Delta Airlines... WTF related

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
I just returned from Ghana this past Sunday after spending a whole month and a small fortune on probably the best digging trip I ever had.I was very pleased that Delta allows 2x 50 pounds of check in luggage and up to 40 pounds carry on as long as you stay within the overhead compartment compatible measurments.I traveled with 2 100-LP padded soft bags for check in and a 60 LP bag for carry on plus a 150-45 case as "personal item". I had only brought cheap, disposable clothes and shoes that I just left at the hotel room when I left for the airport, using all my luggage space for vinyl and checking in both bags filled with 200 LPs in total. The rest had been sent by mail the day before. I chose to take the best pieces with me on the plane because mailed packages sometimes get treated a bit roughly and it just felt like the right thing to do at the time.I arrived at JFK but my baggage didn't.There were about 30-40 other passangers that had the same experience so I didn't worry much. I almost felt bad for the Delta representative at the baggage claim desk who was yelled at by a mob of angry Africans so I just filed my shit as missing and trusted them to deliver everything the next day. I called them yesterday and already felt a bit nervous when they weren't even able to tell me where exactly my shit was and if it would come in with yesterdays flight from Accra.I just called them again 30 minutes ago and after being on hold for a while, I was told that my bags were on their way to Karachi. I had the representative repeat this several times and finaly stuttered something like "Karachi... you said Karachi, right??? Karachi???" The answer was "Karachi is a city in Pakistan, sir". I knew that but why the hell was my luggage on the way to Karachi, Pakistan?I was told that someone had called them and demanded my baggage to be sent there.Then I was put on hold again...After what felt like forever, the lady came back on my line and said she was sorry but they had looked in the wrong file and my shit was about to arrive at JFK in about an hour.What the F*ck???

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I was told that someone had called them and demanded my baggage to be sent there.

This would be around when my heart would implode and lungs collapse.

• Options
    oh man that f*cking sucks.

I check my mail every day when I'm expecting records and get antsy and shit. I would lose it if this Karachi thing happened to me.

Hopefully this ends well.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    damn... but thank the lord it showed up after all!

• try to stay zen about it for the next 24 hours at which point i would start calling head office types. keep a record of everyone you speak to (get their id numbers) and what they tell you. do you have photographs or an inventory of the records you checked?

battling any airline for compensation for damaged lost items is a major league hassle. i truly hope this works out for the best.

• Hmmm, can I call Delta and demand your baggage be sent to my house?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What I was told was that my stuff never was re-directed to Karachi. They got the mis-information when accidentaly looking in the wrong file. Why my stuff wasn't already on yesterday's plane from Accra I don't know...

I should sue for pain and suffering. When she dropped the Karachi bomb, I probably lost a year or two of life expectancy.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    That really sucks big time, but Karachi actually isn??t that bad. Don??t blame Karachi, blame Delta !

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had only brought cheap, disposable clothes and shoes that I just left at the hotel room when I left for the airport

That's one way to reassure the security personnel that you're not carrying a crotch bomb.

• LOOOL!!!!!!

[that is, once you're bags are safe & sound]

• update?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    update?

re-read the original post...the records were never going to karachi in the first place, and were actually on their way to the right place after all. everything is ok it seems.

• i don't know this thread read to me like another drive to jfk to pick up was in order.

just saw the other 45 mix thread now. i'm not on this shit keeping tabs all day.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx for the concern, yeah, I finally have my stuff now... 3 days late.