Reggae soul recommendations

2»

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Goddamn that is

Anyone got an mp3 of this. I haven't found one on the interwebs.

ain't it though? better than the original imo. give me a few days and i'll pm you the mp3. and to that guy wanted the "sound of silence" mp3, i ain't forgot about you... hold tight.

That's saying a lot given that Cooke's version is one of his greatest jams. but it's right there for sure.

b/w

Can't wait dude.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Short answer: it's all soulful.

Short answer that you're actually looking for:

^What I'm talmbout.

And thanks for the Beres Hammond rec. I'm previewing "Soul Reggae" by him now. Seemed as good a place to start as any.

Odub, if you're not up on Slim his whole catalog is stellar, includign his work with the Techniques and Uniques as well.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

^What I'm talmbout.

And thanks for the Beres Hammond rec. I'm previewing "Soul Reggae" by him now. Seemed as good a place to start as any.

Odub, if you're not up on Slim his whole catalog is stellar, includign his work with the Techniques and Uniques as well.

yeah, "Gypsy Woman" is killer...grab a copy of "the late great slim smith"

• minimini 879 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Not really a Reggae head and guess this is more soul done by a reggae artist than reggae soul but it's so good had to post it anyway.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    oh and cpeetz!

Hey broseph! What's good!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Are all three of his first albums pretty solid?

Everybody Needs Love
    Just A Dream
    Memorial

Pico: Thanks for all the recs. My favorite out of that batch was the Winston Gruvy cover of Sam Cooke. Nice!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I always liked how both tracks used the same music bed. I think they're both brilliant.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'm one of those people who don't listen to much reggae outside of a soul context. It's a little shallow, but my taste for soul music outweighs that for strict reggae. That said, I love these threads. Don't sleep on some of the instros...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• minimini 879 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    in Toronto? drop by 584 Lansdowne tonight - Parkdale Funk and I will be playing this kind of sweetness and fire for you.