have you ever seen or been abducted by a UFO

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
DR MANHATTIN said:i think this was already a thread many moons ago but there is probably a whole new generation of strutters dominating this forum by now and i want to read more stories of close encounters and flying saucers and stuff. any chicago strutters see the jawn at O'Hare a couple years ago? and BTW, yes, i have seen one myself.peace, hattin'. . .

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I saw a large object explode in the sky and streak over half of the horizon in Houston maybe 15 years ago. The official NASA explanation was that it was a supply tanker from the Russian space station burning up on re-entry. I doubt that, this thing was huge, eye witness reports came in all the way from Louisiana.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've never seen a UFO, and every story I've heard by someone tell me about their experience has inevitably included the phrase "Sure, I was high/drunk/stoned... but it was REAL."

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    are there (m)any alien abduction stories that predate, say, the 1850s? Not talking about ancient pictographs/cave drawings/hieroglyphics that supposedly represent UFOs and aliens, but purportedly non-fiction narratives detailing being taken from this planet by non-human creatures in their flying machines?

not 100% a sceptic, but pretty close; the explosion of sightings and adbuction stories seems to follow the rise of our own aircrafts/satellites, not to mention science-fiction as a genre, a little too closely.

• i have an irrational fear of seeing/being abducted by a UFO (this is assuming that the UFO is an alien spacecraft. i freak out every time i driving in the country a night because of this.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Probably not.

• I saw a UFO with two other kids when I was 13 or 14 (before I'd ever been intoxicated on any substance)in the field above my neighbors house. One night we were walking down these rail-road tracks and I saw a strange light in the sky. As we got closer to home the light moved straight up very slowly and then moved towards us. It then flew directly over us so we could see that it was a huge object kinda triangular shaped and it DIDN'T MAKE A SOUND. It just slowly moved over us and floated over the trees towards the West. We couldn't see it afterward. The object (I don't know or care if it was aliens...it was just weird)was massive, like bigger than our house and it was like 50 ft above us and was completely silent the whole time. No whirr of motors or anything. We couldn't make out any details of the underside as it was pretty dark except for the light that I mentioned. Either way, it was really strange and I still get gooseflesh thinking about it today.
    So yeah, I've seen a UFO.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Seen UFOs (not drunk or high).

Never been abducted.

Definitely never been probed.

I read an interesting book on abduction some years ago, can't remember the name. It was written by a psychologist after he interviewed hundreds of people who claim to have been abducted. His basic conclusion was that these people were not faking, that they really believed that they had been abducted. He also noted that not one of them could provide any physical evidence.

Another interesting point (to me) is that while the evidence proving the existence of UFOs is overwhelming, there is essentially no evidence at all indicating the existence of aliens.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Yes I saw a flying thing about 10 years ago (don't care what it was but it wasn't any kind of flying device officially known) when I was hiking in Chile. It didn't make a sound and stood still in the air at our height but a couple of hundred meters away from us for at least 20 min before it silently flew away. I wouldn't even believe this myself anymore if there wouldn't have been 15 kids and two adults with me who all saw it. Nobody was intoxicated just a little exhausted.
    I scarcely tell the story to people because noone is taking you seriously when you talk about such things. So why the heck do I tell it in a public recordcollector forum??? Maybe because you asked.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I saw a UFO once with about 15 other people. The fact that more than half the people were on mushrooms didn't help corroborate the story though.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    the evidence proving the existence of UFOs is overwhelming

Are you serious?

Nothing has been proven. No scientifically confirmed evidence exists. None. The national enquirer doesn't count.

There is, however, a lot of speculation. And of course, an abundance of theories.

But overwhelming evidence proving the existence of UFOs????

If anything, I thought the second part of your post was more interesting. Although there is no proof, there are some interesting conjectures about the existence of ET life in the universe (the Drake Equation).

But I think onetet is correct.

the evidence proving the existence of UFOs is overwhelming

Are you serious?

Nothing has been proven. No scientifically confirmed evidence exists. None. The national enquirer doesn't count.

There is, however, a lot of speculation. And of course, an abundance of theories.

But overwhelming evidence proving the existence of UFOs????

If anything, I thought the second part of your post was more interesting. Although there is no proof, there are some interesting conjectures about the existence of ET life in the universe (the Drake Equation).

But I think onetet is correct.

Read the book Above Top Secret (not related to the conspiracy website of the same name). You might be surprised to learn that many countries (Brazil, Israel and others) have officially confirmed their existence in the face of overwhelming photo, radar and other evidence. There are numerous interviews, and all of them are with top scientists, Admirals, pilots etc. (no farmer brown seeing a light over the cornfield). The U.S. government has been in heavy denial mode (publicly), but much of the world has accepted them as fact.

Remember UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, not "ship from another planet with aliens inside".

