Computer internet from the iPhone?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
I heard someone today mentioning that you can run a USB from an iPhone to your home computer, and thus surf the internets without using your standard cable/internet provider. Anyone doing this yet? I would love to pay one less bill per month.

Comments

• Options
    tethering

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I heard someone today mentioning that you can run a USB from an iPhone to your home computer, and thus surf the internets without using your standard cable/internet provider. Anyone doing this yet? I would love to pay one less bill per month.

Are you still on dial-up at home? Because otherwise, why would you want to run your home computer at 3G (read: dial-up) speed?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I was using tethering on 3g and getting 200k/s downloads. It's a lot better than dial-up.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yup. During my 10 hour delay at LGA this past week, for some reason the terminal had no wifi, so I googled doing this from blackberry and after an hour got it working via USB. The speed was actually pretty good (about 110k).

I'm at my grandmothers place for the weekend, no wifi here either, and its been pretty key. Downloaded an episode of the wire in about 3.5 hours last night. Not bad for a phone connection.

I was using tethering on 3g and getting 200k/s downloads. It's a lot better than dial-up.

Tethering is a great option when you're internet-less otherwise. I love me my tethering. BUT, it doesn't make sense why you'd dump a broadband connection for it.

If one is looking to shed a bill, it makes far more sense to dump cable television but keep your broadband access.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Ah. I was actually dubious of the connection speed.

Ah. I was actually dubious of the connection speed.

Yeah. Tethering is awesome when you're in an airport or visiting the in-laws and have no wifi options. But it isn't remotely an equal substitute for broadband.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

Tethering is a great option when you're internet-less otherwise. I love me my tethering. BUT, it doesn't make sense why you'd dump a broadband connection for it.

If one is looking to shed a bill, it makes far more sense to dump cable television but keep your broadband access.

on dumping the cable. My folks can barely use the digital cable, anyway.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    You can connect to the iPhone using bluetooth (wireless) or USB (faster). It's comparable with DSL speed.
    Technically violates your contract with AT&T. I haven't hear of anyone getting dinged for this yet, but we'll see.
    For the tethering hack to work you need iPhone OS 3.0 or earlier (or a jailbroken iPhone). The 3.1 update disabled the hack.