Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    ha!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    seriously my sister needs a nightclub/restaurant list for SF
    what's poppin from thursday to sunday in SF
    elbo room? where ze Moistened One

and can we reup that Vegas info if yall were to be so kind (spidey?)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Digging and food spots in SF please.

Record stores in SF > LA.

Food in LA > SF.

Dealt.

Deal.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Digging and food spots in SF please.

Record stores in TX > CA.

Food in TX > CA.

Prisons in CA > TX

Dealt.

Deal.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Food in LA > SF.

You are high.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    sf is freezing and i hate everything there like sly and the family stone, and the people there who say no worries like 80 times a day and have the most boner softening style ever and consider the fate of the earth to be a topic of interest.

soulstrut ur back! and you are so simple and clean and spare, i'm in awe.

Food in LA > SF.

You are high.

It's not even a contest dude. Anyone who thinks SF has superior food to LA in terms of quality and diversity is bugging.

The only thing I'll give SF an edge on are bakeries. LA has stunningly weak bakeries for such a big city. Otherwise, name what area of cuisine SF is superior in?

Chinese? Mexican? Thai? Vietnamese?

Please.

And Rich: You funny.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Who cares about the city, where's the E Bay thread?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    we had an ethereal sunset the other day

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Food in LA > SF.

You are high.

It's not even a contest dude. Anyone who thinks SF has superior food to LA in terms of quality and diversity is bugging.

The only thing I'll give SF an edge on are bakeries. LA has stunningly weak bakeries for such a big city. Otherwise, name what area of cuisine SF is superior in?

Chinese? Mexican? Thai? Vietnamese?

Please.

And Rich: You funny.

I'd put SF's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant against LA's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant. But LA has way MORE good restaurants. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering LA is about 5 times the size of SF.

as for bakeries in LA I like Masa.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    boner softening style

I'd put SF's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant against LA's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant.

I'd question if you've been to the best restaurants in each city to even make this comparison. I mean, what's the very best in each city?

I will say this much: the greatest meal I've ever had was at French Laundry. I don't know if anywhere in LA can step to that. But fine dining aside, I'd put LA's ethnic food options over any other city in the States.

[LA has way MORE good restaurants. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering LA is about 5 times the size of SF.

The size isn't incidental. It's why SF can't compete on the food tip.

I'd put SF's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant against LA's single very best Chinese/Mexican/Thai/Vietnamese/etc restaurant.

I'd question if you've been to the best restaurants in each city to even make this comparison. I mean, what's the very best in each city?

I will say this much: the greatest meal I've ever had was at French Laundry. I don't know if anywhere in LA can step to that. But fine dining aside, I'd put LA's ethnic food options over any other city in the States.

[LA has way MORE good restaurants. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering LA is about 5 times the size of SF.

The size isn't incidental. It's why SF can't compete on the food tip.

I didn't say it was incidental. I was pointing out exactly WHY the greater number of good restaurants; we seem to agree on this.

As for "the best" I am not gonna claim to have eaten at the best restaurants in either city. What I meant I guess was that the best pho/torta/larb I've had in LA (so far in my life) was no better than the best pho/torta/larb I've had in SF. Sure the *last best* restaurant in any given category may have been in SF or LA, but that's usually a function of where I last happened to have had a great meal. I'm constantly discovering new, great spots in each city, and I make an effort to seek new, well-regarded places out on the regular.

The LA pool is just deeper: for every bomb thai/vietnamese/mex spot in SF there's like 5 in LA.

The LA pool is just deeper: for every bomb thai/vietnamese/mex spot in SF there's like 5 in LA.

i completely agree with this

• Who cares about the city, where's the E Bay thread?

I like the new ice cream choices that have come up in Berkeley and Oakland over the last few years though I don't know if anything's f*cking with Mitchell's.

But I'm saying; it goes beyond depth.

If I want a good bowl of pho, I can roll into South El Monte where there's probably about a dozen different restaurants within a mile of one another. And each spot tries to distinguish themselves from the other (with varying success). We're talk sub-regional styles. That's a benefit of size, density (and to be honest, segregation of a sorts) that goes beyond "depth as numeric advantage" and really represents "depth as diversity."

That's especially true with Chinese food. There's far more regional styles represented in L.A. than the Bay; that alone gives it a food advantage. None of this is to suggest the Bay doesn't have good Chinese food but it's not on the same level.

I did north Vietnamese thick noodle pho at Turtle Tower in the TL ysterday. Not a huge fan of their broth, but def a unique pho experience.

• People that live and rent in SF and eat out enough to write about it regularly, sound rich.

yeah well I do a twice-orthree-times weekly burrito or pho (each about 8 dollars)...and my rent is CHEAP...I sound poor...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I've done my part, your part, and at least five other people's parts in ensuring Betty's is a success. Living 2 minutes away is both a blessing and a curse.

Also, Rockridge Cafe has the best bacon in the Bay.

South El Monte

Recs please.

South El Monte

Recs please.

If you want straight pho - Pho Minh or Pho Huynh. I personally like the broth at Pho Minh better but both have their loyal camps.

Viet Huong for bun bo hue (they can leave out the pig's blood if you ask). I haven't tried the pho there yet but I can't imagine them being bad.