TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Johnson gave a speech at our AGM a couple of years back and was cracking jokes about his youth, and was giving it the large about his love of music and what have you. I think the Who was mentioned at one point. He came off very well.

My dad also had him as his union rep years back at the Post Office and said he is a decent, honest man.

Much rather him than Milliband The Elder

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    England's 30-man provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Pretty much what was expected, really - no real surprises. I can't believe some pundits had seriously begun to float the idea that Owen Hargreaves would make the cut, although if he were fit...

No love for Zamora. Watch him get a sackful on Wednesday.

Barry is injured, so Hargreaves for the next friendly seemed like a good idea. Joe Cole? Looked alright at the weekend, but only alright. Darren Bent has never convinced me or Rednapp's granny - surprise #1 for me. Carragher & Terry will have some stories to share (#1 and a half). Upson, pfft, Campbell would be better.

[through gritted teeth] Good to see Tottenham players making the cut. King is awesome when fit, Dawson is usually healthy, Lennon is great, and I've been a fan of Huddlestone for a few seasons... and Scott Parker[/b] Skel! Surely there's surprise #3.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Been killing some time sifting through the England World Cup song attempts on youtube.

Amateur original material only, a bit like Readers Wives, but in footballing song form.

-

This one's a favourite with the young'uns. It's got auto tune & teh raps. Kinda like Lil Wayne meets Marvin The Paranoid Android.

rating: Two lions

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Pretty much what was expected, really - no real surprises. I can't believe some pundits had seriously begun to float the idea that Owen Hargreaves would make the cut, although if he were fit...

Barry is injured, so Hargreaves for the next friendly seemed like a good idea. Joe Cole? Looked alright at the weekend, but only alright. Darren Bent has never convinced me or Rednapp's granny - surprise #1 for me. Carragher & Terry will have some stories to share (#1 and a half). Upson, pfft, Campbell would be better.

[through gritted teeth] Good to see Tottenham players making the cut. King is awesome when fit, Dawson is usually healthy, Lennon is great, and I've been a fan of Huddlestone for a few seasons... and Scott Parker[/b] Skel! Surely there's surprise #3.

Dude according to the Capellometer Joey Cole was the third best midfielder in the country when it was tested on the top 6

EDIT: It Must True

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jamie Carragher?

SMH doesn't even come close to describing the vigorous neck work out I am currently performing.

Put yer eye back in.

Carra may be somewhat uncultured by Serie A standards, for example, but his season-on-season consistency for Liverpool has only been called into question during this campaign because a) either he's had to carry the entire back four in some games (away to WHU springs to mind), or b) he's been played out of position. On the whole, he is a hard-working and committed centre-back and he deserves to be there on merit.

I will concede there was something of the "toys-out-of-pram" about his comments following his international retirement, but if you were playing the best football of your career, only to be passed over time and again in favour of a couple of Sicknotes, wouldn't you be a teeny bit resentful? And yes, I accept that a fully-fit Ferdinand, King or Woodgate are better centre-backs than Carra, but how often were the latter pair fully fit when they were selected ahead of him (clue: not very often)? One of England's major failings in recent international tournaments has been managers picking Big Name crocks in the hope they'd be fit in time for Euro/WC-whatever, only to find themselves staring at a threadbare squad, any kind of Plan B conspicuous by its absence, when aforesaid "England Expects" Golden Child falls off his wallet at the training camp. Again.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Bootle's Finest should be an automatic first choice CB, but as a back-up goes, he's as solid as they come.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

"Good to see Tottenham players making the cut"

"I've been a fan of Huddlestone for a few seasons"

Green
    Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Lennon Barry Lampard Gerard
    Rooney Heskey

If our big players don't show up, it looks like we're going for the 'most boring, uncreative side in the tournament' award again.

Gritted teeth Moke, gritted[/b] teeth.

Arsenal fan, yes.

England fan... even more so (as in, been through the wringer with them for much longer, more despair invested in them, and more hope that one day we'll see the best players represent the country as opposed to the usual knob-ends that seem to get picked on the basis of how well they can handle themselves should it kick off down China Whites)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Jamie Carragher?

