The definitive Curtis Mayfield related discography

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Looking for any and all Curtis related releases. So I got the Impressions/solo stuff already, the complete Curtom, Windy C and Mayfield labels as well. What else is out there to complete his producer related run? One offs, pre-Abner impressions stuff?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Here are a couple of one-off productions:

There was a non-LP single on the Fontana label by Oscar Brown, Jr., "Brother Where Are You"/"Burning Fire." These are both studio recordings - "Brother" is not to be confused with the live version from Mr. Oscar Brown, Jr. Goes To Washington.

There was also single by jazz guitarist Larry Frazier on the Impulse label, "Before Six"/"After Six." I don't think there was an album behind this (which is odd for a jazz release).

As far as pre-Abner Impressions...they were on Bandera before they got to Abner/VJ. One single: "Listen"/"Shorty's Got To Go." There was a third song, "Pretty Betty," that I don't think was released until way later. It sounds like an acapella demo. All three were issued on the JSP label in the UK in the eighties on an EP, as well as a sixties LP on a budget label called Design that had some generic title like Jerry Butler & the Impressions With Betty Everett (most of this album is fleshed out with Betty Everett songs).

• There's the New World "We're Gonna Make It" 45. Balleur-related

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Lots of stuff on the Thomas label.

Sophisticated Ladies on Mayhew.

Patti Jo on Scepter.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Lots of stuff on the Thomas label.

Yeah, I forgot about that Amazers 45. What else is there?

• docfishdocfish 43 Posts
    Gloria Bouschell "Hold On" on Mercury is C.M. witten, if memory strikes me righ

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Notations-Superpeople on Gemigo is Curtis produced right?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Gemigo and Thomas were both Mayfield-owned, too, IIRC.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Okeh stuff too obvious?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Okeh stuff too obvious?

This is the exact stuff I was thinking of. Anyone got the Thomas titles he was involved with? Have we confirmed that he had ownership in Gemigo and Thomas (not that I am doubting you Pickwick).