Little Ann: Deep Shadows

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
Why are we not talking about this? "Deep Shadows" is killing me right now.

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• That album is sooooo damn good. So glad I picked it up. To be honest, I'm pretty surprised I didn't read about it here first.

• Dave Hamilton-related Detroit shelved masterpiece

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That album is sooooo damn good. So glad I picked it up. To be honest, I'm pretty surprised I didn't read about it here first.

Right?

I read about it on a few blogs in early Dec but didn't get a chance to listen until now and I'm totally

• Damn, this is a gem. Is the rest of the album fire? Need to cop if it is.

• so good...

O, you definitely seem to be a sucker for this kind of sound. First thing I thought of when I heard it was Bobby Reed "Time is right for Love", which you've of course championed a lot. Of course the Bobby Reed is much more polished in the recording, but still... this has a similar tone, with the treble clef piano chords & harmonizing vibraphone and the really heavy downbeat. are those guitar chords hitting on the downbeat in the Little Ann track?

...2:10-2:30 just kills

Damn, this is a gem. Is the rest of the album fire? Need to cop if it is.

You need to cop it.

so good...

O, you definitely seem to be a sucker for this kind of sound. First thing I thought of when I heard it was Bobby Reed "Time is right for Love", which you've of course championed a lot. Of course the Bobby Reed is much more polished in the recording, but still... this has a similar tone, with the treble clef piano chords & harmonizing vibraphone and the really heavy downbeat. are those guitar chords hitting on the downbeat in the Little Ann track?

Ha, well, I was born in Michigan so maybe it's in the soil there.

• Damn, this is a gem. Is the rest of the album fire? Need to cop if it is.

i mean, i haven't heard the whole thing yet, BUT...

• so good...

Ha, well, I was born in Michigan so maybe it's in the soil there.

by the way, first saw this on twitter and shouted at you. the track is also available on Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers comp as well, along with a couple other Little Ann tracks.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's cool when she's not screaming.

• really love this album! great work from Timmion!!!

It's cool when she's not screaming.

hater

by the way, first saw this on twitter and shouted at you. the track is also available on Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers comp as well, along with a couple other Little Ann tracks.

Word, I just realized that as well.

BTW: I never check my twitter feed. I just have it hooked into facebook so that I can update both at the same time.

• The whole album is great, and the vinyl sounds really good.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Why are we not talking about this?

"Deep Shadows" is killing me right now.
    wow, very nice

• How could anyone have missed this!

• Very latte pass really. Little Ann was found by 2 English guys from the northern soul scene Tats and Gilly about 10 years ago working in a motor factory in Detroit after they flew over to meet Dave Hamilton. Ady Croasdell at Kent then released many of the tracks on the album on 45/CD and flew Ann over to perform at Cleethorpes weekender, she was great, and very little, and very friendly and couldn't believe it was all happening. Sadly she passed away before this album was released, i'm sure she'd have been overjoyed to see it happen.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Is it me, or is this record mastered kind of poorly? My copy is really noisy/poppy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Link to the Timmion release please?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    sounds extremely similar to the backing track of another Dave Hamilton production that actually was released:

JT Rhythm - All I Want is You - Palmer

also - a vocal of 'Sweep It Out in the Shed' was released by Tobi Lark on Topper

Is it me, or is this record mastered kind of poorly? My copy is really noisy/poppy.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Very latte pass really. Little Ann was found by 2 English guys from the northern soul scene Tats and Gilly about 10 years ago working in a motor factory in Detroit after they flew over to meet Dave Hamilton. Ady Croasdell at Kent then released many of the tracks on the album on 45/CD and flew Ann over to perform at Cleethorpes weekender, she was great, and very little, and very friendly and couldn't believe it was all happening. Sadly she passed away before this album was released, i'm sure she'd have been overjoyed to see it happen.

Yeah, I was reading some of the background on her and so...NONE of her material was ever originally released before those Kent comps?

• sounds extremely similar to the backing track of another Dave Hamilton production that actually was released:

JT Rhythm - All I Want is You - Palmer

also - a vocal of 'Sweep It Out in the Shed' was released by Tobi Lark on Topper

Also same backing as unreleased track by O.C. Tolbert - "You Got Me Turned Around," which is available on Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers Vol. 2 compact disc.

• Is it me, or is this record mastered kind of poorly? My copy is really noisy/poppy.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

It's because of the original recordings were like that. Anybody who has heard other TCB releases such as the Barrino Brothers 45, can hear that Hamilton wasn't running the best in recording gear at that time. I actually haven't heard the vinyl yet, but it can't sound much worse than the tracks KENT sent us in the first place.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Speaking of Little Ann, can somebody please tell me where this track comes from? It sounds like an alternate take of "One Way Street" but I don't know what it's from. Comp perhaps? It's probably something obvious like the b-side of the Ric Tic single.

Help me please

• I actually didn't have any issues with the sound quality on the Timmion LP. I don't remember hearing any pops.