Best way for cleaning vinyl easily...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
... that's not one of them vacuum machines. Not like it's that deep. I just want to clean up some of my 12"s and make them sparkle as well as maybe making them sound a little crispier.Any specific solutions on the market? And I know other dudes do shit like soap and water and / or rubbing alchohol.What say you, almighty Soulstrut Brain Trust?

Comments

• 8:1 distilled h2o to 91% alcohol

A dash of photoflow, perhaps a dash of liquid soap

I recommend Viva brand paper towels, Walgreens has been selling them $7 for 6 rolls and they are hella soft.

But honestly you should buy a VPI 16.5 if you're for real about it. Nothing else comes close.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    soapy water, a soft rag, and a very soft toothbrush.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    8:1 distilled h2o to 91% alcohol

I always went 3:1 (read it somewhere years ago). Too strong? Pros and cons of different alcohol ratios?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    and for the seriously soiled:

the thing that makes the vpi so untouchable is the vacuum. otherwise youre just wiping the dirt around the record.

• I've considered buying a VPI 16.5. Where's the best place to buy one? The retail price is supposedly $550.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah well you know how it is like I got these 12"s and it's not like I'm not gonna smear fingerprints all over them when I DJ and shit. It don't need to be that deep on some VPI shit.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Clazzique...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i've spent the past 6 months cleaning fresh-off-the-boat nigerian records and that tuff stuff is just about the only thing that can cut through the grime in those things. i'm sure your 12s are signifigantly more clean, cosmo.

about a month ago i got a nasty eye infection from the mold on the covers.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man just your regular run of the mill fingerprints, grime, oil, sweat droplets and beer spills.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if you have one of those rubber mats from your pre-slipmat technics, you should put it between the record and a solid surface. that way you can put some force on it withoud bending your spindle/platter

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    if you have one of those rubber mats from your pre-slipmat technics, you should put it between the record and a solid surface. that way you can put some force on it withoud bending your spindle/platter

Rubber mat, cloth diaper, and some cleaning solution should be all you need.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

• Cosmo one more VPI promo and then I'm out. If you're planning on ripping this stuff to play/edit/etc it's probably gonna pay for itself in no time.

Greasy fingerprints, dust & dirt, etc compromise the sound, maaaaaaaaan...

• if you have one of those rubber mats from your pre-slipmat technics, you should put it between the record and a solid surface. that way you can put some force on it withoud bending your spindle/platter

Rubber mat, cloth diaper, and some cleaning solution should be all you need.

brings back memories of seeing jared clean record after record in the ol TSL with this method

• about a month ago i got a nasty eye infection from the mold on the covers.

record head badge of honor

• personally, i run most of my grimy field finds under warm running water. does the trick and takes no time

i used to do 5-1 alcohol, spray it on, wipe down with paper towels

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Saying, I'm all in to get a 16.5 now that I have the space to put one in. PIty though - there were a slew last fall selling under $400 on eBay.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Be careful with hard water as it can leave spots. Not a big deal, but something to consider if you want your vinyl to look shiny and new.

If you're gentle and careful, your vinyl will get clean with most methods. Just know when to stop[/b]. Some off-the-boat Nigerian stuff with mold on it might never get totally clean. Don't force it or you might cause damage to the record or paper label. Oh, yeah, don't get water spots on the label.

Make sure they dry before you put them back in the covers. Unless your water is sterile, you might get moldiness.

• Anyone here ever try a DIY version?

There's quite a few DIY options out there and I'm not going to hate on people for being inventive and saving a few bucks but seriously: if you're at the point where you'd going to invest time/money into a record cleaning machine, why not just pony up and buy a VPI?

I admit - my price point is $400 or under. Anything more and I'm gun shy so the 17, for example, is out. But would I drop $300-350 for a 16.5? In a heartbeat and with zero regrets.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    if you're at the point where you'd going to invest time/money into a record cleaning machine, why not just pony up and buy

psshhhht says the DIY recordshelfmaker wtf comeonbro

if you're at the point where you'd going to invest time/money into a record cleaning machine, why not just pony up and buy

psshhhht says the DIY recordshelfmaker wtf comeonbro

Apples and oranges dude. Completely.

Did you build your turntable from random spare parts? Or do like 99.9% of everyone hear and just buy a 1200?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    touche: 1200.

but I am cultivating a beatbooger-eating bacteria strain under my toenails...

record-wise, I'd consider myself a consumer. Perhaps "prosumer" (ugh, sorry). I've found Windex to be good enough. I'm thinking that's about 9-to-1 water-to-alcohol mixture, yeah?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Cosmo one more VPI promo and then I'm out. If you're planning on ripping this stuff to play/edit/etc it's probably gonna pay for itself in no time.

Greasy fingerprints, dust & dirt, etc compromise the sound, maaaaaaaaan...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've had one of these for years

it's pretty great a picking up light dirt, hairs and dust, but wont really clean fingerprints.

• There's quite a few DIY options out there and I'm not going to hate on people for being inventive and saving a few bucks but seriously: if you're at the point where you'd going to invest time/money into a record cleaning machine, why not just pony up and buy a VPI?

I admit - my price point is $400 or under. Anything more and I'm gun shy so the 17, for example, is out. But would I drop $300-350 for a 16.5? In a heartbeat and with zero regrets.

Unfortunately that probably puts the 16.5 out too.

I don't know what was up with the glut last year you mentioned, but I've been looking for a few months on various sites and boards and anything $400 or less is gone within the hour.

• I've been considering this for a while now. I would do it because I like to make things, not because I don't want to shell out the money. I'm considering a modified version of the link you've got there, with the new Dyson canister unit. Not sure the specs on the VPI but I'm thinking a Dyson based record cleaner would be unfuckwitable in terms of dirt removal power...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Be careful with hard water as it can leave spots. Not a big deal, but something to consider if you want your vinyl to look shiny and new.

If you're gentle and careful, your vinyl will get clean with most methods. Just know when to stop[/b]. Some off-the-boat Nigerian stuff with mold on it might never get totally clean. Don't force it or you might cause damage to the record or paper label. Oh, yeah, don't get water spots on the label.

Make sure they dry before you put them back in the covers. Unless your water is sterile, you might get moldiness.
    Almond's precious advice once again saves the day...

make sure to use distilled water, tony. that philly tap water is probably full of impurities.

There's quite a few DIY options out there and I'm not going to hate on people for being inventive and saving a few bucks but seriously: if you're at the point where you'd going to invest time/money into a record cleaning machine, why not just pony up and buy a VPI?

Unfortunately that probably puts the 16.5 out too.

I don't know what was up with the glut last year you mentioned, but I've been looking for a few months on various sites and boards and anything $400 or less is gone within the hour.

I've been following 16.5 auctions since last summer on eBay and there's definitely been a handful (3-5?) that have sold for under $400 - almost all of them Buy It Nows. The lowest two I saw were both under $350 and, as you observed, they went very quickly.

I'm saying: it's possible but yeah, you gotta have some luck on your side. I probably should have bid but since I knew we'd be moving, I just didn't want something to have to lug to a new spot. In hindsight though...

touche: 1200.

but I am cultivating a beatbooger-eating bacteria strain under my toenails...

record-wise, I'd consider myself a consumer. Perhaps "prosumer" (ugh, sorry). I've found Windex to be good enough. I'm thinking that's about 9-to-1 water-to-alcohol mixture, yeah?

The thing with a record cleaner is that there's enough "moving parts" going on that I'd rather go with something tried and true (and the VPI series gets very strong reviews) than taking a chance on something that may be cheaper but hasn't necessarily stood the test of time.