hope that helps.

• If you buy it from eBay make sure that you aren't getting scammed.

Basically, ebay sellers have cracked the AppleCare serial # format. They sell you a code that will work when you enter it to register, but it was never really bought.

Apparently, this might go unnoticed until a made-up code overlaps with a code actually purchased from Apple.

So, NEVER buy apple care from someone who says they will just send the code by email without the actual Apple Care box.

There is no reason they wouldn't be able to send you the box if you offer to pay for it to be sent.

It is basically the ultimate scam. There is no money they need to layout upfront, they don't need to pay for or go through the hassle of shipping a physical product, and the code actually seems to work when the customer puts it in. It isn't until months later that the error gets noticed by Apple, and the buyer wouldn't even notice it then unless he actually had to make a warranty claim. By that time the seller is long gone, and the buyer's credit card chargeback period is expired.

All the above being said, however, there is legit AppleCare resellers on eBay. You might want to check out Amazon.com, as I have heard that they are cheaper than from Apple but 100% legit and hassle free.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

All the above being said, however, there is legit AppleCare resellers on eBay. You might want to check out Amazon.com, as I have heard that they are cheaper than from Apple but 100% legit and hassle free.

This is what I'm looking for, a referral to a legit AppleCare seller on eBay. Amazon is just under $300, which is a better deal than Apple's $350, but I'm looking/hoping for an even BETTER deal.