Movie Star/Vinyl Head

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
Do you know of any movie stars that are serious vinyl collectors? I know Matt Dillon has a sick latin collection. After seeing High Fidelity I wondered if John Cusack was into vinyl. Who else do you know of?

Comments

• Jessica Alba

• why are there 2 threads?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I was in Burbank buying an expedit at Ikea and Vincent Gallo happened to walk up and get one as well. Dude was weird as hell. He would not stop staring at my GF and me. And I mean staaaaaaaaring. Anyway, I've read he's into records (I assume that may have been what the expedit was for). I like some of his work but his presence that day was beyond creepy.

• I've read that Tom Hanks collects garage 45s, don't know if it's true or not.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    why are there 2 threads?

Fixed.

• Clint Eastwood loves jazz. Wonder if he has a recordcollection too.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I was in Burbank buying an expedit at Ikea and Vincent Gallo happened to walk up and get one as well. Dude was weird as hell. He would not stop staring at my GF and me. And I mean staaaaaaaaring. Anyway, I've read he's into records (I assume that may have been what the expedit was for). I like some of his work but his presence that day was beyond creepy.

Like that?

If I was in Ikea getting the expedit, odds are I'd be really friggin' stoned...so basically if someone stared at me really hard...I'd prolly giggle like a mug.

Btw, let's not forget Dan Aykroyd...his blues record game better be on point dammit.

• matt dillon

also, lest you forget vincent gallo was a b-boy

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Like I said in the other thread, Adrian Brody. Also Scott Caan (if one actually considers him a "star.")

What about Conan O'Brian? Isn't he a big rockabilly collector or something like that?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've sold records to actor Bill Paxton.

Ethan Suplee the dude that plays the brother in "My Name Is Earl" was at last Spring's SXSW ARC Show.

Woody Allen collects.

• matt dillon

also, lest you forget vincent gallo was a b-boy

Matt was the first person mentioned in the thread.

I've heard some of the early VG records, I don't think I would describe him as a b-boy, more like a mopey synth dude.

• Clint Eastwood loves jazz. Wonder if he has a recordcollection too.

He does, there's photos of him with his records out there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Tarantino.

bumped into him in a store a few years back.

• I was in Burbank buying an expedit at Ikea and Vincent Gallo happened to walk up and get one as well. Dude was weird as hell. He would not stop staring at my GF and me. And I mean staaaaaaaaring. Anyway, I've read he's into records (I assume that may have been what the expedit was for). I like some of his work but his presence that day was beyond creepy.

dude did that to me at ATP in LA, but to be fair, i was staring at him, too. he was wearing a white leather jacket with fringe on the sleeves, how could i not stare?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I've heard some of the early VG records, I don't think I would describe him as a b-boy, more like a mopey synth dude.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    If we might expand into celebs generally, a store owner in Tokyo told me Randy Johnson is big into bootlegs.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Bruce Willis is known to be a big blues and soul fan... not sure if he collects actual vinyl though?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I can't believe nobody has said MATT DILLON yet!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If we might expand into celebs generally, a store owner in Tokyo told me Randy Johnson is big into bootlegs.

Tuneup from Canada has a great Randy Johnson story....dude was big into Rush.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar had a world class jazz collection that he lost in a house fire.

The celebrity with the best collection is probably R.Crumb

• Lol at RZA being a movie star.

I hear Atreyu from Never Ending Story got deep crates.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Bruce Willis is known to be a big blues and soul fan... not sure if he collects actual vinyl though?

Thought Willis was more of a bloooooozzzeee guy. Picturing a CD changer heavy on Slow Hand and Blueshammer-type stuff.

• what a horrible look.

• and oh yeah: MATT DILLON!

• [ Matt Dillon at groove merchant story ]

• what a horrible look.

scrolling down the picture is like watching a slow motion car wreck. the break in his jeans is the body flying through the windshield.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Thought Willis was more of a bloooooozzzeee guy. Picturing a CD changer heavy on Slow Hand and Blueshammer-type stuff.

dude... i had to actually witness this foolishness. i used to work the door at this grimey jazz club in Richmond on the weekends. Bruce was in town shooting "The Jackal" and decided to bless the venue with his vocal stylings. it was horrendous. truely horrible. a moment that haunts me in my dreams.

• YOU GIVE ME FEVER!!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    After seeing High Fidelity I wondered if John Cusack was into vinyl. Who else do you know of?

There's that scene in High Fidelity where some crazed gripper type is trying to get them to sell him some tepid lp, that they've been keeping behind the counter. They refuse, just to fusk with him. But the 'cool' black dude calls them on it and asks them if they'd sell it to him, they agree, so he says they're snobs.

This is one of those scenes that builds the characters and tries to illustrate just how well the author knows his subject, the vinyl junkies and record shop nerds. Maybe Nick Hornby does, unfortunately none of the dudes involved in the movie do.

Because..

Whilst they all watch dude make his speech, about how they're snobs etc for agreeing to sell him this lp, he's holding it, gesturing and emoting with it. Only he's holding it right at the corner and waggling it. With each waggle you can see the sleeve bending and SHOCKER!! beginning to crease. This is meant to be some cherished behind the counter rekkid! I know some record shop owning freaks who would physically eject you from their stores for behaving in such a manor. And this is how we know they are not true record fiends.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts