SXSW Log

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Picked up my wristband from the Convention Center yesterday. First time I've gotten an artist wristband instead of a press badge. Officially, I'm listed as a percussionist for the rap group COD. The music conference doesn't technically start until today, but last night I went out for a warm-up. 6th Street was already bustling by 9 o'clock when I got out there. First band I saw was a Danish alternative rock outfit called The Kissaway Trail at The Parish. They were alright and might wind up being the only newer rock band I'll see all week-long. Went over to Creekside Lounge from there, ran into Richard Henry who had a dude out from New Jersey as part of the Mad Decent crew manning the decks with a Baltimore-styled set. Shit got fun when the B-Boy City dancers rolled through and I wound up sticking with them the rest of the night as we moved from Creekside to Lanai to Lucky Lounge to Red Fez. Ran into J. Boogie towards the end of the night and he'll be deejaying a crawfish boil I'm going to this afternoon.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you vguys should grab free poutine and check out iraqi rapper
    narcicyst
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=296019257683

radioradio is gawdawful though

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Never had poutine before, might have to check that out. Funny how my priorities go free food, free drinks, then free music...gotta love SXSW.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    the cheap trick show will be fun. i remember seeing them on your list, where are they playing again?

Taking my daughter with me to see them at Auditorium Shores on Friday night. Before then, Cheap Trick is also doing a formal ACL taping and also a public interview as a SXSW panel.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One of the best things about SXSW is seeing bands from back in the day that you wouldn't normally get to see, especially in somewhat intimate settings. I remember seeing X a few years ago in the backyard at Stubbs and that shit was fantastic.

Some dude in my office just heated up some gumbo in the microwave and it smells enough like a crawfish boil that I'm just chomping at the bit to get out of here. I could be sitting in at that Cheap Trick interview and/or be getting a free massage in the artist lounge at the Convention Center...but no, I've got some pointless meeting in a bit that's keeping me here.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i remember seeing serg pee on congress ave in front of people.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The film fest has been the most crowded yet. Even with the badge you need to line up for Alamo screenings 45+ mins in advance to guarantee a seat. Maybe that'll change now that the music portion kicks in. Last night at the awards ceremony several filmmakers were unable to accept their awards because they couldn't get a seat.

That said, I've seen some great films. Thunder Soul was very well done. Oh, and Little City does indeed have fine coffee.

Ooooh-weeeeee, what a first day of the conference! Left work at 3:30 and went straight to the crawfish boil on South Lamar. Second Line Social was spinning the best goshdarned NOLA 45 set; J Boogie came through with his usual dopeness, and Papa Chop killed it with the crawfish. I drank way too much keg beer, met some really nice new folks...and then it was off to the Jump On It event on the Eastside of town that had Chalie Boy headlining a concert in a jam-packed-with-teenagers skating rink. By the time I got there, the concert had ended, said my hello's and then it was off to downtown. Decided to see my homegirl Rochelle Terrell perform instead of heading over to check out Curren$y...and then hooked up with my partners from the Guud for their lil set down the street. From there, thought I would go see Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings at Stub's but when I got there the line was far too long for me to mess with. Went to Antone's to see ChocQuib Town from Columbia...and they really brought it. Got caught up for a coupla hours from there with a friend without a wristband, so had a bit of a lull from official SXSW business. But I eventually cut myself free in time to catch Trae and Paul Wall & Chamillionaire at La Zona Rosa. It was like a full blown gangsta party up in there. Personally, I thought the music was kinda lacking. At least noone was rapping over their own pre-recorded vocals, so that was at least a step in the right direction. But yeah soundman, turn that shit up please...this isn't quiet time. And oh yeah, not only was it cool to see Killer Mike hanging with the local homies like he was one of us...but it was also great to hear that K-Paul of VIP came home from prison just yesterday. A great day in Austin indeed!

Today, I pick Kirby Dominant up from the airport at 3:40 and then it's on all over again.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Second Line Social was spinning the best goshdarned NOLA 45 set

One of the best mixes I've ever grabbed from here is, I think, by Second Line Social; no tracklist, mp3 subtitled "Gaelin Gladstone's album", and it's an amazing selection of soul 45s. Is this the same guy? There's a track on this mix that I'd piss a gallstone for, but I don't even know what it is. Sounds like something the RZA would sample, but with some heart-rending male vocals. Unfuckwitable.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

this is hilarious.

is this a random guy or an artist playing there?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's Cisco Adler.

Second Line Social was spinning the best goshdarned NOLA 45 set

One of the best mixes I've ever grabbed from here is, I think, by Second Line Social; no tracklist, mp3 subtitled "Gaelin Gladstone's album", and it's an amazing selection of soul 45s. Is this the same guy? There's a track on this mix that I'd piss a gallstone for, but I don't even know what it is. Sounds like something the RZA would sample, but with some heart-rending male vocals. Unfuckwitable.

D'oh, just checked and it was by One Way Local.

I'll get back on here later (maybe tomorrow) with more pics and ish, but can't wait to say how off the chain bananas it was at Club DeVille last night. If a full Dogg Pound set wasn't enough, then Bone Thugs N Harmony doing a set in the middle of DJ Quik's headlining set pushed the whole night right over the shoulder.

From Thursday night...

Gerald G & Monsta Entertainment

That's Ryno second from the left

The homies...

Systema Solar

Ocote Soul Sounds

Saturday night, when DJ Quik brought Bone Thugs to the stage, it couldn't have been cooler that they had my ATX homegirl Rochelle singing back-up. Big moment for her...

Gotta get some new batteries for my camera before I can upload pics of Cheap Trick, Wiz Khalifa, Freeway, and the Dogg Pound. Man, what a week!

Only out-of-town strutters I saw were Serg & Stef (at Gerald G's showcase!) and Rich (during the 6 minutes I was at the Record Convention)...and oh yeah, Jake (on stage at Emo's).

Had these 2 scrappy white rappers (Dubb Sicks and Cadillac Ron) I was with for about 10 minutes running in between venues get into a 2-on-2 brawl with these hipster dudes, one who was really holding his own quite well. I had to pass on jumping in.

Not only happened upon the best late night carnitas tacos I've ever had at this stand over on Navasota on Thursday night, but found this late night chicken and waffles stand on Saturday night where they make fried chicken tacos with the waffle as the tortilla. Aside from the chicken, mine had swiss cheese, bacon, and many splashes of Crystal on it...so delicious!

• What number is it?

What number is it?

Umm, not sure. Will have to check. The track I'm thinking of comes in at about 42 mins, and like I said, all of the sounds, inflections, the pace even, sounds like something RZA has either sampled heavily or would aim to replicate.
    There's also a killer track with a female vocalist and a strong piano accompaniment that I'd consider a highlight of the mix.

I'll check when I get home.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    some pictures from the Austin Record Convention...

the future of digging

various walls

Jeff Williams is SUPER HOT!

Moobs

jake one

some people at the show

there seemed to be more girls digging for records at this show. hopefully these pics don't come off as creepy, I just wanted to document that fact.

SXSW 6th Street randomness

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Jeff Williams is SUPER HOT!

Ha!! That sign is worth the price of (early) admission.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Ha!! That sign is worth the price of (early) admission.

The addition of a the little pink penis was an added bonus. Plus it was backed with the "I've got 12 inches" sign of the dealer behind him. I was told Jeff got hit on at least 3 times by different guys. LOL

Wiz Khalifa's dj...

Wiz Khalifa...

Freeway...

Dogg Pound...