Sorry, but your Enquirer comment is ridiculous, do some research.

Years ago I was going out with an Israeli girl when the topic of UFOs came up. I asked if she believed in them and she laughed. "Everyone in Israel knows they exist, I don't know anyone who hasn't seen them". For whatever reason, Israel is a hotspot for sightings.

Oddly enough, the U.S. has basically confirmed their existence as well to other countries, but not to their own citizens.

As an aside, the incidence of sightings has been declining for years now.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I was high....... in college I saw one w/ my friends on the highway heading towards Rochester....I was high....we all said to ourselves "yo, we all high but that red light aint moving like a helicopter/jet/whatever...i was high.....and shit lasted for a good 10 mins.....shit was like Greg Brady w/ the red light flashlight!!!

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    Seen one, never been abducted. Nothing on the level of house-sized silent sky triangles (shit is bonkers), but I was standing in the parking lot in front of my former apartment complex about five or six months ago, waiting for a buddy and totally sober, and a particularly bright star at which I'd been looking started squiggling around in bizarre geometrical formations. The friend showed and I brought another one over for confirmation; dunno what it was, but the sheer altitude at which it had to moving meant that the apparently minute jerks in different directions would have covered a massive amount of ground ...

• I saw a UFO with two other kids when I was 13 or 14 (before I'd ever been intoxicated on any substance)in the field above my neighbors house. One night we were walking down these rail-road tracks and I saw a strange light in the sky. As we got closer to home the light moved straight up very slowly and then moved towards us. It then flew directly over us so we could see that it was a huge object kinda triangular shaped and it DIDN'T MAKE A SOUND. It just slowly moved over us and floated over the trees towards the West. We couldn't see it afterward. The object (I don't know or care if it was aliens...it was just weird)was massive, like bigger than our house and it was like 50 ft above us and was completely silent the whole time. No whirr of motors or anything. We couldn't make out any details of the underside as it was pretty dark except for the light that I mentioned. Either way, it was really strange and I still get gooseflesh thinking about it today.
    So yeah, I've seen a UFO.

This is .

I've always heard about triangular shaped UFO's zipping around... was it symmetrical? inverted? schitt sounds terrifying.

• ddownddown 65 Posts

Read the book Above Top Secret (not related to the conspiracy website of the same name). You might be surprised to learn that many countries (Brazil, Israel and others) have officially confirmed their existence in the face of overwhelming photo, radar and other evidence. There are numerous interviews, and all of them are with top scientists, Admirals, pilots etc. (no farmer brown seeing a light over the cornfield). The U.S. government has been in heavy denial mode (publicly), but much of the world has accepted them as fact.

Remember UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, not "ship from another planet with aliens inside".

Sorry, but your Enquirer comment is ridiculous, do some research.

Years ago I was going out with an Israeli girl when the topic of UFOs came up. I asked if she believed in them and she laughed. "Everyone in Israel knows they exist, I don't know anyone who hasn't seen them". For whatever reason, Israel is a hotspot for sightings.

Oddly enough, the U.S. has basically confirmed their existence as well to other countries, but not to their own citizens.

As an aside, the incidence of sightings has been declining for years now.

Are you talking about the crappy Timothy Good book from about 20 years ago? Ha ha. That crackpot has written several books about encountering aliens for crying out loud. Yup, even your own Timothy Good writes about "ship from another planet with aliens inside".

I know what UFO technically stands for. But can we admit that this thread is about ET UFOs? If you set the bar so low as to encompass ANY unidentified flying object, then we all see hundreds each day.

But you're technically right (again, if we use your bar-so-low-that-it-renders-the-point-useless definition): many people and many countries acknowledge that they have seen things of unknown origin.

If you set the bar so low as to encompass ANY unidentified flying object, then we all see hundreds each day.

Really?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Possibly the greatest Halloween decorations of all-time....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ctrl+f harvey
    ??????????????????????????????????????

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    back when i was a kid living in connecticut in the late 70s, i went to the store across the street from my house around 7:30 at night (it was the time of the year when it's totally dark by 7:30). i come out of the store to head back home and look up in the sky like "OHHHH SNAP!!!!" to this day i have no idea what i saw, but it was shaped like a plane, made a sound kinda like what you'd think a plane would make... musta been a plane, right? three things wrong with that conclusion: one, it was flying WAY lower than any plane should be flying. it went right over my house, not low enough to hit it or anything, but just waaaaay lower than any plane should've been flying. two, it was moving pretty slow to be a plane that was so close... just kinda motoring along smoothly. three, and here's the big thing- the whole underside of this thing was lit up with white lights that were scrolling across in what looked like some kind of pattern... what it reminded me of back then was the lights you'd see on times square in NYC or on a scoreboard. First thing I do is look around on the street to see if anybody else sees this- not a soul is on the street. I get ready to run back in the store to tell the owner, then I decided to just run home and tell my mom. Mom is not interested, but I plead with her to come see it, so she begrudgingly follows me. On her way to the door she stubs her toe on the coffee table reeeeeal bad, now she's cursing and doesn't even care when i'm pointing out the lights in the sky that are now in the distance. At this point whatever this thing is just looks like a slightly v-shaped light, barely visible.

