Russell Peters

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
long story. my friend and i got 2 tix to see this Russell Peters comedian dude at Radio City last night. no clue who this guy is. last minute etc.show up its like this long ass line (2 sold out shows) and just mad Indian people. we were like the only white people there. i mean that doesn't phase me but we didn't know who dude was so it was weird u know?get inside Spinbad is spinning. amped about that! opening act was pretty fukin funny. some dude Owen Smith? from Everybody Hates Chris!then Russell Peters comes on. informs us Melle Mel did his intro (said tons of hip hop royalty is in the house). i look at my Twitter and its like DJ Riz is there, Bumpy Knucks, Marco Polo, Caz...i am like u know dude should be pretty funny alot of people reppin for him!dude did like an hour and a half of racial stereotypes. asked people in the crowd was nationality they were and made fun of how they talk for like the whole night....he made fun of Indian people (and west Indian people) for about 30 minutes. about how their heads shake when they talk and how their accents are funny. everyone is laughing except for us because we are surrounded by Indian people? i mean is it ok to laugh? even if it was it just was stale and old...then i find out this dude is seriously next level famous and i am like "shit i never heard of him"plus some kid next to me was laughing on some loud HAR HAR HAR shit and his breath wafted towards me every joke...stunkmy friend is like "yo lets leave at intermission" to which i replied "what if there is no intermission?"so we got up and left!actually that was a long story

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    He wishes he was Aziz

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    He wishes he was Aziz

this guy has been around for like 20 years supposedly....it was odd

i am actually going to see Aziz Wednesday. tHAT will be funny!

you dont think comedians do their standup special routines live do they?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    comedian who ''exploded'' on the canadian scene before it was cool (i.e dude's on last comic standing) to do racial jokes and be indian

kid of unfunny but oddly popular

• he made fun of Indian people (and west Indian people) for about 30 minutes.
    This is his whole act, it was funny when i first saw it but now its kinda stale.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    He's known for his race-related humor. That's kind of his thing. It does get old, but I think he's a pretty good comedian in terms of comedic timing and whatnot. South Asians flood his shows because they're low on options when it comes to humor that relates to them. Otherwise it's just liquor store jokes a la Apu on the Simpsons.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    i mean is it ok to laugh?

If it's at a comedy show, yes.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Russell Peters is very funny.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah his stuff can get repetitive, but he's good at what he does. saw him at my college back in 2000...back in the days before he was getting big, my dad caught him somewhere and he signed an autograph "stay brown", i always loved that. definitely not the first to do race impressions and whatever, but if you hear him talk about the neighbourhoods he grew up in toronto you can understand why his impressions are so amazing. he grew up around these people. i also caught him when he sold out the ACC, 2 nights back to back, that is huge!!! I think DOR knows a lot more about him. I think he was into djing at one point?

another funny thing i saw at a buddy's place once was someone he knew (of indian origin) had russel do a gig at a banquet hall for some function (all old school brownies in attendance). so i'm watching the video...and he started with some racy material and got some cold cold ice grills from all the elders haha(i dont have to tell you how conservative older indians can be). such an awkward moment. he's on the mic like "i want to tell a joke, but you guys are going to kill me...how can i clean this up..." hahah so hilarious. epic awkwardness for like 10 minutes.

anyhow its cool to see a brown canadian make it. i hope he evolves.

• Options
    Yeah, he needs to evolve.

His shit was hilarious when it first hit the scene, but he needs to move onto other shit and do the racial impressions less and less. It's getting tired.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've known Russell for over 15 years. Dude is the truth. How you see him on stage is how he is in real life. Dude can cut on the wheels like it ain't no thang as well. I believe he got his stand up start opening for hip hop concerts way back in the day.

This is the video that started him off to fame.