Small Faces??

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
Saw a great doco on the Small faces last night w plenty of live performance footage etc.

I have never really checked their stuff, cus I dont dig that deep in the rock crates, but from what i saw and heard I realised I had mistaken them for another british pop rock band. I see theres a lot more to their sound and now Im keen to get my hands on some of their stuff...Plus I dig how they sang in a more 'natural' accent/voice and mixed up their style a bit moreany one here up really up on the Small Faces records and feels like schooling me?I definetly got to get my hands on this one... any other recommendations?

Comments

• besides Ogden's Nut Gone Flake...dont bother with their other Immediate stuff IMO...the really good stuff is on Decca, if you see anything on Decca by them, scoop it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm a big Small Faces fan, and I like just about everything they did pre-Rod Stewart (1970), so I can't pinpoint a specific album - they're all good, even if they were reissued to death.

As far as the post-Rod years...

They changed their name to "Faces," and the sound got sloppier. At least one of those albums (First Step) was credited to "the Small Faces." I like Faces, but their albums are kinda spotty.

There were a couple of reunion albums (w/Steve Marriott)later in the seventies on Atlantic, 78 In The Shade and Playmates. Haven't heard them. Not sure I'd want to. The consensus seems to be that they're not worth the time (like a lot of reunion LP's from the Byrds on down).

• F*cking genius band...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

See if this one sounds familiar...

At least they kept (a variation on) the title. Hope they gave the original author the proper credit, unlike a later UK band who gave the tune a facelift.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    all the early stuff on Decca & Immediate up to their first break up. can't really lose there.

• See if this one sounds familiar...

At least they kept (a variation on) the title. Hope they gave the original author the proper credit, unlike a later UK band who gave the tune a facelift.

I was referring to the later band (Led Zeppelin,cough, cough...) ripping off this version lock stock and barrel....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    cheers for the info... I was blown away by some of the songs in the doco....
    and I cant believe they got away with such blatant drug references at the time too (Here comes the nice, itchycoo etc)

Kinda felt bad for them (according to the doco) how they got screwed hard by their mgmt/agent and didnt get pushed more in the US.

Whats the deal with Happiness Stan..was that a solo LP or part of Ogden? That bit wasnt clear in the doco...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    They seemed to do a lot of work with other artists, as well.

The P.P. Arnold records with them backing are definitely worth checking out.

My favorite WFMU score ever was a UK mono of their 1966 Decca LP for $7 ... it would only rate a "VG/VG" and isn't all that rare or valuable, but it plays perfectly with amazing sound and is probably one of the top 5 most played albums I own.

• Only one Humble Pie song I like, and that's "Thirty Days In The Hole."

GREAT f*cking RECORD.

• The Humble Pie Live LP "Rockin the Fillmore" is a motherfucker...they tear the shit out of "I dont need no doctor"

• The Humble Pie Live LP "Rockin the Fillmore" is a motherfucker...they tear the shit out of "I dont need no doctor"

Seriously. And HUGELY influential too. How many 90s "hard rock" bands were basically cutting/pasting Humble Pie and the Faces?

b/w

They really were small. Look at that video above of Tin Soldier, and Ronnie Lane is barely bigger than his bass...

• Post Faces Ronnie Lane is always worth checking for - Anymore For Anymore is a cracker of an lp, neckerchief rock at its best. & I love The Poacher, what a record.