over the years i have basically tried to tell myself that this must have been some kind of airplane, maybe with special lights (it was a foggy night when i saw it). but i have NEVER found any evidence of any airplanes that have lights covering the underside of it like that. if any strutters know of any please let me know so i can finally get a good night's sleep.

also: i found this on the internet about a lot of ufo's that were sighted in the same general area (albeit about 4-5 years later) that had a lot of the same characteristics as the one I saw. Coincidence? I have no idea. I just know I saw what I saw... whatever it was.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts

also: i found this on the internet about a lot of ufo's that were sighted in the same general area (albeit about 4-5 years later) that had a lot of the same characteristics as the one I saw. Coincidence? I have no idea. I just know I saw what I saw... whatever it was.

I dunno if this'll help with the good night's sleep, but what's described in that article sounds/looks a lot like the objects from the Phoenix Lights sightings -- I think they're the single largest set of UFO sightings in American history, including as they did approx. 10,000 eyewitness reports, including the testimony of former Arizona governor Fife Symington ...

Ignore the wack intro and goofy "futuristic" Moog soundtrack and check this out around 1:30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONgzwxomLQ&feature=related
    Look like what you saw?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    no

peace, stein. . .

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    No but I was talking to a gentleman in the boozer the other day who swore on his life that he'd heard a spider fart.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    No but I was talking to a gentleman in the boozer the other day who swore on his life that he'd heard a spider fart.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I dunno if this'll help with the good night's sleep, but what's described in that article sounds/looks a lot like the objects from the Phoenix Lights sightings -- I think they're the single largest set of UFO sightings in American history, including as they did approx. 10,000 eyewitness reports, including the testimony of former Arizona governor Fife Symington ...

Ignore the wack intro and goofy "futuristic" Moog soundtrack and check this out around 1:30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONgzwxomLQ&feature=related
    Look like what you saw?

wish i could say it did, but not really... the phoenix lights were probably closer to the hudson valley sightings than either of them are to what i saw. it wasn't shaped like a triangle or boomerang, it was shaped like a plane... a long body with two wings on the side. and the lights didn't really look like the lights on the ufo in that youtube clip. so i'm just gonna go with the theory that what i saw was an experimental aircraft that the USAF was testing out in foggy conditions... yeah, that's the ticket

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    what i saw. it wasn't shaped like a triangle or boomerang, it was shaped like a plane... a long body with two wings on the side. and the lights didn't really look like the lights on the ufo

My mother swears blind she saw a UFO.
    I saw it too. It was a parachute flare.

To her it was unidentified.
    To me....not so much.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    Some have argued that memories of being abducted could be explained with a sleeping disorder.

"Hypnagogia (Greek ὕπνος, h??pnos "sleep" + the root found in ἄγω, ??gō "to lead away, conduct, convey", ἀγωγεύς, agōge??s "conveyor", ἀγωγή, agōgḗ "abduction, transport, leading away" etc.), often misspelled hypnogaia or hypnogogia, is a term coined by Alfred Maury for the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep."

"Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric ???tingles??? or ???vibrations???, imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings. SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings."

I have never experienced this myself but my father has several times (although he's never claimed to have been abducted) and he has told me that it's more intense than a dream and extremely terrifying. You're not actually asleep but between being asleep and awake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

• Some have argued that memories of being abducted could be explained with a sleeping disorder.

"Hypnagogia (Greek ὕπνος, h??pnos "sleep" + the root found in ἄγω, ??gō "to lead away, conduct, convey", ἀγωγεύς, agōge??s "conveyor", ἀγωγή, agōgḗ "abduction, transport, leading away" etc.), often misspelled hypnogaia or hypnogogia, is a term coined by Alfred Maury for the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep."

"Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric ???tingles??? or ???vibrations???, imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings. SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings."

I have never experienced this myself but my father has several times (although he's never claimed to have been abducted) and he has told me that it's more intense than a dream and extremely terrifying. You're not actually asleep but between being asleep and awake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

i was gonna post this in the recurring dream thread, but i might as well post it here. i've had hypnopompic hallucinations (like hypnagogic, but as you're waking up, not when you are falling asleep) for about 15 years. being a non-believer, i've always assumed that ghost and alien encounters have more than likely been related to these kind of hallucinations.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Emile Berliner - please tell us that Anal Probe story!!