SMH doesn't even come close to describing the vigorous neck work out I am currently performing.

Put yer eye back in.

Carra may be somewhat uncultured by Serie A standards, for example, but his season-on-season consistency for Liverpool has only been called into question during this campaign because a) either he's had to carry the entire back four in some games (away to WHU springs to mind), or b) he's been played out of position. On the whole, he is a hard-working and committed centre-back and he deserves to be there on merit.

I will concede there was something of the "toys-out-of-pram" about his comments following his international retirement, but if you were playing the best football of your career, only to be passed over time and again in favour of a couple of Sicknotes, wouldn't you be a teeny bit resentful? And yes, I accept that a fully-fit Ferdinand, King or Woodgate are better centre-backs than Carra, but how often were the latter pair fully fit when they were selected ahead of him (clue: not very often)? One of England's major failings in recent international tournaments has been managers picking Big Name crocks in the hope they'd be fit in time for Euro/WC-whatever, only to find themselves staring at a threadbare squad, any kind of Plan B conspicuous by its absence, when aforesaid "England Expects" Golden Child falls off his wallet at the training camp. Again.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Bootle's Finest should be an automatic first choice CB, but as a back-up goes, he's as solid as they come.

Yeah don't get me wrong, over the years I've rated him as a decent CB. *Bitter* Apart from a tendency to commit should-have-been-a-penalty tackles in the box *Bitter* he's always been a solid go to man. However he's had a pretty woeful season all in all.
    I'll concede that the best central defenders in the world are going to struggle with Maschereno at right back but it seems a bit of a damning commentary that we're being forced to butter up a slightly past his best guy who resigned from international duty in a strop to shore up our back four.

In fact the entire defensive line up for the WC fills me full of dread. Collection of injured and out of form muppets.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'd want to see Lennon get a regular place in the first 11, over Walcott.

But Tom Huddlestone doe! Really? A fan!? That's like saying you have favourite plank of wood.

I keed.

What's up with Michael Carrick ManPoo supporters? He's hardly played this season. I hear rumours he's on his way out. speak on it, please.

I'd want to see Lennon get a regular place in the first 11, over Walcott.

But Tom Huddlestone doe! Really? A fan!?

He was one of the England U21 better players a season back, has a great passing range, and unlike Carrick, he can put himself into a challenge when he needs to. Thought Huddlestone played very well against us actually.

What's up with Michael Carrick ManPoo supporters? He's hardly played this season.

^^^ why Capello has picked Huddlestone.

Out of that squad choice, I'd like to see something like

James
    Johnson King Ferdinand A.Cole
    Huddlestone
    Lennon Rooney Milner A.Johnson
    Crouch

They might get tonked, but as you mentioned, would make a change from the predictably stodgy Lampard/Barry/Gerrard option with Rooney upfront, isolated from play, and extremely annoyed at the lack of service. Personally think Rooney's too good to waste that far up the pitch anyway - everything should go through him in the centre of the park.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Arguably his penalty miss against Burnley cost United the title plus his shockers against Bayern over both legs cost them big in the CL.

Saying that I always liked the guy prior to this season, he joined and was playing when United started winning shit again.

However, the Italian press lauding him as 'un magnifico Carrick' does seem like a very distant memory.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

James
    Huddlestone
    Crouch

That's an interesting line up but looks lacking in strength in the middle of the pitch? You've basically got four players across the middle who love pushing forward along with a right back who sometimes forgets he's not a winger. I would have to pity poor Huddlestone in that line up.
    Like the idea of switching it up but I would lean towards having at least one stand on the ball guy in the middle and push Rooney further up so he doesn't start trying to run the length of the pitch for every ball again.

James
    Huddlestone
    Crouch

That's an interesting line up but looks lacking in strength in the middle of the pitch? You've basically got four players across the middle who love pushing forward along with a right back who sometimes forgets he's not a winger. I would have to pity poor Huddlestone in that line up.
    Like the idea of switching it up but I would lean towards having at least one stand on the ball guy in the middle and push Rooney further up so he doesn't start trying to run the length of the pitch for every ball again.

