Back-up Your Back-ups (Music Collection-r)

undocumentundocument 70 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
Strut:Who here, if any, backs up their entire digital audio/music collection in more than one spot? I know a lot of those DJ's we got floating around here have got some serious time & money invested in those zeroes and ones that make up music nowadays, but does it make sense to back that up to a separate drive? I've got my stash on a separate Ext. HD, but should I also back that up to another drive in case of catastrophe? Necessity or waste o' time?

Comments

• Options
    If you have a shit ton of music, it's not a bad idea.

• Options
    I should have added:

I have a large collection in an ext hd, but I also burned that shit onto a stack of DVDs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well, I had about 500 gigs of music. And I had it backed up.

Went through a fucked up moment and lost both drives at the same moment HAHA. In a bad way with no option to recover that shit.

I was able to get back about half of it through 2 close friends I had given stuff to. But I lost a good amount of stuff I grabbed off the strut. Which sucks.

Oh well.

I just don't keep backups in the same location now.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I have my stuff backed up on an external drive and 100 DVDRs

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i have 2 HD's and trying to have a bigger internal drive and get a DVD burner

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you're serious about keeping your music for a long time it's essential. No single digital storage medium is foolproof, so you need to have a strategy that involves (at least) two separate archives.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm waiting to pounce on the right deal on a rackmount ethernet RAID 0 storage array. The way to go for backups and since it's ethernet you can put it on a network too.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Online storage is gettin cheap as hayle.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i wish i couldve backed up the external i lost recently, but honestly its kinda expensive and time consuming, backing up everything you got,
    but if you got the means DO IT. 500 gb is a lot of music.
    :-(

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I have one of those DVD storage boxes you can find at Bags Unlimited, cleared the DVD's out today and filled it with all of the DVD-R's I have of my CD collection, with some vinyl rips.

It normally holds 54 DVD's, and I have two. I'm about to sell most, if not all, of my DVD's (maybe save them as ISO's since I'm not watching them any time soon), and it made better sense.

In my case, I'm converting it to FLAC/lossless, so if I converted it to MP3's at 320kbps, it would take up less room. In time I do want to transfer all of this to 1gb or 2tb externals, but I still have a good part of my own collection to rip.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Two back-ups is not a bad idea. My HD failed this summer and I lost a lot of stuff: photos, college papers and music. Hopefully I won't be so stupid in the future.

• I have 2 external HDs + CDs. Necessity IMO.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i got one 4 yr old laptop & no hard drives. if it dies i start from scratch

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Deej,

My laptop was 4 when the HD failed. You should head on over the the Apple Store/Best Buy/Fry's this weekend and get an external.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, there is no reason not to really. You can pick up 1.5 TB drives for under $100 nowadays.

Or even 500 GB 2.5" notebook drives for under $100 bucks

• ZacZac 20 Posts
    ..gotta not forget to RE-back up your shit after adding a bunch of new stuff. I'm guilty of that right now. I backed my studio computer and laptop to the same TB drive and stashed it a couple months ago. If my OLD desktop goes, I lose ton of album work that I would never truly be able to re-create and there's quite a bit of vinyl that I ripped as well that would be gone... Ugh. This thread is a great reminder to not hose yourself - especially with how cheap drives are. Take it to Fry's, sonnn. Might wanna just hold onto that vinyl, too...

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I try to back-up my laptop that I use for DJ work once a month as a healthy habit. Then I try to back-up those files once a year on DVDs as stuff accumulates, upgrades & streamlines.

As I buy more externals I def upgrade in size and dump other externals onto that, just in case, ultimately having multiple files of the same stuff on the same drive which drives me crazy.

• I'm waiting to pounce on the right deal on a rackmount ethernet RAID 0 storage array. The way to go for backups and since it's ethernet you can put it on a network too.

Unlurking since nobody's touched this yet. A RAID 0 NAS is probably not a good thing. RAID is not a backup solution, and RAID 0 doubly so. The intent of RAID is to maintain fault tolerance due to drive failure, but it won't protect against data loss due to user error, viruses, etc and keeps no historical snapshots. You delete/corrupt/overwrite a file on a RAID array and it's just as screwed up as if it were on a single drive. RAID 0 is even worse for data integrity because it just creates striped disks so if a single drive in a RAID 0 array fails then *all* data on the array is lost. No parity recovery, nothing. The intent of RAID 0 is to speed up read speeds, so putting RAID 0 in a NAS won't do much good for anything.

A more fault tolerant backup solution would be multiple external HDs with rolling snapshots so you would be able to recover files from a specific point in time and the multi-drive mirroring would protect against a drive failure. If you want to get real baller you could use LTO or DAT for backups, but that's out there.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yes, this lurker is right. Google "raid is not backup".

For pc users, I can't say enough how much I love acronis. It has saved my ass many times.

Right now, I use drobo to backup 3 computers, but I still want a 2nd layer of backup to be sure.

• GLYPH