Melodiya Records

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Can someone school me on Melodiya releases? Are there certain holy grails, and are record collectors checkin for this stuff at all? I might be comin into alot of Melodya releases soon. Any help/resources appreciatedthanks

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i always buy their records if they are cheap, which more often than not they are, it must be a huge catalog though. I think sheep spent some time in the USSR and has a fairly good idea of some of the bigger items (there are definitely a few big tick items, i only know a few by cover though)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    yeah, there's some stuff out there... I'm trying to work with Melodiya right now to reissue some stuff cuz a trio of people in LA - Gasface Killer, DJ Expo and Egon kinda started putting out stuff without permission or clearance and I don't think they are happy over in the former U.S.S.R...

There's so much to go with, I ain't gunna post up the grails, but suggest that if you are going to come up on a stack of Melodiya stuff, try figure out what you like musically instead of trying to find the RAERZ... there is a lot of good music from that side of the world...

peace.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    FelMelba has a great collection.

I keep pulling melodia 10" kids records. some of the covers are amazing.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Gasface Killer

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    yeah, there's some stuff out there... I'm trying to work with Melodiya right now to reissue some stuff cuz a trio of people in LA - Gasface Killer, DJ Expo and Egon kinda started putting out stuff without permission or clearance and I don't think they are happy over in the former U.S.S.R...

Details, plz

• Priima over on verygoodplus.co.uk is a very knowlegable dude about all that USSR / Estonian muck

here's his blog: http://heliplaadistuudio.blogspot.com/

nice bloke too.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    for some reason all russian records has dissapeared off the streets of copenhagen, havent pulled a melodia record for a looong time...

• Romance For Lovers is considered a holy grail. There is also that Gunshot Orchestra one that goes for some loot. just do what sheep said.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Romance For Lovers is considered a holy grail.

Really? But there's been dozens of copies of this for sale. How is it a "grail" if there's that many copies in circulation?

• Romance For Lovers is considered a holy grail.

Really? But there's been dozens of copies of this for sale. How is it a "grail" if there's that many copies in circulation?
    i meant to say its a grail to some. he could sale it and make some loot, but honestly, I agree it ain't truly a grail.

• Almost every melodiya record I have found has been totally unlistenable. However, Vladimir Vysotsky has some pretty funky and psychedelic records. If you find any of the ones that have a black and white cover of his face, definitely grab those up. Even if they end up not being your thing, you could definitely flip them, I saw his records go for loot a few times last year.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I mean there is some cool stuff and it tends to go for decent money but musically I still haven't heard anything on the label that really grabs me at all. Prove me wrong though Sheep!

b/w

Didn't Soulstrut JUST learn not to mess with Russia?

• I got mad Vysotsky records passed down to me from extended family already. got a few that are remotely funky, but certainly nothin psychedelic, but id love to hear some freakout Vysotsky - i think id lose my shit..
    Im just in the dark on Melodiya here - i might have a good 100-150 LPs comin in, wouldnt mind makin a few bucks considerin doubles are almost a surety.. anyways, thanks for the resources dudes.