Having witnessed Rooney play all over the pitch in the 2008/09 season, the guy will fit in and graft where-ever he's needed. I think he should be given licence to roam, as he can be counted on to destroy as much as create. Same with Milner & Huddlestone - they both are more than capable of defensive work, more than Lamps & Barry imo. It doesn't look very defensive, but Hud, Milner & Rooney in the middle of the park would offer dynamism that Barry/Lamps/Gerrard seem to have either forgotten about or were never capable of (in Barry+Lamps case).

Huddlestone seems to do a good job of sitting deep, linking up with Modric for the short-passing play (as, unlike most English players, his first touch is silky soft), and pinging it wide when needed. If Milner was ordered to stay put whenever Rooney joins the attack, we'd be safe, although with Milner's running, he could probably do a bit of both without breaking a sweat.

RB is a problem though. Carra? Gerrard had a great game there once.
    Not sure about Crouch on his own up front either, which is why it would be nice to see if Zamora 'works' or not (i.e. Heskey role but with added goal threat).

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You gents overthink this stuff waaaaaay too much.

Here's what Capello should do.

Capello: "Rooney.....you pick 10 players. Now go out a GET FUCKIN' STUCK IN!!!"

Simple.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Good to have an experienced elder statesman like Heskey around. He can inspire both on and off the bench.

Good to have an experienced elder statesman like Heskey around. He can inspire both on and off the bench.

Who will you be supporting at the WC?

same as every WC

England in the groups
    Holland in the last 16
    Germany in the semis

same as every WC

England in the groups
    Holland in the last 16
    Germany in the semis

No love for USA?

You fail Tebbit's 'Cricket test'. You're a died-in-the-wool Limey. A Pom. A Brit...

this isn't going to match Life Of Brian's Red Sea Pedestrian speech, but you get the idea.

MLS is like watching Sunday League and the national team just runs around too much. I have no desire to see them in the knockout stages.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Out of that squad choice, I'd like to see something like

James
    Huddlestone
    Crouch

We're obviously on different sides of the fence, cause that looks like my worst nightmare line-up. almost.
    There's so little midfield creativity. That squad can only play one way, down the flanks whipping crossing in and when that fails, long balls. Unless you're expecting Rooney to do everything.

James = calamity

Huddleston = plank of wood

Milner is highly over rated. He couldn't even win us the U21 Euros, and that was only last summer.

I understand the hate for Me Me and Frank (to a lesser extent) but to not play them, when they're proven world class midfielders is just ridiculous. Lampard scored more goals this season than most strikers ffs.

And why pick Ferdinad but not Terry? When Reeooo has been gash all season.

Rooney has proved this season he's one of the best strikers in the world. Sure he can play anywhere, but you need him upfront scoring the goals, as our second choice strikers are ALL second rate.

Crouch lone striker = long balls = anti-football = fail

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    MLS is like watching Sunday League and the national team just runs around too much. I have no desire to see them in the knockout stages.

i think you may be giving MLS too much credit.

that said, some 80-90% of the US team plays in Europe now, so it's more like watching a championship side team play now. As such, the US will be playing the long ball for sure, but at least it isn't too horrible to watch anymore.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Altidore impressed me in Arsenal's recent game against Hull. He was playing in Midfield though.

• I think USA have a half-decent squad, which is all you really need to get a result against England...

Landon Donovan looked good on his loan at Everton, you've also got a couple at Rangers, plus Clint Dempsey, and the one from West Ham.

And I've heard good things about Altidore in the past but he never really shone for Hull, possibly due to the limited number of starts (and there was that red card at Sunderland).

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    why do you hate england

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    At least in MLS when they know they suck hard they attempt to make it up to the fans.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20100510/SPORTS/705109962/0/RSS01

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    So who is this David Cameron bloke? And when do the riots start?

lol

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    We haven't even had a day of Tory government, and already there's a Scottish family homeless and unemployed.