Options

rep your under-appreciated records (RR)

edited January 2010 in Strut Central
You know that record that's tucked away that you don't even think about until something reminds you? Then you pull it out, drop the needle, and this happens...

add on...

Comments

• Travel Agency

Green Lyte Sunday

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Every year or so, I dig this out and end up playing nothing else for about a week. I dug it out again last Thursday, and "What Could Be Better, Bi***" is playing as I type. I realise it's not super-obscure or anything, and that loads of people are up on it and wave the flag for how good a record it is. All the same, I do feel it's under-appreciated. In spite of how it tries to cram so many styles - hip-hop, funk, metal, dancehall, soul, hardcore, house, garage - into one record, sometimes even one song, it's still probably the straight-up funkiest record the Bomb Squad ever made. Obviously it didn't sell a light at the time it came out, and with hindsight that probably had as much to do with the way hip-hop was beginning to change as it did with how tough it was to market an act like SOB. But while it's still a shame they never made another record, the one record they did make turned out to be a great one.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

Every year or so, I dig this out and end up playing nothing else for about a week. I dug it out again last Thursday, and "What Could Be Better, Bi***" is playing as I type. I realise it's not super-obscure or anything, and that loads of people are up on it and wave the flag for how good a record it is. All the same, I do feel it's under-appreciated. In spite of how it tries to cram so many styles - hip-hop, funk, metal, dancehall, soul, hardcore, house, garage - into one record, sometimes even one song, it's still probably the straight-up funkiest record the Bomb Squad ever made. Obviously it didn't sell a light at the time it came out, and with hindsight that probably had as much to do with the way hip-hop was beginning to change as it did with how tough it was to market an act like SOB. But while it's still a shame they never made another record, the one record they did make turned out to be a great one.

Tis indeed a great record.

Mines "Melle Mel - Piano" not a weak track on it.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Travel Agency

Green Lyte Sunday

Both great records to my ears, and two I still need to pick up.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Natalie Cole LIVE

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts