Need a Mac for my Mom.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
Went to her house today and it took 25 MINUTES(!) to open up iTunes on her old ass PC. I think I'm gonna surprise her with a Mac or a Macbook but I'm trying not to spend too much. Problem with a PC is that anytime it needs to be fixed whoever's fixing it always recommends and loads her up with all kinds of anti-virus programs which really slows her down. Plus sometimes she gets tricked by deceptive pop-ups. Also, now that I'm on a MacBook Pro I can be a bit more useful to her with "over the phone" help. She's got "Mom-level" computer savvy (read: VERY basic) so I figure she can take advantage of the Apple Store's training sessions and we can throw down a little extra for AppleCare with a new or refurbished Mac. I suppose I can find a used one but that would limit the span of the warranty IF one's still available, no?Any recommendations? Yeah, I know I can go online and find the cheapest one available on Apple, Best Buy, etc., but I value Strutter advice.Thanks in advance!

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    just get the new 21 inch imac, they are the same from where ever you buy them, siple to use and the all in one thing is un obtrusive in most surroundings

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'd have to second the advice above -- if your mom is like mine, she doesn't really have any need for that laptop portability, and the cheapest iMac should be plenty of computer.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    First decide on a notebook or a desktop computer.

Unless Mom needs to take her computer with her places, I'd recommend a Mac over a MacBook. You can adjust monitor/keyboard height when sitting at a desk for ideal posture (ie put the keyboard in your lap if you need to), which is more ergonomic than hovering over a MacBook (unless they make MacBooks with adjustable height monitors now).

The reason I mention this is because comfort is important, and my own mom has a bad back. Personally, my back is always sore because if my laptop is at a desk level where the keyboard height is good, the screen is always too low, and vice versa. Wish my notebook would !

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I cosine the dL: 21.5 inch iMac should be good.

• I figured the laptop would work 'cause she could play on the computer while watching TV. I suppose she can always move her desk into the living room though. She's been using her office/den for years so that might not be a huge issue. Thanks everybody!

• Depending on what your moms is up to on the computer you might not need to get the freshest mac out of the store, craigslist will be bustling with older yet suitable macs you could check out. An advantage of the newer ones is it's really easy to control the other persons computer on your screen as if you were just casually using it, useful in times of problem-solutions

• Depending on what your moms is up to on the computer you might not need to get the freshest mac out of the store, craigslist will be bustling with older yet suitable macs you could check out. An advantage of the newer ones is it's really easy to control the other persons computer on your screen as if you were just casually using it, useful in times of problem-solutions

Good point. I'm trying to stay under $1000, closer to the $800 range if possible. At this point though, anything would be better than what she has now.

• mac mini.

She can use her old monitor and keyboard and mouse. I use a mac mini for every day computer stuff and it definitely works fine. It's even an older one. Maybe first generation mac mini. It's size is a plus too.

• mac mini.

She can use her old monitor and keyboard and mouse. I use a mac mini for every day computer stuff and it definitely works fine. It's even an older one. Maybe first generation mac mini. It's size is a plus too.

For real?? What kind of limitations would it have??

• For real?? What kind of limitations would it have??

If her old computer takes 25 minutes to open itunes, than I would say "zero." Any limitations should be minimal compared to what she had before. I have no issues with mine. I use it for photoshop, light video editing, etc.

If you are not buying a computer from scratch (already have keyboard, monitor, etc.) then this is a good way to go.

• For real?? What kind of limitations would it have??

If her old computer takes 25 minutes to open itunes, than I would say "zero." Any limitations should be minimal compared to what she had before. I have no issues with mine. I use it for photoshop, light video editing, etc.

If you are not buying a computer from scratch (already have keyboard, monitor, etc.) then this is a good way to go.

And it's cheap (in comparison). Only $600! I just plug all her existing hardware into it, right?

• pretty much. you may want to upgrade the keyboard and mouse, but it's got usb ports, so you can use any usb keyboard/mouse. It's basically the same parts that a laptop has, but without the screen or the battery. It's all the small parts that are used to make up a laptop.

• I def recommend mini mac too. I've had mine for several years, NEVER had a problem with it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Forgot I never responded to this. Bought her a Mac Mini and she loves it! Simple set up too. Thanks, holmeses!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    One of my comps is a mac mini. Use it as my media centre and it rocks...

Also just bought one at work and mounted it to the back of a 55" LCD and it's perfect.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Also just bought one at work and mounted it to the back of a 55" LCD

DAMN! What do you do for a living?!